Typical Tragedy

This poll doesn't work.

• Yay?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Noooooo.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
oh boy Zanza is a god what a shocker

Of course, here's where Nabber jumps in with all of his sarcasm.

In the original version of what I had planned out, Zanza wasn't a god, but Epsilon was. However, since Epsilon's light in its strongest form, I came to realize that that contradicted with the balance of light and darkness and the insistence that light doesn't mean good and darkness doesn't mean evil.

You'd have the one god with radiant light and the big bad with the strongest darkness.

That went against one of the overlying themes of the story.

However, it did allow me to properly justify Zanza's control of the trolls and, when they die, that user's power coming back to him.

tl;dr, suck it up.

(yes, the big bad is still a darkness user
however, I've said that darkness does tend to expose its users to corruption
and that they need to actively control it and themselves with it
darkness incarnate is not going to want to be controlled or control itself
however, this darkness was one of the creators of the world and used to be one with the light
long story short, mother fuckin' justified)

2:07 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: By the way, the overlying theme of Typical Tragedy is of light and darkness coexisting
2:07 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: And being responsible for creation.
2:08 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Every other element is made from a combination between the two
2:08 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: here's a semi-chart-thing
2:08 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Light - Electricity - Fire - Wind - Earth - Gravity - Water - Ice - Darkness
2:09 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Earth is an even mixture of light and darkness
2:09 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: and, to be sure you understand the concept, what happens when you add just a little bit of darkness to Earth?
2:10 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: (add a bit of darkness and take away the same amount of light, I mean)
2:11 AM - Stooben: I'm assuming it has to be one of those elements listed, so I would have to say Gravity
2:11 AM - Stooben: but i'm not really sure
2:11 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: You're right.
2:11 AM - Stooben: go me
2:12 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Each element between light and darkness contains both
2:12 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: but with the advantage of one determining its form
2:13 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: What would be a light-based element with just a tiny bit of darkness?
2:13 AM - Stooben: Electricity.
2:14 AM - Stooben: I think I get it now
2:14 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: You're right.
2:14 AM - Stooben: For some reason I didn't notice before that you had Light and Darkness at opposite ends of the chart :x
2:15 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: But now you get how it works, right?
2:15 AM - Stooben: yes
2:15 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: In Typical Tragedy, users are born with elemental affinities
2:15 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Which is one of the ones on that chart
2:16 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: The elemental affinities of the main cast are:
2:16 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Tabuu: Darkness, Alex: Fire, Smiley: Electricity, Walkazo: Wind, MBV: Darkness, Pantaro: Light
2:17 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Some characters are Sages.
2:17 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Sages are people born without an elemental affinity- which means they can freely use all of them.
2:17 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Like, a jack-of-all-stats.
2:17 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Get it?
2:19 AM - Stooben: Yes, I understand.
2:19 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: (by the way, you're "Gravity")
2:20 AM - Stooben: Not bad. I expected to be darker than that since I'm half-demon.
2:20 AM - Stooben: Gravity always wins too. B)
2:20 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: You're gravity because of your association with time. : P
2:21 AM - Stooben: Makes sense.
2:21 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: The blue flames can't properly be placed on the elemental affinities
2:22 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: and there's actually quite a bit of technicolor fire going on in TT
2:22 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: From weakest to strongest,
2:22 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Normal Fire/Black Fire - Golden Fire - Blue Fire - White Fire
2:23 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Black fire is a combination of fire and darkness, not a traditional element.
2:23 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: It's something that people synthesize- Jimmy Wales, for instance, uses it.
2:24 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Anyways the reason I was explaining all of this to you is because
2:25 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: In Typical Tragedy, the universe began as the consciousness of one being, Epsilon- whose existence was a perfect balance of light and darkness in a massive body of water floating out in empty space.
2:26 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Epsilon himself was the gathered cultural memory and data from another universe entirely- ours.
2:26 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: (basically, Epsilon is the Internet.)
2:27 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Epsilon knew everything about our universe, but wasn't omniscent.
2:27 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: He grew lonely and split his soul into two perfect halves-
2:27 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Light/Darkness, Yin/Yang, you know the deal.
2:28 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: The Light Half continued to be known as Epsilon, and the Dark Half became known as Maladios Lockheart.
2:28 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Working together, Epsilon and Lockheart created the Wiki World.
2:28 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: They then created life born with bits of inherent knowledge from our universe- in other words, users.
2:29 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Users were at first powerless until Lockheart and Wales crafted a spell that would allow them ot access their own powers based on their elemental affinities.
2:29 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: *to access
2:29 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: they inherently had these powers to begin with, but were unable to use them
2:30 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Lockheart added a thing to the spell that would make it so that
2:30 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Whenever a user died, they would take the form of a troll
2:30 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: and whenever that troll was killed, that users' power and consciousness would become one with his own.
2:31 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: This plan was figured out pretty early on, and Wales, with the first generation of users, defeated Lockheart, stripped him of his body, and sealed him away within the Rift.
2:32 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Even after he was sealed away, the power still continued to run to him- which fucked up the balance of the universe in ways I myself can't describe.
2:32 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Because of the fact these users were basically beings created from data
2:32 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: The wikis they created, while taking the familiar form of countries and cities and the such
2:33 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Were still devoted around cataloging the knowledge that they were born with.
2:33 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: A world of superpowered data junkies, in other words.
2:33 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Or...the Internet.
2:33 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Thoughts?
2:34 AM - Stooben: Well, first of all, you should get Morgan Freeman to read all of that
2:35 AM - Stooben: (in all seriousness, you've put a considerable amount of effort into the backstory of the wiki world's creation. it's not just "there" like in every other fiction, which is a bit refreshing)
2:35 AM - Stooben: I like how you used the Yin and Yang theory to build everything up.
2:36 AM - Stooben: And it also kind of promotes reincarnation, just not in the traditional sense.
2:37 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Do you know what helped me when I was crafting the world of Typical Tragedy?
2:37 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: My own struggles with the concepts of religion and spirituality.
2:38 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: So I went with the most logical and most overused element I could- the balance/battle/coexistence of light and darkness, Yin and Yang.
2:39 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: But I didn't like how light is commonly viewed as the element of creation and darkness the element of destruction.
2:39 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: I decided that, together, they would be the foundation of all creation.
2:39 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: And that destruction would be left to the creations themselves.
2:40 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: That's where the logical part comes in.
2:40 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: The religious aspects come in with Epsilon and Zanza.
2:40 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Zanza/Lockheart.
2:40 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Epsilon, pure light, Zanza, pure dark.
2:41 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: They were once equal halves of the same perfect being- which stresses the importance of inner balance, something that people of faith and people of sanity can agree on.
2:42 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: I explained Light as, to put it simply- control.
2:42 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Restraint over yourself, leadership.
2:42 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Or control over others, like a dictator.
2:42 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: I explained Darkness as chaos.
2:42 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Base emotions, base impulse.
2:43 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Unrestrained desire, the rebel yell.
2:43 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: And at its worst, a destructive monster that only wishes to feed itself.
2:44 AM - Stooben: this was a lot more than just some wiki fiction for you, wasn't it
2:44 AM - Stooben: You almost seemed to have been aiming for a spiritual concept.
2:44 AM - Stooben: not bad
2:45 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: All of the problems in the world of Typical Tragedy- but all of the good, as well- lie at the point where light and darkness was divided.
2:46 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Epsilon would've been a dictator if he had a physical body to use.
2:46 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Instead, he was just selfish.
2:46 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: He created people gravitated towards light to protect his aquatic form.
2:47 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Lockheart was absolute darkness, and so, he was greedy.
2:47 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: He seeked out a way to break the balance- for the power that he and Epsilon once distributed evenly to all come back to him.
2:48 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Despite the difference between the two creators, what they created was arguably the good of their labor- but neither side truly appreciated the life they had made together.
2:49 AM - Stooben: Sounds like a lot of inner-turmoil coming to head between them.
2:50 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: It's the human condition, isn't it?
2:50 AM - Stooben: pretty much
2:50 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: What I created in the world of Typical Tragedy was a painting of the Internet
2:51 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: But the canvas that held that painting was what I considered a perfectly balanced, perfectly even, perfectly fair base.
2:52 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Every single user is born with a snippet of predetermined knowledge on a certain subject
2:52 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: And they will spend their lives adding that knowledge to an archive for their fellow creations to see.
2:53 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: People existed with an admittedly small amount of elemental affinities for the types of personalities alloted within the world
2:53 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Which is why I introduced individualized user weapons and abilities
2:53 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: All of which would draw upon those affinities in different ways
2:54 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Emphasizing the individual at the core of society.
2:54 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: One in a million. Unique.
2:55 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: What I created was the best cariacature of the world and its people that I could imagine.
2:55 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: What do you think?
2:57 AM - Stooben: I think you did a really good job. And that you managed to wrap it all up and bring it to an end (well, looks like there might be room for a sequel, but you know what I mean) is impressive.
2:57 AM - Stooben: You put more effort into this than any of your previous works. That's for sure.
2:57 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: I put my soul into this.
2:57 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: In this massive world I created, there's a ton of tales that could be told
2:58 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: But in the end, Typical Tragedy is a narrative that parralels my own development
2:58 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Me trying to come to terms with my identity in something much bigger than I am.
2:58 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: At the end of Typical Tragedy
2:58 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Both gods will be dead.
2:59 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: All that will be left is the users and the animals and the Wiki World.
2:59 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: And in that world without its creators, everything will continue.
3:00 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Life and death, but no rebirth.
3:00 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: With Zanza's passing, people won't become trolls when they die
3:00 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: They'll just die, like normal people do
3:01 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: But of course, their remains and all that excess energy will become one with nature, just like it does here
3:01 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: And that chain of energy and life will continue on for ages afterwards.
3:02 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Every story I've written is the symbol of another step in my development as a person and as a writer.
3:02 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: And, well, this is the biggest one I've ever made.
3:02 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: And in the shortest amount of time, too.
3:02 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: I guess you could say that means my pace is increasing
3:02 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: And, well, I'm starting to run
3:03 AM - Stooben: You're getting more fluent with your methods.
3:03 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: And since I'm finally picking up my pace, I don't plan to stop.
3:03 AM - Stooben: I only noticed one significant pause in your work this time
3:03 AM - Stooben: good for you
3:03 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Yeah.
3:03 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Typical Tragedy never hit a standstill
3:03 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Until what happened with Smiley
3:03 AM - Stooben: yes
3:04 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: but the image of the ideal world I created
3:04 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: And the assistance of the very real people who I made it based on
3:04 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Got me through.
3:04 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: You haven't read Typical Tragedy and probably don't plan to, but
3:04 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Thank you.
3:05 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: The original end I had planned for TT was Tabuu just laying down to relax at the end of the adventure
3:06 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: But after the developments with Smiley, I changed it to a scenario where Tabuu, while having grown wiser from his experiences
3:06 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Still wasn't quite done with the journey of trying to learn who he is.
3:06 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: And at the very end, Tabuu's going to set out into the world
3:06 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: By himself, without friends or family
3:06 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: To find the answer himself.
3:06 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: The guy writing it obviously won't
3:07 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: But fiction's all about hyperbole anyways.
3:07 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Tabuu will find himself
3:07 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: And I'll find myself, too.
3:07 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: So, yeah.
3:07 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: To me, Typical Tragedy wasn't just another Userpedia fiction.
3:08 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Typical Tragedy was something I put my soul into, or, rather, the best picture of it I could paint for you guys.
3:09 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: What do you think?
3:11 AM - Stooben: I think TT was a good outlet for your frustration and many of the thoughts swimming around your head in recent times. Turned into a pretty good piece from what I know and have heard, too. I wouldn't be surprised if you at least get bronze in the Awards for it.
3:11 AM - Stooben: And no, I don't plan on reading TT, but it's not something against your brand of fiction. I...really just don't get into wiki fiction like I used to. At all.
3:12 AM - Stooben: The only thing I read is the very occasional sprite comic, but even that's a stretch these days.
3:12 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Yeah, I get ya.
3:12 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: But Typical Tragedy isn't just another Wiki fiction.
3:12 AM - {Travis Touchdown}: Typical Tragedy is anything but.

the worst criticism i've got is about a few grammar error things that i'm fixing right now

Okay. This is an absolutely fantastic job. Honestly. I can tell with several parts that you were taking your own experiences and feelings and pouring them out to make it that much more real. It's wonderful.

The fight scenes were superb, what with the final finish and all. And the story threads have finally been woven together so that everything fits. I can't think of any loose ends, actually.

also murzon lived that's cool

I don't even really see the point of a rating, but I give you a
9.9/10 because of the grammar oh wait i fixed those already : )
10/10 100% A+ whatever you feel like

yes, but I lost interest

I never lose interest in collabs, though- especially considering this is actually mainly Dippy's idea

Travis Touchdown said:
I never lose interest in collabs, though- especially considering this is actually mainly Dippy's idea
i seem to recall a bunch of ill-fated collabs you were planning to make previously

I'm serious! Scarecrow was frightened away by murder fantasies (okay, kind of my fault), Neu got really busy, and Alex lost computer internet access!

NOT MY FAULT.

And now for my side of the coin; even if I agree to do a collaboration with him someday, it won't be anytime soon. I've got something else I'm working on right now.

Nabber said:
Yeah I'll be honest I got kinda bored of this story. :P
Fair enough.

Chihiro Fujisaki said:
And now for my side of the coin; even if I agree to do a collaboration with him someday, it won't be anytime soon. I've got something else I'm working on right now.
Alright, bro.

Troy & Abed in the Morning said:
Travis Touchdown said:
Scarecrow was frightened away by murder fantasies (okay, kind of my fault),

MAYBE KIND OF ALMOST
NOT MY FAULT YOU'RE SO SQUEAMISH

so what i'm getting from this thread

is that you should go ahead and make more sequels to that mansion thing

(how about on a cruise ship this time it's cooler)

Sorry to post-mortem, but I'm only at finale: part II and have problems...
"set the lock at release at the critical" - I don't quite understand that part of the sentence.
"save your fiance’s life" & "the man killing my fiance" - you're talking about Alice so it should be fiancee
Javvy weren't you looking for this sort of stuff to fix?

I finished reading this yesterday, and I found it pretty interesting, and very good, especially towards the end. I'd give it about 8/10, probably.

Bec Noir said:
"set the lock at release at the critical" - I don't quite understand that part of the sentence.
"save your fiance’s life" & "the man killing my fiance" - you're talking about Alice so it should be fiancee
there were more obvious things that were easier to fix

i didn't feel like going around to find an e with an accent just to make it perfect

oh and i didn't edit finale II only finale III and IV

Jack Noir said:
Bec Noir said:
there were more obvious things that were easier to fix

i didn't feel like going around to find an e with an accent just to make it perfect

oh and i didn't edit finale II only finale III and IV

Okay, but I never meant the accent-e because I don't know how to do that; it's just that the fiance is the man, not the woman.

Back