Unlucky With Items

Pandapowah

King Bowser
Is anyone else here horribly unlucky with items in Mario Kart. I never seem to get useful items in Mario Kart. I was up against a very skilled player in Mario Kart DS and I finally passed him. But then he got a Blue Shell. And while I was in second place all I got was green shells and sometimes even a Banana.

EDIT: Or did anyone have any very unlucky moment?

This is actually an interesting lesson in psychology...

Because the bad things that happen to you are worse than the good things, the bad luck always stands out in your mind while you forget the bad things rather easily. The same principle applies as to why people think that there are more accidents on nights with the full moon: they notice the full moon, and they notice the accident. They didn't notice the other phases of the moon when there was another accident, so it seems less important.

Dr. Javelin said:
This is actually an interesting lesson in psychology...

Because the bad things that happen to you are worse than the good things, the bad luck always stands out in your mind while you forget the bad things rather easily. The same principle applies as to why people think that there are more accidents on nights with the full moon: they notice the full moon, and they notice the accident. They didn't notice the other phases of the moon when there was another accident, so it seems less important.
This is very true but I only remember very few lucky times I had on Mario Kart. One of my luckiest moments was when a computer kept using a Thunderbolt when I was in a cannon like 2 times ;D

This is called the "Mario Kart Syndrome," otherwise known as the "CPU advantage." It's more frequent in Mario Kart Wii, but it can happen in any game. (I'm totally making this up)

That's really strange to get a Blue Shell in second place. Though, Green Shells are very useful.

Actually, it happens in real life. People naturally remember the mean things people have done more than the nice things, right?

Psychology is fascinating.

Leonyx said:
This is called the "Mario Kart Syndrome," otherwise known as the "CPU advantage." It's more frequent in Mario Kart Wii, but it can happen in any game. (I'm totally making this up)

That's really strange to get a Blue Shell in second place. Though, Green Shells are very useful.
Not where I was. He was way ahead of me.

Probably because good things don't tend to tramatize people. I'm not an expert in psychology or anything, but bad things tend to shake up what you though you could do, and keeps you in check. When good things happen to you, it tends to be an "easy way out" (for lack of a better term), so you take them for granted.

Pandapow said:
Leonyx said:

Not where I was. He was way ahead of me.

Yeah, you can't do much too with them then. You could use them to hold second place more tightly though.

LOL The other 2 players disconnected. There is always someone there who will disconnect after 1 race.

Well, that just sounds like bad luck all around.

I always have bad luck.
However, my luck is higher in MKDS or MK64, than in MKW or MKDD.

I'm always pretty lucky in Mario Kart Wii, actually. The worst thing that happened to me was hitting myself with a shell that bounced around like crazy. That was awesome. But I do get spiny shelled before the finish line incidents.

Once on the last lap on rainbow road i got hit with two blue shells, lightning, and a pow block needless to say i was pissed, but even with all of that i still one the race ;D

Items make the game entertaining at the cost of making your life miserable. If I had to choose between items and no items, I'd definitely choose items. The boring and anti-climatic feeling of racing without items isn't enough to outweigh the excitement and the misery of items.

Baby Luigi said:
Items make the game entertaining at the cost of making your life miserable. If I had to choose between items and no items, I'd definitely choose items. The boring and anti-climatic feeling of racing without items isn't enough to outweigh the excitement and the misery of items.
Yeah Items are what make the Mario Kart games fun although they could take out the lightning cloud and nobody would complain

I would turn the Spiny SHell back into its former ground self before even thinking about the Thunder Cloud

Even in last place, I hardly ever get Bullet Bills. I rarely get them, while everyone else gets a lot of them.

I hate Blue Shells. I got hit by at least three or four of them in the same lap. On Wi-Fi, while in second place, I once ran into a shell right in front of the finish line (which was thrown backwards by the person in first I believe). Because I hit into that, I ended up getting 8th place, and I lost a lot of points.

When I play Super Circuit, Luigi is always right behind me in second place. 50% of that time, he's using a star. Why is it that Luigi uses so many stars? The other characters never use them so much. It annoys me how you can get stars in second place in that game.

Fawfulfury65 said:
Even in last place, I hardly ever get Bullet Bills. I rarely get them, while everyone else gets a lot of them.
Bullet Bills are something I quite commonly get. It's pretty ironic, because I DON'T want Bullet Bills (I want stars to torture Wario in 12th place). Golden Shrooms are even worse than Bullet Bills.

Fawfulfury65 said:
I hate Blue Shells. I got hit by at least three or four of them in the same lap. On Wi-Fi, while in second place, I once ran into a shell right in front of the finish line (which was thrown backwards by the person in first I believe). Because I hit into that, I ended up getting 8th place, and I lost a lot of points.
Flying Spiny SHells suck. All they do is punish the guy in first. The ground Spiny Shells are much better. At least they get people in front of them, and when you keep them behind, they act as a perfect shield for tailgaters

Fawfulfury65 said:
When I play Super Circuit, Luigi is always right behind me in second place. 50% of that time, he's using a star. Why is it that Luigi uses so many stars? The other characters never use them so much. It annoys me how you can get stars in second place in that game.

Me too. The guy trailing behind you ALWAYS uses stars. But, luckily, when you poop out a Red Shell behind you, they never seem to use the Star to defend themselves. That's a good thing. And another good thing is that it's very common for a Boo to steal Stars in that game.

Fawfulfury65 said:

Whenever I get a Bullet Bill, I have the habit of using it immediately. However, some people just hold onto it, since only one Bullet Bill user can exist at a time. I just don't like losing it to Lightning or POW Blocks.

I'm always anxious about someone else having Lightning. Luckily, it's almost impossible to obtain a Lightning Bolt anywhere else but 12th place. I usually hold on to a Bullet Bill until I find my target.

Baby Luigi said:
I'm always pretty lucky in Mario Kart Wii, actually. The worst thing that happened to me was hitting myself with a shell that bounced around like crazy. That was awesome. But I do get spiny shelled before the finish line incidents.

That happens all the time.

I got hit with like 4 spinies one time on DS and still managed to win. I sometimes place bananas in groups to make them more hazardous. Also I get hit with my own green shells a lot. I manage to win most of the time. ;D

I, for some reason, always get Bananas and Green Shells. Always Bananas and Green Shells. It's very rare that I get a Red Shell, and even rarer a Mushroom. I, however, am quite adept at racing games and can do without them.

Toad85 said:
I, for some reason, always get Bananas and Green Shells. Always Bananas and Green Shells. It's very rare that I get a Red Shell, and even rarer a Mushroom. I, however, am quite adept at racing games and can do without them.
I hate when all you need is a Red shell but all you get or Green shells and Bananas

Back