Booster's Tower 3D (Source Engine)

Totakeke

3D Modeler
Hey guys, I'm making a 3D recreation of Booster's Tower from Super Mario RPG!

My goal is to make it into a control-point map for Team Fortress 2.

This is a VERY early preview of the work in progress

All models you see (including Snifit) are made and animated by me.

[edit] Proper lighting now
FFF8A7CF6D0CC6A02B1AA6A4CFEE32ECC50BB362

Thanks everyone! I'm glad you like what you see! I'm working every day on this and hopefully by November or December, I will have a complete release.

Team Fortress 2 is fortunately free to play, so you will all get a chance to try it out!

I am constantly posting new screenshots as work progresses, on my steam profile, located here:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/totakeke/screenshots/

You can see some screenshots of the other models I've made so far, like the Bobomb and the Fireball.
I am currently working on the item chest model.

Are you gonna release it to the public to play? If so, I just got TF2 and was thinking about playing on it.

Yes definitely, that's the goal.

I'm including lots of easter eggs too, such as hidden rooms that weren't in the original tower.
It will be fun to explore even if you don't like first-person shooters. :D

I'd rather not give a release date. But I CAN promise that it will be done by Christmas, at least. I've been completing a single model each day for the past week, so if I keep this pace up I'll already have all the model assets done by this week, and can actually begin making the rooms themselves very soon.

The Chomp is actually the next model I'm making. :) And should be the last one, too. Just finished the Thwomp, check it out.

model_mosaic___booster__s_tower_by_i_eat_aliens-d4ah1h1.png

I take it you've so far only done that one room? It looks really good and professional; have high hopes for some grand Sniper vantage points.

Although those stairs bother me a bit. Perhaps ye should make them inclined, so people can simply walk up them rather than having to jump up them. Just a thought.

That certainly is some cool and impressive work! I like how you included the Booster's family portrait.

Do you plan on having the models affect the game in some way (for ex, having a falling Thwomp kill the player)?

Remilia Bloody Scarlet said:
I take it you've so far only done that one room? It looks really good and professional; have high hopes for some grand Sniper vantage points.

Although those stairs bother me a bit. Perhaps ye should make them inclined, so people can simply walk up them rather than having to jump up them. Just a thought.

Yeah I've concentrated on getting the assets done first. Textures + models.
The stairs have been a concern for me too. While I want to remain as faithful to the original game as possible, I know they probably won't work in a game like Team Fortress 2 with the way they are now. I will definitely be changing those. Right now there is decreased gravity around the stairs, allowing you to jump onto them, but it doesn't feel like a smooth process. Platforming like this just feels awkward in a first person shooter.

Glowsquid said:
Do you plan on having the models affect the game in some way (for ex, having a falling Thwomp kill the player)?

Yes. The models all have uses.

In fact, in order to progress, the seesaw with the Thwomp must be used. A Heavy (and only a Heavy can do this) must jump on the other end of the seesaw.
The Thwomp will shoot into the air and come crashing back down, throwing the Heavy into a high platform containing a switch that will open a path for the rest of the team.

The Bob-ombs will be walking around, and they can be shot until their health reaches 0HP, at which point, they explode.

Paper Bowser said:
Cool. Can you make a model of Booster and the Booster Exspress too?

The Booster Express most likely is a yes. Not sure about Booster yet, if I can think of a good way to integrate him into the map I will.

But my goal right now is to include only the non-human characters from the SNES game. I think including human characters would not work well, because this is Team Fortress 2 we are talking about. The SMRPG humans and the TF2 humans would really clash in appearance and style. It would just look weird.

There ARE references to Mario, Geno, and Mallow in the outside area of the tower, that will make you know those characters are present there, but just hiding in the background out of sight.
I won't say more as I want that to be a cool easter egg for people to find. 8)

I certainly think they'd be fun to model and animate. I'll try and see if I can find a good spot (or use) for them.
Maybe I can make a mini-game room with them or something.

This is really awesome. Well done, and I can't wait to see the finished product. Very impressive indeed.

Thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement. :)

Here's the finished Chain Chomp.
http://i-eat-aliens.deviantart.com/#/d4amavl

I forgot I still have to make models of the birdcage and the dolls, in the second to the last room of the tower (where Mario hides behind the curtains.)
Does anyone remember if there are birds in that cage, or was it beetles?

Calling all artists! I've got a proposition for you.

I would like to have the Booster family portraits be real pieces of art done by an artist.

Right now the portraits are just vectorized versions of the original sprites, so they don't look too great.

There will be a "Credits" room in the map dedicated solely to crediting anyone who contributed to the project.
So far I've done all the work, but if you submit the portraits to me, I'll include your name (and website URL) in the credits room as well.
You won't be getting any money for your contribution, but if my map becomes popular, everyone will see your work, as well as your name, so you could grow fame, and lots of attention to your work.

Idk, but what about that thing that makes Mario 8-bit?
Sorry, this is impossible in the Source engine. I can't make the player models turn into 8-bit sprites just like that.

Back