Do you feel like there is an overdose of Mario spin-offs recently?

Baby Luigi said:
Besides, I'm a multiplayer person. I enjoy the spin-offs 10x more than the platformers (I refuse to call them "mainstream"). Not that I hate the platformers, but I just like the spin-offs more.

Me too, my little brother always bugs me to play 2-Players when I'm playing 1 player.

And NSMB took me 1 day to beat (without cannons.).

Well in zelda they have had Links crossbow training which is a bit like archery in a way so its a kind of sport

And Baby Luigi I Also care about mario party 9 Aswell

and i love MSM Awsome game i might play it now

Baby Luigi said:
I bet he meant by how you beat the story, not if you're trying to 100% it

That is what I meant. If I did mean 100%, every game under the sun would be non-linear. And I did not say that sm64 was linear, I said it isn't as long as you say.

100%ing Super Mario Galaxy 2 required little exploration, save for trying to listen for Green Star noises and trying to locate their rays of light or the stars themselves.

Toad85 said:
Baby Luigi said:
I bet he meant by how you beat the story, not if you're trying to 100% it

That is what I meant. If I did mean 100%, every game under the sun would be non-linear. And I did not say that sm64 was linear, I said it isn't as long as you say.

Truthfully, each of the 3D Mario games are not too long when you only play them to beat the story. But when you can complete Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 in a very linear fashion throughout its ENTIRE completion (and short for that matter), while the previous games were much longer and free to 100%, you have a problem.

Well, having linear levels is hard when you are trying to build a level out of planetary bodies. And, if NSMB and NSMBW were non-linear, then neither is SMB, SMB2, SMBTTL, DKC, or SMB3.

What are yall talking about? Beating a 3D Mario game 100% takes way more time than a 2D game. I completed the Galaxies in one and a half month each, because I wanted to enjoy them. I only got 3-6 stars per day.

Toad85 said:
Well, having linear levels is hard when you are trying to build a level out of planetary bodies. And, if NSMB and NSMBW were non-linear, then neither is SMB, SMB2, SMBTTL, DKC, or SMB3.

Nintendo does not know the vast size of a galaxy. Besides, there could be a level just like the previous games. I can imagine levels on a completely alien world, very vast and very large, plus the ability to use Launch Stars to get from place to place and back. Planetary bodies aren't puny anyway, they're supposed to be huge.

Toad85 said:

Who said that New Super Mario Bros. or its sequel were non-linear?

It's actually quite simple to have linear levels in Super Mario Galaxy. What they do is make you to travel from planet to planet, exploring one until you find a way to get to another. You can't really do anything else in these levels but move forward, as there isn't really anything else to look for. You just jump from planet to planet until you get the star. Many of the galaxies from Super Mario Galaxy were like that, and almost all of the galaxies in the second used that pattern. Basically the game consisted of a bunch of Super Mario 64's Bowser levels, except there wasn't always an end boss.

Back