Thunder Cloud

Snowstalker

Snowstalker
Why are they bringing it back? Absolutely nobody thought it was a good idea (at least things like the Blue Shell are polarizing), and frankly it seems that Mario Kart is getting more and more punishing for people who happen to be better. There's the element of chance, and then there's this.

Nintendo can be stupid sometimes.

Snowstalker said:
Why are they bringing it back? Absolutely nobody thought it was a good idea (at least things like the Blue Shell are polarizing), and frankly it seems that Mario Kart is getting more and more punishing for people who happen to be better. There's the element of chance, and then there's this.

I'm sure somebody thought it was a good addition. Anyways, I thought it just made the game more hectic to play. The way the items were chosen was (in my opinion) the culprit behind the punishing gameplay. Of course, it's been a few years since I've played, so I don't remember everything about the game.

I like it, it make's the game more challenging.

New Super Yoshi said:

There's a difference between genuine challenge and simply punishing people for not sucking. Mario Kart has gone from the former to the latter. It was moving that way in DD, got a bit better in DS, and then MKW utterly destroyed the idea of skill.

But did Nintendo really not listen to the reception on the new concepts?

Snowstalker said:
New Super Yoshi said:

There's a difference between genuine challenge and simply punishing people for not sucking. Mario Kart has gone from the former to the latter. It was moving that way in DD, got a bit better in DS, and then MKW utterly destroyed the idea of skill.

But did Nintendo really not listen to the reception on the new concepts?
Well probably not.

Wait. Am I missing something here? Why is it punishing to better players? If you're a "better player," you would probably be in first or second most of the time, where you don't typically receive a Thunder Cloud. When I get it, I'm usually in the middle places, like 4th-7th; there's always people to pass it on to.

That's the problem. If I may speak on the behalf of the OP, the item helps those players in lower positions (which you can assume are less skillful) and makes it easier for them to catch up. Players in higher positions therefore have to fight harder in order to keep their place.

Leonyx said:
That's the problem. If I may speak on the behalf of the OP, the item helps those players in lower positions (which you can assume are less skillful) and makes it easier for them to catch up. Players in higher positions therefore have to fight harder in order to keep their place.
Yeah, you will only get good items if your in a low position.

I hate when you're doing a 2-player race and you're about to catch up to the other person and you get a thunder cloud, which makes you lose.

I don't see a problem with players in lower positions receiving better items. It's more of a challenge. I think it works out quite nicely.

I don't mind the Thunder Cloud. What I do mind is having sucky powerups when you are in first or second. I think that the items should be evenly spread out, unless you're in like 12th.

Bananas and green shells are a blessing in first place. Fake item boxes suck, though, because they can't block anything.

cuttlefishCuller said:
Bananas and green shells are a blessing in first place. Fake item boxes suck, though, because they can't block anything.

The thing is that there has to be some element of challenge for the best people, but MKW took it too far with the strengthened blue shell, and many more broken items that get a lot more common. I mean, is it really justified to get a Mega Mushroom in 3rd place?

Mega Mushroom in 3rd place? Sounds like you're playing with the items turned to Aggressive.

Anyway, I actually agree with you. I hate the Thunder Cloud. Unless you manage to bump it into someone, which isn't always the easiest task in the world, it hurts you rather than help.

Doofenshmirtz Evil said:
I don't mind the Thunder Cloud. What I do mind is having sucky powerups when you are in first or second. I think that the items should be evenly spread out, unless you're in like 12th.

I don't think the items you get in first are sucky (except for the item boxes). They can be very useful, especially in first place. Besides, you don't really need a Blue Shell (or Spiny Shell, whatever) in first place. That wouldn't make sense.

If Nintendo decided to evenly spread out the items, people who had more skill would be able to stay in first place. Basically, it would be like any other arcade racer.

Leonyx said:
Besides, you don't really need a Blue Shell (or Spiny Shell, whatever) in first place. That wouldn't make sense.

I received a Spiny Shell and moved up to first without using it once. I decided to try it out to see what would happen. It still hit me ;_;

Leonyx said:
If Nintendo decided to evenly spread out the items, people who had more skill would be able to stay in first place. Basically, it would be like any other arcade racer.

Exactly my point. The items are pretty much the whole schtick of MarioKart. You can turn items off, but where's the fun in that?

While I do find it annoying at times, the Thunder Cloud is actually an interesting item. It gives the whole danger feel whenever the player is getting an item, and I think that Nintendo did this so that we don't get too confident with getting good items every time we hit an item box. It makes the game feel more hectic with passing the cloud around as well. With other crazy items like the star,Mega Mushroom, and Golden Mushroom around, it is good to see some items that are more dangerous to the players as opposed to being useful for them. It helps to balance the item roulette wheel...

Propeller Toad said:
While I do find it annoying at times, the Thunder Cloud is actually an interesting item. It gives the whole danger feel whenever the player is getting an item, and I think that Nintendo did this so that we don't get too confident with getting good items every time we hit an item box. It makes the game feel more hectic with passing the cloud around as well. With other crazy items like the star,Mega Mushroom, and Golden Mushroom around, it is good to see some items that are more dangerous to the players as opposed to being useful for them. It helps to balance the item roulette wheel...

You make a good point actually. While the Thunder Cloud is an item meant to help those in lower positions, it's the only item like that that can backfire if used incorrectly (well, it's the only assisting item that can backfire without being in first place), adding a small amount of skill aspect that is necessary to improve your place.

cuttlefishCuller said:
Leonyx said:

Exactly my point. The items are pretty much the whole schtick of MarioKart. You can turn items off, but where's the fun in that?

We're not arguing that items be removed from Mario Kart. We're arguing that the way the item system is now is detrimental to those of a higher skill level. Basically, better players are punished much more often.

Back