Which games are part of the "main series"?

^

• Donkey Kong (1981)

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Mario Bros.

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Super Mario Bros 1-3 (including both SMB2 games)

Votes: 20 83.3%
  • Super Mario World

Votes: 20 83.3%
  • 3D platformers (64, Sunshine, Galaxy 1&2)

Votes: 23 95.8%
  • Super Mario Land 1-2

Votes: 15 62.5%
  • SMW2: Yoshi's Island

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • RPG games (-SPM)

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Super Paper Mario

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Other games not mentioned

Votes: 10 41.7%

• Total voters
I choose all the 3D platformers, all the games in the SMB series, the super mario land series. I might have forgot some

I'd say main series would be starting with Mario Bros., SMB, SMW, SML, the 3D games, and Yoshi's Island.

The RPGs are canon, just in a different universe.

Ganondorf said:
That's not necessarily true, as I wouldn't consider Super Mario Land is a main series platformer.

The way I see it, any title that starts with exactly Super Mario (excluding Mario Kart, sports, and RPGs) is mainstream. This does include New Super Mario Bros. and New Super Mario Bros. Wii as well.

I consider anything that's a platformer part of the main series, although I consider the RPGs and certain spinoffs canon.

I don't think there is a "main" series, but to get your definition, I chose games with Donkey Kong, Mario Bros., and the rest that have Super Mario in them.

Donkey Kong
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Sunshine
New Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Galaxy
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario 3D Land

Toad85 said:
I consider anything that's a platformer part of the main series, although I consider the RPGs and certain spinoffs canon.

What this guy said.

All of the games that have nothing to do with Sports, Kart racing, Partying, Pinballing, sending out Mini Mario's, battling turn based, taking part in Smash Bros., and stuff like that, and as long as it's all about saving some kind of Princess, then it's the part of the "main series".

YamiHoshi.nl said:
All of the games that have nothing to do with Sports, Kart racing, Partying, Pinballing, sending out Mini Mario's, battling turn based, taking part in Smash Bros., and stuff like that, and as long as it's all about saving some kind of Princess, then it's the part of the "main series".
Well Super Paper Mario is kind of different to that so what is it classed as?

More like a mix of a platform game and a real time RPG.

You have turn-based RPG, and real time RPG.
While turn-based RPG's have a more strategical battle system (like in Pokémon, Paper Mario, or Mario & Luigi, for example), real time RPG's have a more action-like battle system (like in The Last Story).
Real time RPG's most likely don't go into a battle screen, battles are usually within the actual world, and everyone attacks anytime they can/like/want, while all the other RPG elements (level up, HP, EXP. Points, status upgrades, etc.) are still used.

I personally believe that their is no main series all of the games are equal from Hotel Mario to Super Mario Bros.

SMB 1, 2 (either one), 3, SMW, SM64, SMS, NSMB, SMG, NSMBW, SMG2 and SM3DL.

Considering whether SMB2 or SMBTLL is the next game after SMB1 is a tough decision. I think that for Japan, it's SMBTLL and SMBUSA is a spin-off. Everywhere else SMB2 is in the main series and SMBTLL is a very hard remake of SMB1.

Tatanga said:
I personally believe that their is no main series all of the games are equal from Hotel Mario to Super Mario Bros.
I don't agree, but I would agree if you were talking about Sonic.

Back