Oh My God.

Mariomario64

Shine Sprite
There was just a 5.8-magnitude earthquake in Virginia. Not good.
Furthermore, I, in New Jersey, felt tremors. It was freakin scary.

Yeah, I felt it in Pennsylvania. I was like, "What just happened?" One of my friends in New York felt tremors from it too.

There was an earthquake?

Anyway, earthquakes are not too uncommon in California. But they are sure scary.

This was on the east coast.

They just changed it to 5.9 in Virginia. People are actually evacuating in D.C. right now.

Woah. I hope everyone's okay. Are there any active people here from the states affected?

Earthquakes are luckily quite uncommon over here in the United Kingdom.

(not counting non-magnitude ones)

I don't think 5.0 would cause damage. And people are overreacting, in my opinion. It is really difficult to predict earthquakes and I think a 7.0 earthquake strikes randomly.

My dad was working at his AT&T building when it happened. He said the whole building(s) was swaying. Here, it only happened for about 30 seconds.

You're quite far from the epicenter. When I had a 4.0 earthquake, the epicenter wasn't too far from my place. It felt like the house was on rough waters.

According to @Breaking on Twitter, the quake was felt as far away as Ohio.

Is that worrying?

It hit right where my cousins' lake house is, so we're kinda worried. We're trying to call them, but the lines down there are so busy because of what happened.

5.0 earthquake is about 10x as powerful as a 4.0 earthquake.

Don't panic guys. I don't know how rare earthquakes are in that region, but I extremely anxious about "The Big One" in California.

For a fact, 5.0 earthquakes that occur in Baja California can even be felt here.

I read the news. It was a 5.9 earthquake to be exact. Wow, that's powerful. The most powerful one I felt was a 4.3 one. Beware of aftershocks!

Thank goodness the 5.9 wasn't closer to my place. I just hope there's not a strong aftershock.

Wow, am I glad that we never have any earthquakes in The Netherlands (with an exception of one specific time in Roermond).
But still, I hope everyone is fine.
But a 5,0, that sounds very painful (to me, a 1,5 already sounds painful, since I don't know how an earthquake feels like).

(And what's a tremor?)

Glad nobody here was hurt. At least it wasn't something of very high magnitude, like an 8.0. I've never felt a single earthquake in my life, so count me lucky.

A tremor just sounds weaker version of an earthquake.

According to the Richter scale, 5.0 causes some damage at the epicenter. If there's damage in the buildings, it is possible someone could get hurt, because it's the poorly built structures that kill/injure people.

An earthquake feels like something is grabbing your house and shaking it like crazy. Including the floor.

YamiHoshi.nl said:
Wow, am I glad that we never have any earthquakes in The Netherlands (with an exception of one specific time in Roermond).
But still, I hope everyone is fine.
But a 5,0, that sounds very painful (to me, a 1,5 already sounds painful, since I don't know how an earthquake feels like).

(And what's a tremor?)
5.0 is pretty bad, but not as major as others can be.
A tremor, when you're talking earthquake terms, is basically when the ground shakes for a while. An earthquake is a really big tremor.

6.0 is 10x worse than a 5.0, mind you.

yeah i live about 20 miles from the epicenter.

but having spent a lot of my life in japan, i've felt worse

Yikes, that sounds terrible. I'm glad it didn't affect where I live, but I feel bad for the people it did hit. At least nobody here got hurt.

Back