What VG music can you play on an instrument?

Koopayoshi

Shine Sprite
I can play:
SMB theme
LoZ theme
Kirby theme

Nothing really. I tried to play the theme that plays when you first start playing PMD2 on my trombone.

I can play the SMB Overworld and a part of the SMB2 overworld on a piano. I can only do it single-fingered, though :(

I can do Porky's Theme, Unfounded Revenge, some other Mother/Earthbound songs, and some of the easier Zelda stuff.

Self teaching myself on how to play the SMB theme and underwater theme on a piano. Even though I'm way more experienced on a trumpet.

I memorized the Super Mario Bros. theme on the piano. Strange, considering I have never taken piano classes, but I did play the clarinet and the saxophone. Too bad I don't know how to play the chords.

Ornithologist Mario said:
I memorized the Super Mario Bros. theme on the piano. Strange, considering I have never taken piano classes, but I did play the clarinet and the saxophone. Too bad I don't know how to play the chords.
Same here. I've never taken lessons and don't know the chords. Oh, and I also play the sax. :D

I can play quite a few, actually. Too many to name. I can play pretty much any video game music on drums (since I can just go improv), but on keyboard, I can play Delfino Plaza, Luigis Mansion, SMB theme, Zelda theme, Ricco Harbor, Big Blue, and Dr. Mario: Fever just to name a few. I can play lots of VGM on keyboard.

Song of Storms, Song of Time, and Zelda's Lullaby on a 12-hole Ocarina.
Super Mario Bros. Overworld Theme on a 6-hole Ocarina.

They all require Tabs, of course.

Ornithologist Mario said:
Same

Too many to list in detail (on the keyboard)...

A lot of Rockman stuff (including the Wily Castle one mentioned before), a couple songs from Mario & its various spin-off series (notably the whole soundtrack of Super Mario Bros. & the western Super Mario Bros. 2, and also notably a lot of Super Mario RPG stuff, Gusty Garden Galaxy and Stickerbush Symphony), lots of Kirby music (Kirby's Dream Land & Kirby's Dream Land 3 in particular), the Tetris themes, Gruntilda's Lair from Banjo Kazooie, some bits of World of Warcraft music (if you count that as a video game; or even a game), some Sonic, Final Fantasy, Genjin and Kwirk stuff, pretty much the entire Lemmings soundtrack, and... probably a lot of other stuff that I can't think of at the moment. Zelda theme comes to mind as well.

Playing all of these by ear though, never seen the notes and looking at those while playing tends to slow me down more than help me play stuff anyway.

I can now play Zelda's Lullaby on my Ocarina, without using any Tabs (out of my own head).

I could play a lot of stuff on piano, learned most of it by ear so it's not exactly the most precise.

But I could play a lot of Ocarina songs, that I remember.

The stuff I play by ear I usually play on clarinet or mallet percussion because playing on piano without some kind of harmonization bothers me. The stuff I learned by ear are: SS Anne theme, original SMB theme, Lavender Town, Lance/Red battle, and the basis for most of the Isle Delfino themes (which I play on marimba for a tropical sound).

I printed out piano sheet music for other songs that I couldn't figure out, such as: SMB Underwater theme, World 3 Map from SMG2, Viridian Forest, SMW Air Platform (which I LOVE), the original SMG theme, and Floaroma Town.

Yeah, I'm a complete nerd when it comes to video game music.

PS In marching band this year, our show is "Fantasy," and we're playing pieces from Final Fantasy VII. I'm not sure I should include it since I only play the xylo part.

Back