How many languages are you fluent in?

MCS

Donkey Kong
I only speak English, but am taking Spanish this year.

Re: How many languages do you speak?

English.

A bit of Espanol.

A few words in German.

Yes and no in Russian.

Re: How many languages do you speak?

Nega-Man said:
I was talking about languages you're fluent in.

Oh. Well, just english. And I'm not gonna bother learning how to speak fluently in any other language. Learning english when I was a kid was difficult enough.

Only English. Plan to learn Italian sometime in the next few months, tho.

I am fluent in English.

I took 4 years of Japanese in high school. Konbanwa! Watashi no namae wa Erieru desu. Watashi wa ni juu ni sai desu. (こんにちは。私の名前はアリエルです。私は22歳です。) But I am by NO means fluent in Japanese.

I learned in my education classes that young children learn a foreign language MUCH better/faster than an adult. Their brains are more like sponges at that age and yeah, can learn other languages much easier than adults/teens.

Yeah, because when you learn a language when you're younger, it sticks to you. That's why I hope I'm fluent in Spanish by college, since I'm taking another Spanish course in high school.

Nega-Man said:
Yeah, because when you learn a language when you're younger, it sticks to you. That's why I hope I'm fluent in Spanish by college, since I'm taking another Spanish course in high school.
Yeah maybe if you take enough classes in Spanish. Also, even after 4 years of Japanese, I forgot SO MANY things. I know a few things here and there, and I know how to read Hiragana, Katakana, and some Kanji.
But the BEST way is to start off taking a language as a young child.

Doesn't your brain stop developing when you're 20 or so? Because if that's the case, that's why it's better to learn languages at a young age. I mean, I have a D in Spanish right now, but that's only because I turned in some things late. I'm paying attention as much as I can.

Only English, though I would like to learn Spanish at some point.

Nega-Man said:
Doesn't your brain stop developing when you're 20 or so? Because if that's the case, that's why it's better to learn languages at a young age. I mean, I have a D in Spanish right now, but that's only because I turned in some things late. I'm paying attention as much as I can.
Actually, the best time is in early childhood. I had a teacher once who spoke only Russian to his kids for the first three years of their life, and then put them into a normal English-speaking preschool.

They can now speak fluent Russian and English.

I am fluent only in English, though I am learning (and failing) Chinese

There have been topics like this before, but whatever.

First language: English
Next: Spanish and German
Just a bunch of random bits: French, Japanese, and Russian come to my mind first.

In the right order of learned in history:
Polish (perfect in speaking, horrible in writing).
Dutch (perfect).
English (very good).
German (I can understand them very well, but I don't speak it very well).
Japanese (a handful of words and sentences, I can read Kana, and a few Kanji).

Steelers Suck said:
somewhat fluent

no such thing

Raphael said:
Japanese (thanks to anime with english subtitles)

Oh, please
f957bc8dfcd8d1b8762b5df9601941d3491ba56d_full.jpg

Fluent in English and Japanese.

Sufficient German.

Back