Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Only Video Games that are Licensed by Ninteno

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Daniel Dyce

That's what I call hamburgers
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Wiki Staff
This is just a poll to see what people think is Canon in the Mario series after voting please state your reason in the comments.

Everything but the movie.

Nothing in a series where a character can be from Brooklyn and the Mushroom Kingdom there is no canon. In a series where the main character is a Carpenter, a plumber, a doctor, and a construction worker there is no canon

caligulasAquarium said:
I say just the games because the cartoons and the movie clearly have a different timeline.
Their is no time line it's impossible to make one since their are so many games that prevent each other from making one. Also i would like to point out that even some things from the cartoons have entered the canon of the series most notably the fact that Mario and Luigi are from Brooklyn a fact that has been acknowledged by the games themselves

I think it's possible to make a timeline, but it would be incredibly difficult. However, there already is a loose timeline in place. Games like Yoshi's Island are at the beginning and games like Galaxy are last. The spin-offs take place inbetween the main series games, and the offshoot series like Paper Mario are their own timelines.

twinArmageddons said:
I think it's possible to make a timeline, but it would be incredibly difficult. However, there already is a loose timeline in place. Games like Yoshi's Island are at the beginning and games like Galaxy are last. The spin-offs take place inbetween the main series games, and the offshoot series like Paper Mario are their own timelines.
No none of the events link up at points only loose acknowledgments of certain games

Given the differences, I'd say the canon Marioverse is just the Nintendo made/published games (and maybe even excluding a few of the sports games, like the Olympic games). Certainly not the movie or the cartoons (though I did like the comics)

Snowstalker said:
Given the differences, I'd say the canon Marioverse is just the Nintendo made/published games (and maybe even excluding a few of the sports games, like the Olympic games). Certainly not the movie or the cartoons (though I did like the comics)
Actually the comics would still be canon since they appeared in Nintendo published things like the Nintendo Comics system and Club Nintendo as well as Nintendo Power

Tatanga said:
Nothing in a series where a character can be from Brooklyn and the Mushroom Kingdom there is no canon. In a series where the main character is a Carpenter, a plumber, a doctor, and a construction worker there is no canon

Why would you make a poll, then tell everyone what their answer should be? That doesn't make sense.

Leonyx said:
Tatanga said:

Why would you make a poll, then tell everyone what their answer should be? That doesn't make sense.
Because i wanted people to explain their answer and i'm explaining mine

Tatanga said:
twinArmageddons said:
No none of the events link up at points only loose acknowledgments of certain games
Like I said, there is a loose timeline in place. You could organize the games that follow that timeline, and then fill in the others by the release order. It's doable, but it would not be much use.

I say everything is canon, and the events all happen in their own universes, kind of like a Super Mario Bros. multi-verse.

Central Universe/Universe 1: The side scrollers and platformers (also includes the Yoshi, DK, and Wario games, IMO).
Universe 2: The Paper Mario games
Universe 3: The Mario & Luigi games
Universe 4: The cartoon trilogy
Universe 5: The comics
Universe 6: The movie
Universe 7: The spin-offs.
Universe 8: Anything not already mentioned (Hotel Mario, Mario is Missing).

twinArmageddons said:
Tatanga said:
twinArmageddons said:
Like I said, there is a loose timeline in place. You could organize the games that follow that timeline, and then fill in the others by the release order. It's doable, but it would not be much use.
How could Paper Mario take place in it's own universe when characters from it have appeared in non paper mario games. And certain games like Super Mario World don't have spots in this timeline nor does Super Mario Land and you can't do those games by release dates because that creates a plot hole

You aren't even listening to anything I've said. There is a loose timeline. This is the definition of loose. Also, the Paper series can take place in their own universe that is a two-dimensional version of the normal universe.

Super Mario World also takes place in the timeline because it is the first time Mario meets Yoshi (not counting when he was a baby because he doesn't remember that), and you could place that before games where he already knows Yoshi. To create the timeline, you would focus on small details that would link the stories together. If two stories are ambiguous, then you go by release date. And if you're a real stickler, go to Miyamoto himself and ask him to create a timeline or something.

twinArmageddons said:
You aren't even listening to anything I've said. There is a loose timeline. This is the definition of loose. Also, the Paper series can take place in their own universe that is a two-dimensional version of the normal universe.

Super Mario World also takes place in the timeline because it is the first time Mario meets Yoshi (not counting when he was a baby because he doesn't remember that), and you could place that before games where he already knows Yoshi. To create the timeline, you would focus on small details that would link the stories together. If two stories are ambiguous, then you go by release date. And if you're a real stickler, go to Miyamoto himself and ask him to create a timeline or something.
No it's impossible to create a timeline Take Super Mario World all we know is that the events happened before Super Mario 64. So you would base it off release date alone which creates a plot hole since you would go by release date alone for Super Mario Land which was released one year prior. The problem is that Super Mario Land 2 takes place directly after Super Mario Land but where does that leave Super Mario World sine it makes zero connections to the Super Mario Bros. games (to my knowladge.) Dr. Mario has the same problem where do you put it on the time line you can't do it by release date since it was released one year after Super Mario Land which again already has a sequal happen right after it (I apologize in advance for all my spelling errors)

I can't say it enough. Loose. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE.

LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE.

LOOSE!

This means that the timeline will not be exact. Your nitpicks are irrelevant. It is a loose timeline that is more or less accurate, not 100%. I am not saying it is possible to create a 100% accurate timeline, only one that is
LOOSE!

twinArmageddons said:
I can't say it enough. Loose. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE.

LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE. LOOSE.

LOOSE!

This means that the timeline will not be exact. Your nitpicks are irrelevant. It is a loose timeline that is more or less accurate, not 100%. I am not saying it is possible to create a 100% accurate timeline, only one that is
LOOSE!
Alright and in the Loose Timeline what prevents games like Mario Is Missing or the Cartoons from being part of it

If you define "canon" as being "material accepted as "official"", then I'd argue everything including the movie/Hotel Mario/educational games are "canon" since they were officially licensed by Nintendo and they haven't been really disowned except for maybe the occasional thrown-away diss in Nintendo Power.

Of course, it's clear that the games and the cartoon/comics/movie ect. are set in different continuities.

Glowsquid said:
If you define "canon" as being "material accepted as "official"", then I'd argue everything including the movie/Hotel Mario/educational games are "canon" since they were officially licensed by Nintendo and they haven't been really disowned except for maybe the occasional thrown-away diss in Nintendo Power.

Of course, it's clear that the games and the cartoon/comics/movie ect. are set in different continuities.
I'll give you that the movie isn't canon but i do think the Comics are canon nothing really says they aren't. And the Cartoons could be canon as it's possible that the Super Mario Bros. Super Show takes place between Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. Lost Levels. And the Live action sections are canon as well and have been confirmed in certain games

Raphael said:
I say everything is canon, and the events all happen in their own universes, kind of like a Super Mario Bros. multi-verse.

Central Universe/Universe 1: The side scrollers and platformers (also includes Luigi's Mansion, Super Princess Peach, Wario's Woods and the Yoshi, DK, and Wario games, IMO).
Universe 9: Super Mario RPG

Raphael said:
Raphael said:

Central Universe/Universe 1: The side scrollers and platformers (also includes Luigi's Mansion, Super Princess Peach, Wario's Woods and the Yoshi, DK, and Wario games, IMO).
Wait Geno appears in Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga doesn't he so that would put Super Mario RPG in the same universe as the Mario and Luigi series

Tatanga said:
Raphael said:
Raphael said:

Wait Geno appears in Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga doesn't he so that would put Super Mario RPG in the same universe as the Mario and Luigi series

Well, all Geno does is tell you how to play that arcade game. He and Mario don't even talk to each other. It seems like that was just a reference to Geno rather than an actual appearance.

Raphael said:
Tatanga said:
Raphael said:
Raphael said:

Well, all Geno does is tell you how to play that arcade game. He and Mario don't even talk to each other. It seems like that was just a reference to Geno rather than an actual appearance.
But he does appear and it was a real appearance since they had to credit Square putting Geno in the Mario and Luigi series time line

Back