So, I'm looking to repair my relationship with Mario.

Ghost Jam

A call to action? A call to arms!
Retired Wiki Staff
So, way back when, when I was a young lad of 17, I decided it was time I tried to contribute to the gaming community that I had so long leeched upon like a apt way to end this analogy while also using Mario related jargon. I was a new user over on GameFAQs, spending most of my time working on level builds in Ragnarok Online and making a virtual profit in Neopets.

And then I learned about the FAQers. The generous contributors who expressed their love of the games and gamers buy writing guides, so guys like me could get above average aid without having to pay for an expensive ass game guide. I decided that I might be able to contribute myself.

Various file submissions later, I was inspired by a user by the name of RayVGM got me on to the concept of series ending guides. That is, a file that lists all the games in a given series and lists their endings. They serve as a way for fans and new comers to a series to gain insight for sections of the story that exists in otherwise hard or inaccessible games (bare in mind this was before it was common for there to be a wiki for everything). Some may argue, including myself, that such a thing probably wouldn't been needed for the Mario series, but, shut up.

So, this happened (btw, I remember mentioning this a long while back and listing it in the guide, but everything in that file is free and welcome for use by MarioWiki members for use on MarioWiki). The first version of this guide is lost forever in the endless sea of data that is the internet, but that's actually a good thing. That thing was a mess (more of a mess than the currently posted version). Over various versions, I kept changing my mind about how I was going to organize the data for presentation and what I wanted to include. After a lot of thought, I've decided that the cameos section and all of the non-Mario titles (Wario games and such) are being removed. Maybe the data can be saved so a Wario Series Ending Guide can be made? Maybe, but that bride is best burnt at a later time.

So why am I putting this here? Simply....I'm asking for help. When I first starting this, there wasn't a wiki for everything and YouTube was still a few years away, so there really weren't many avenues for me to gain information from. I relied on what games I could get my hands on and the random kindness of random people and other FAQers who allowed me to cannibalize sections of their guides. The main priority at the moment is to get all the games released between the last official update (in 2008) and now added, then removing all cameos, hacks, Wario/DK/Yoshi/Smash games, then fill in the missing gaps. That will make up the next major update, with the update following being a reformatting of the entire guide I've been working on off and on for the last few years (it's a long story.....or not, maybe just not an interesting one).

So. Thoughts?

EDIT: Also, I put this topic here as it seemed Marioverse related at first thought.

Um, broken link? Could you fix the double http, please?

Oh, bugger. Looks like I don't require quotes for links in BBC here, didn't know that. Fix'd.

So. Thoughts?

-tbh, I don't see the point of listing the ending-less Game & Watch games and unfinished Vaporware like Super Mario's Wacky Worlds. Unless you're also aiming for that to be a series overview guide, in which case that's fine.

-For some reason, Hotel Mario is written as "Mario Hotel". also, here's a link to the ending since there's currently no description.

-Since you already have listed some of the esoteric Japan obscurities, I'll point out you missed Return of Mario Bros and Super Mario Bros. Special. There's also quite a few Satellaview games that could be included.

Glowsquid said:
-tbh, I don't see the point of listing the ending-less Game & Watch games and unfinished Vaporware like Super Mario's Wacky Worlds. Unless you're also aiming for that to be a series overview guide, in which case that's fine.

I agree, actually, a majority of that will be removed or maybe mentioned in some place (I've found that I needed to list games I'm not including to a certain extent just to cut down on the 'helpful' e-mails I get...this is particularly troublesome as there are sites out there that are publicly posting ancient versions). Initially, this was meant to be an entire series overview, which I quickly switched to only covering games that were listed in the GFAQs database (as it's one of the more comprehensive ones out there), to listing only one over arching ending for a game with notes about other ports available (which, I calculated at the time, should reduce the size of the file by at least half).

-For some reason, Hotel Mario is written as "Mario Hotel". also, here's a link to the ending since there's currently no description.

Hmm, not sure why I did that. Might have been moving something around made an error along the way. Thanks for the ending, I'll jot that down.

-Since you already have listed some of the esoteric Japan obscurities, I'll point out you missed Return of Mario Bros and Super Mario Bros. Special. There's also quite a few Satellaview games that could be included.

Oh, goody, another game I wasn't aware of~
The Staellaview games are on my to-do list. In particular, my initial version of the guide had the Satellaview iterations of Super Mario Kart, but, at the time I started, there really wasn't much to go on other than a few images, a few titles and a paragraph or so. There weren't even ROMs available at the time, although that might have changed.

Back