If Nintendo didn't own Mario...

-----

the coolest dude ever
Pronouns
he/him
It's just an interesting thought to see what Bungie, Microsoft, Sony, or Sega could do with Mario. Capcom and Konami would be very interesting.

If Nintendo didn't own Mario...
WHERE WOULD VIDEO GAMES BE TODAY.
NOWHERE. ABSOLUTELY NOWHERE.

That's how I see it.

Ditto here. Mr. Game & Watch may have been the original mascot for Nintendo, but Nintendo wouldn't go very far without that famous plumber.

They do pass off their characters to other third party developers sometimes, so I guess we get to see what they would do with them. Nintendo is the only first party developer that's doing unique things with their characters, so I don't think I'd like to see them in the theiving hands of Sony.

Leonyx said:
Nintendo is the only first party developer that's doing unique things with their characters, so I don't think I'd like to see them in the theiving hands of Sony.
Thieving hands of Sony?

What did they steal? All I can think of are the Wii's shitty motion controls.

Mario Games would suck and be like movie games.

New Super Yoshi said:
Mario Games would suck and be like movie games.

Because every non-Nintendo game is a shitty movie game...

Leonyx said:
They do pass off their characters to other third party developers sometimes, so I guess we get to see what they would do with them. Nintendo is the only first party developer that's doing unique things with their characters, so I don't think I'd like to see them in the theiving hands of Sony.
I thought they only did that once.

Remilia Scarlet said:
Leonyx said:
Nintendo is the only first party developer that's doing unique things with their characters, so I don't think I'd like to see them in the theiving hands of Sony.
Thieving hands of Sony?

What did they steal? All I can think of are the Wii's *bleep*ty motion controls.

And the drive for the NES. And 3D gaming. And the joystick. And the modern first-person shooter.
Should I go on?
Nintendo saved this market with their own hands, and they're repayed with a bunch of bashing.

Leonyx said:
Sony are cool they where involved in one of the best series ever and you only need to look at my avatar and sig to know which series.Mario would be kinda bad if anyone else owned him though.

I'd imagine there would probably be even more educational games and rancid minigames compilation packed in cereal boxes. The platformers would probably be multiplatform. I'm mostly thinking from a "What if Nintendo licensed Mario right now to any developers" perspective as I really can't imagine the state of the industry without a Nintendo-developed Mario.

And the drive for the NES. And 3D gaming. And the joystick. And the modern first-person shooter.
Should I go on?

There is something to be said about Sony's relative unoriginality (though I lol @ the term "stealing" since it implies good ideas shouldn't be appropriated for the good of industry because of some warped sense of ownership) but even there, the examples you provide are bogus.

the drive for the NES

uhhhh if you're talking about the Famicom Disk drive, 1: console add-ons did not start with the NES and 2: Sony never made any system using rewritable disks.

If you're talking about the SNES cd-addon, it's still nonsense because:

1: Many standalone videogame systems and add-ons already used cds as a format (the SNES CD itself started as a direct response to the Sega CD even)

2: Nintendo granted a contract to Sony for developing the add-on and then broke it. Sony didn't "steal" anything, they merely continued what they started instead of having all the money spend on the project wasted... which is a perfectly sensible and rational thing to do.

And 3D gaming.

Nevermind that 3D gameplay existed as early as this and remained somewhat common on western computer platforms, how the hell can anyone claim ownership on an entire dimension. "3D Gaming" is such a basic, varied and wide-encompassing concept that claiming that anyone is "stealing" it is ludicrous. Is every video game played on a screen "stealing" from Spacewar? Are every consoles with swapabble games "stealing" from the Fairchild Channel F?

And the joystick

If you're talking about the Analog sticks, those existed on home consoles as far back as the Atari 5200 and the Vectrex, and they remained used in dedicated arcade setups and the ocassional peripheral. Nintendo simply reintroduced them as the default on home consoles and made them more viable than what they were before.

And the modern first-person shooter.

I have no idea what you mean by "modern" (fully 3D? The two-weapons, health-regen, popamole style of gameplay popularised by Halo?), but even there most of what I said about 3D gaming also applies.

Nintendo saved this market with their own hands, and they're repayed with a bunch of bashing

If you're sticking to the lopside Gamespot and IGN console wars (lol) flamefest, maybe. It's silly to say Nintendo has never been (and currently isn't) given accolades for all the innovations and advances it brought to the medium.

Yeah, I worded my post too strongly. Sony has a habit of taking ideas Nintendo has popularized and putting it in their own creations. I just don't like how they rarely come up with things themselves, but they do improve on the designs, so it does help the gaming industry. I have nothing against Sony.

Leonyx said:
Yeah, I worded my post too strongly. Sony has a habit of taking ideas Nintendo has popularized and putting it in their own creations. I just don't like how they rarely come up with things themselves, but they do improve on the designs, so it does help the gaming industry. I have nothing against Sony.
Yeah like playstation move which is the same as the Wii remote but less cool, they also copy Microsoft's idea. The PS3 would have not been an HD console if Microsoft did not make theirs HD.

Nintendo has many more characters than just Mario, but they'll have a way smaller userbase without Mario, as the most Nintendo fans, are Mario fans, or at least 1 specific category of Mario.

New Super Yoshi said:
Yeah like playstation move which is the same as the Wii remote but less cool, they also copy Microsoft's idea. The PS3 would have not been an HD console if Microsoft did not make theirs HD.
Actually, PlayStation Move is the same as the Wiimote, but more functional. Also, just because Microsoft made a HD compatible console first, doesn't mean Sony hadn't already intended to do the same; in fact, it was the only logical step forward for all three companies in the way of graphics processing, making Nintendo the anomaly for sticking to 480p resolution when designing the Wii.

Remilia Scarlet said:
New Super Yoshi said:
Actually, PlayStation Move is the same as the Wiimote, but more functional. Also, just because Microsoft made a HD compatible console first, doesn't mean Sony hadn't already intended to do the same; in fact, it was the only logical step forward for all three companies in the way of graphics processing, making Nintendo the anomaly for sticking to 480p resolution when designing the Wii.
Ok I get what you mean but nintendo said that the Wii U would be in HD.

New Super Yoshi said:
Remilia Scarlet said:
New Super Yoshi said:
Ok I get what you mean but nintendo said that the Wii U would be in HD.
HD?

Crackin355 said:
I guess I would expect Mario the Shooter 50th Special Gold Arcade Edition.
Really, Mario in a shooter, no way.

Well Donkey Kong was originally supposed to be a Popeye game before they lost the license for the latter, so yer scenario almost happened.

Remilia Scarlet said:
Well Donkey Kong was originally supposed to be a Popeye game before they lost the license for the latter, so yer scenario almost happened.
I would see Popeye Kart 7 and Super Popeye 3Dvland coming out.

Back