What is your favourite 2D platformer in the Mario series?

What is your favourite 2D platformer in the Mario series?

• Super Mario Bros

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels

• Super Mario Bros 2 (Doki Doki Panic remake)

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Super Mario Bros. 3

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Super Mario World

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • New Super Mario Bros

• New Super Mario Bros Wii

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Wrecking Crew/Wrecking Crew '98

• Hotel Mario

• New Super Mario Bros. Mii

• Sub-Series Game/Other

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters
Toad85 said:
Freaky Fred said:
Super Mario 3 sucks a *bleep*ing *bleep*.

This game is *bleep*, plain and simple.

Oh, let's all get the warp whistle and warp to "big world"! Too bad big world isn't *bleep*ing fun, like the rest of this game. The entire thing is designed to anger and frustrate you. Oh, you get Kuribo's shoe on one *bleep*ing level! Wow, pardon me while I make the universal motion for a handjob. Kuribo's shoe *bleep*ing sucked. What did it do, exactly? It let you JUMP ON THINGS, something you were able to do the entire *bleep*ing game. Oh, also you looked gay.

There are some interesting power-ups in the game, such as Tanookie Mario, Hammer Mario, and Frog Mario. But guess what? You can get them on like 2 levels total, and if you *bleep* up and get hit ONCE, you lose them, FOREVER. Wow, that's fun! I love games that demand I play perfectly or have no fun, because I'm a *bleep*ing jap who strives for absolute perfection in gaming otherwise I kill myself.

Mario 3 may have been interesting or fun at one time, but the game is a worthless piece of *bleep* in today's day and age. It's horribly flawed and full of *bleep* moments, much more so than it has moments that are just fun to play.

This, except the "gay" reference. I don't like it when people make fun of homosexuals.

You honestly think it's as bad as that?

I don't think Toad85 realizes that he was joking

Toad85 said:
Freaky Fred said:
Super Mario 3 sucks a *bleep*ing *bleep*.

This game is *bleep*, plain and simple.

Oh, let's all get the warp whistle and warp to "big world"! Too bad big world isn't *bleep*ing fun, like the rest of this game. The entire thing is designed to anger and frustrate you. Oh, you get Kuribo's shoe on one *bleep*ing level! Wow, pardon me while I make the universal motion for a handjob. Kuribo's shoe *bleep*ing sucked. What did it do, exactly? It let you JUMP ON THINGS, something you were able to do the entire *bleep*ing game. Oh, also you looked gay.

There are some interesting power-ups in the game, such as Tanookie Mario, Hammer Mario, and Frog Mario. But guess what? You can get them on like 2 levels total, and if you *bleep* up and get hit ONCE, you lose them, FOREVER. Wow, that's fun! I love games that demand I play perfectly or have no fun, because I'm a *bleep*ing jap who strives for absolute perfection in gaming otherwise I kill myself.

Mario 3 may have been interesting or fun at one time, but the game is a worthless piece of *bleep* in today's day and age. It's horribly flawed and full of *bleep* moments, much more so than it has moments that are just fun to play.

This, except the "gay" reference. I don't like it when people make fun of homosexuals.
facepalm.jpg

Super Mario Bros. 3 IS a tad overrated, but that review was a slight irrational.

Baby Luigi said:
Super Mario Bros. 3 IS a tad overrated, but that review was a slight irrational.

A slight irrational?

I'm with BLOF here. Super Mario Bros 3 was a good game but it was hard and if you run out of lives you have to go back 3/4 levels which I find so annoying. I can't get past World 5.

New Super Yoshi said:
I'm with BLOF here. Super Mario Bros 3 was a good game but it was hard and if you run out of lives you have to go back 3/4 levels which I find so annoying. I can't get past World 5.
You're doing better than I am.

That means you're getting better at it, and that's the point of it being hard. There are also a ton of easy ways to get extra lives--at the end of the level, run at top speed and then jump into the bottom-right corner of the roulette box, and you'll usually get a star. 3 in a row and you get 5 extra lives (and you get at least 1 every 3 levels no matter what).

For comparison, I tend to die for the first time in World 2 in SMB3, World 3 in SMW...and World 5 or 6 in NSMBW, barring dumb mistakes in all 3 games. And again, it has the same number of levels, no truly original world themes (I can think of some quite easily, and they didn't even change them from the DS game), slower-paced bosses that are practically begging to be hit (and several are easier versions of prior fights in SMB3 and SMW), and a pathetic final castle (with an admittedly epic final boss) that's easier and shorter than than most of the earlier ones. Why not a woodland with giant trees that you climb from the inside (from SPM), or maybe take from the DK levels and bring in a beehive or a factory? Each would work perfectly in a Mario game. And for enemies, how about the crabs and flies from Mario Bros, or, you know, Shy Guys?

However, at its core NSMBW is still a relatively good game, but it really doesn't deserve to cost 10 times more than a similarly-sized NES game. The level design is strong as it always is with Nintendo, they brought back a ton of old stuff for fans, the controls are strong as always (though grabbing things is a little tougher), and multiplayer is fun, even if 90% of the time you're basically making it harder for yourself and for the other player(s). I prefer single player, but multiplayer is fun for parties and such. Also, extra points for 8-7 alone.

Could it have been so much more? Of course. It didn't really take risks like SMG, SMB3, or the PM games did. But overall, for all my complaints I still liked it.

I find multiplayer easier with New Super Mario Bros. Wii though. I could imagine only what it would be like if it were single player

Baby Luigi said:
I find multiplayer easier with New Super Mario Bros. Wii though. I could imagine only what it would be like if it were single player
I die a lot more in multiplayer but that's one of the things that make multiplayer so fun in NSMBW.

My sister and I are extremely cooperative. We help each other a lot.

Eh, might be that most of the people I get the chance to play with kinda suck, and I instinctively hog the powerups because I'm too used to playing single player.

Any reception on the rest of my analysis?

I loved NSMBW but Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga is my favorite. I love M&L games because of their unique platform style along with the story.

Mario and Luigi:Superstar Saga is not a 2D Platformer unfortunately.

The original platformer is difficult, but great.

I haven't played much of the real sequel (Lost Levels). The American SMB2 is too puzzling for me, though.

SMW is good fun with a noticeable difficulty. I have yet to pass the second level of the Special Zone.

NSMB is by far the easiest, and not as fun as the other games.

NSMBW, as it was easy, was pretty fun.

I would just like to say, what did the people who selected "Other" root for? I'm confused, because I think I covered everything.

Doofenshmirtz Evil said:
I would just like to say, what did the people who selected "Other" root for? I'm confused, because I think I covered everything.

WaLuIgIpInBaLl said:
I loved NSMBW but Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga is my favorite. I love M&L games because of their unique platform style along with the story.

This, I believe. Also, if you covered every 2D platformer, why did you include the other option anyways?

I said "think". Superstar Saga isn't a 2D platformer, and I inculded Other in case there was a CDi or MOS game or something I was missing.

Superfiremario said:
New Super Mario Bros. is too easy! I beat it in a day without cannons!
It was hard for me at first but now it's really easy.

Doofenshmirtz Evil said:
I said "think". Superstar Saga isn't a 2D platformer, and I inculded Other in case there was a CDi or MOS game or something I was missing.

That depends on what you consider a 2D platformer. Since you didn't describe it in your original post, it's up to the voter to determine what that means.

Snowstalker said:
That means you're getting better at it, and that's the point of it being hard. There are also a ton of easy ways to get extra lives--at the end of the level, run at top speed and then jump into the bottom-right corner of the roulette box, and you'll usually get a star. 3 in a row and you get 5 extra lives (and you get at least 1 every 3 levels no matter what).

For comparison, I tend to die for the first time in World 2 in SMB3, World 3 in SMW...and World 5 or 6 in NSMBW, barring dumb mistakes in all 3 games. And again, it has the same number of levels, no truly original world themes (I can think of some quite easily, and they didn't even change them from the DS game), slower-paced bosses that are practically begging to be hit (and several are easier versions of prior fights in SMB3 and SMW), and a pathetic final castle (with an admittedly epic final boss) that's easier and shorter than than most of the earlier ones. Why not a woodland with giant trees that you climb from the inside (from SPM), or maybe take from the DK levels and bring in a beehive or a factory? Each would work perfectly in a Mario game. And for enemies, how about the crabs and flies from Mario Bros, or, you know, Shy Guys?

However, at its core NSMBW is still a relatively good game, but it really doesn't deserve to cost 10 times more than a similarly-sized NES game. The level design is strong as it always is with Nintendo, they brought back a ton of old stuff for fans, the controls are strong as always (though grabbing things is a little tougher), and multiplayer is fun, even if 90% of the time you're basically making it harder for yourself and for the other player(s). I prefer single player, but multiplayer is fun for parties and such. Also, extra points for 8-7 alone.

Could it have been so much more? Of course. It didn't really take risks like SMG, SMB3, or the PM games did. But overall, for all my complaints I still liked it.

Still stands, but I've warmed up.

Leonyx said:
Doofenshmirtz Evil said:

That depends on what you consider a 2D platformer. Since you didn't describe it in your original post, it's up to the voter to determine what that means.
Superstar Saga is nothing to do with a 2D Platformer, the adventure is even 3D.

Back