Votes: 31 20.9%
  • Rarity

Votes: 17 11.5%
  • Fluttershy

Votes: 35 23.6%

• Total voters
That's a true brony, right there

Full Sentence Names Would Be A Horrible Fad said:
I am always amazed at how Smashgoom seems to be able to constantly churn out walls of text about every episode.
There's just so much I want to talk about! ;D

I'd probably do the same thing on Adventure Time or Gravity Falls, if more people posted on those topics.

Put That Thing Back Where it Came From or So Help Me said:
Alright, number of problems with this episode.

First, "Saddle Arabia"? Really, you're going with "Saddle Arabia"? What's next, "Stalliongrad"? "Hoovesbekistan"?

Second, there's a huge loophole of "banished from Ponyville FOREVUR". Despite holding the Alicorn Amulet, Trixie has no political authority over the town, and couldn't just order someone out at her whim. And even if she was able to, couldn't Celestia or the Mayor just redistrict Twilight's house out of "Ponyville"?

Third of all, Trixie forgot to put holes in the giant glass thingy. If this show was longer than 22 minutes, she'd condemn not only Ponyville, but herself to death by suffocation. She may have a glowy amulet thing now, but I can tell she's still not the brightest candle on the menorah.

Fourth, Twilight's reasoning that she "can't get in touch with Princess Celestia because Spike's inside the dome" is moot, since it's not like she's blocked off from Canterlot's post office.

Fifth, the Empire Strikes Back reference at about 10:30 was not funny, clever, or wanted.

Sixth, why exactly can't the rest of the Mane 6 just leave? It's not explained very well, and Trixie never gives any justification as to why not.

Seventh, the idea behind an "Alicorn Amulet" MacGuffin is trite and overdone, and its execution is botched. I couldn't really get an exact pinpoint, but I knew throughout the whole episode that I was watching someone else's idea that the writers decided to "borrow".

Eighth, if they were going to do a Rainbow Dash clone, they should have used it two episodes ago. Boring. And Applejack's "mare into a stallion" can easily be done in real life. Again, boring.

Ninth, the Magical Duels, both of them, were crap. I don't think I really need to elaborate on this one.

Tenth, oh my god, the dialogue was bad. I mean, bad. I know Larson has had trouble with chatty scenes in previous episodes. "It's About Time", even though I love love love it, is a good example of how bad he can be at directing speech). But... WOW did this episode take the cake. Nowhere, and I mean NOWHERE, did I hear Twilight, Trixie, Fluttershy, or any other character. I heard actors banging out lines in a dark room in LA waiting for their shift to be over. No immersion at all, Larson.

Eleventh, I'm going to repeat the main problem I had with last episode: why the hell isn't Trixie reprimanded. At least Babs didn't do any physical or psychological damage to anyone but Applebloom and co., never did anything against the law, and fully apologized. So at least I can understand why the CMC would forgive her.

But Trixie's done more and worse than any villain on the show before her (except possibly Nightmare Moon). Her resume now includes enslaving half of a major metropolitan area, usurping local democratically-elected government, destruction of property, unlawful abuse of magic, arson, theft, terrorism, would-be manslaughter, dueling without a license, and jaywalking in the middle of a four-way intersection. In my opinion, that's Osama Bin-Laden worthy behavior. And Twilight does nothing!

So far, I can come up with excuses for Season 3's ineptitude. I don't really like Pinkie in the first place, so "Too Many Pinkie Pies" would never impress me. I can see how they could mess up a PSA episode like "One Bad Apple". I can even understand how a season premier like "Crystal Empire" could be disappointing, especially after months of waiting and hype. But this is a Twilight episode, A FUCKING TWILIGHT EPISODE, and I feel it's up with "Stare Masters" and "MMMystery on the Friendship Express". This season's totally fucked.
1. that annoyed me as well
2. that's just nitpicking a common plot in t.v shows
3. using science in a show about talking ponies (which granted I do all of the time) lol
4. I had the same thought
5. I don't remember the reference
6. Well she took over the town so why would she let them leave and get help or you could argue that keeping the town open would allow Twilight back in
7. my god a cliche in a cartoon call the navy
8. I have nothing either for or against this
9. I half agree with you because I found the 2nd duel to be beyond stupid.
10. I remember making fun of the dialogue so you're probably correct
11. A villain not getting in a cartoon call the navy

I really wish someone would come up with some legitimate complaints rather than "wah wah wah"

Heck I LIKE the show and I could come up with better complaints than these.

Geez, Toad. Are you deliberately trying to find things wrong with the show? It's for little kids, and I doubt that 6 years old kids do this. Did you do that when you were little? "Yeah, this is the worst show ever because in one of the episodes, one of the buildings in the background was crooked by 10 degrees. It enraged me so much, I slaughtered a man. Thanks to this show, I've been arrested for manslaughter, so I will slowly and painfully kill anyone who liked it, works on it, or has heard of it". Granted that's a bit of a stretch, my point is still valid.

By the way, did the writers kill off Derpy? I haven't seen her in a while. She may go down the same path as Poochy, Kirby's animal friends, and Chuck Cunningham.

Dick Clark said:
By the way, did the writers kill off Derpy? I haven't seen her in a while. She may go down the same path as Poochy, Kirby's animal friends, and Chuck Cunningham.
I believe that the writers are actually sort of afraid of using Derpy now because they're afraid of screwing something up and upsetting either the moral guardians or the fans.

Mason Voorhees said:
I really wish someone would come up with some legitimate complaints rather than "wah wah wah"

that's completely subjective towards the person hearing the complaints you might not think the little things are important but others do

All I know is, The Hub and/or Hasbro loves Derpy and they know we love Derpy, Tara Strong has gone on record several times saying that. They're just downplaying her a bit here because of idiots, and Hasbro doesn't want to deal with that shit.

Time Turner said:
Mason Voorhees said:
So... go on then. Let's hear your complaints.
  • Trixie's Amulet was too overpowered for a sudden item that has never been mentioned before. Of course it was created just for this episode, but it would have been nice to have some suspended disbelief. It's hard to make myself think "oh yeah that's been there all along." That of course is a problem for any type of show like this, I suppose (except planned out shows like Avatar TLA.)
  • The implications of an aging spell are quite horrifying for a Y-Rated cartoon.
  • Why didn't they just dig underneath the dome? I assume it was blocked off underground somehow too, but it would've been nice if a character chimed in that idea and it was shown why they couldn't dig underneath.
  • They were REALLY rude to Fluttershy when she was trying to speak. I actually felt bad for her and it didn't seem very resolved. I know it's kind of a running joke but that EXACT THING happens to me IRL with me trying to speak and people being louder with the same ideas, and I just bottle it up. Poor Fluttershy.
  • On a completely different note, Fluttershy seemed slightly out of character when she was on her way to Zecora's, but maybe that's just me.

None of these nitpicks made me like the episode any less, and again, I really hate to seem like I'm defending this show all the time.

Octoberry said:
that's completely subjective towards the person hearing the complaints you might not think the little things are important but others do
Yeah, and I subjectively see them as "wah wah wah." I didn't mean to imply there's some ground rule of what's "wah wah wah" and what isn't. But I subjectively feel the complaints just either seem (subjectively) to me to be very nonconstructive or very lame attempts at being constructive. Subjectively.

Speaking of subjectivity, I'm going to post my subjective disagreements to Toad85's subjective nitpicks. Did I mention this was subjective? (Yeah I'm not about to add "by the way this is all subjective" to the end of all my posts.)

Alright, number of problems with this episode.

First, "Saddle Arabia"? Really, you're going with "Saddle Arabia"? What's next, "Stalliongrad"? "Hoovesbekistan"?

Second, there's a huge loophole of "banished from Ponyville FOREVUR". Despite holding the Alicorn Amulet, Trixie has no political authority over the town, and couldn't just order someone out at her whim. And even if she was able to, couldn't Celestia or the Mayor just redistrict Twilight's house out of "Ponyville"?

Third of all, Trixie forgot to put holes in the giant glass thingy. If this show was longer than 22 minutes, she'd condemn not only Ponyville, but herself to death by suffocation. She may have a glowy amulet thing now, but I can tell she's still not the brightest candle on the menorah.

Fourth, Twilight's reasoning that she "can't get in touch with Princess Celestia because Spike's inside the dome" is moot, since it's not like she's blocked off from Canterlot's post office.

Fifth, the Empire Strikes Back reference at about 10:30 was not funny, clever, or wanted.

Sixth, why exactly can't the rest of the Mane 6 just leave? It's not explained very well, and Trixie never gives any justification as to why not.

Seventh, the idea behind an "Alicorn Amulet" MacGuffin is trite and overdone, and its execution is botched. I couldn't really get an exact pinpoint, but I knew throughout the whole episode that I was watching someone else's idea that the writers decided to "borrow".

Eighth, if they were going to do a Rainbow Dash clone, they should have used it two episodes ago. Boring. And Applejack's "mare into a stallion" can easily be done in real life. Again, boring.

Ninth, the Magical Duels, both of them, were crap. I don't think I really need to elaborate on this one.

Tenth, oh my god, the dialogue was bad. I mean, bad. I know Larson has had trouble with chatty scenes in previous episodes. "It's About Time", even though I love love love it, is a good example of how bad he can be at directing speech). But... WOW did this episode take the cake. Nowhere, and I mean NOWHERE, did I hear Twilight, Trixie, Fluttershy, or any other character. I heard actors banging out lines in a dark room in LA waiting for their shift to be over. No immersion at all, Larson.

Eleventh, I'm going to repeat the main problem I had with last episode: why the hell isn't Trixie reprimanded. At least Babs didn't do any physical or psychological damage to anyone but Applebloom and co., never did anything against the law, and fully apologized. So at least I can understand why the CMC would forgive her.

But Trixie's done more and worse than any villain on the show before her (except possibly Nightmare Moon). Her resume now includes enslaving half of a major metropolitan area, usurping local democratically-elected government, destruction of property, unlawful abuse of magic, arson, theft, terrorism, would-be manslaughter, dueling without a license, and jaywalking in the middle of a four-way intersection. In my opinion, that's Osama Bin-Laden worthy behavior. And Twilight does nothing!

So far, I can come up with excuses for Season 3's ineptitude. I don't really like Pinkie in the first place, so "Too Many Pinkie Pies" would never impress me. I can see how they could mess up a PSA episode like "One Bad Apple". I can even understand how a season premier like "Crystal Empire" could be disappointing, especially after months of waiting and hype. But this is a Twilight episode, A FUCKING TWILIGHT EPISODE, and I feel it's up with "Stare Masters" and "MMMystery on the Friendship Express". This season's totally fucked.
1.) I highly disagree with the criticism of the Saddle Arabia pun... I was laughing when I heard it.
2.) Trixie didn't need authority to banish anyone from Ponyville... she had a overpowered amulet and Celestia and Luna were gone.
3.) The airhole thing just seems like a nitpick to me.
4.) Other methods of Twilight seeking help like Canterlot's post office seem like a moot point since the way she sought help worked, and it was just one of a few ways she could've gotten help.
5.) I didn't catch the Star Wars reference, but if you thought it was unfunny, unclever, and unwanted, everyone else might not agree.
6.) The rest of the Mane 6 not leaving WAS explained. Tickling. Or other types of powerful magic. It was heavily implied Trixie was threatening them with violence.
7.) I guess I agree with the amulet thing being dumb, although I think you're being a bit harsh. (And what do you mean you think they borrowed something and you can't pinpoint it? Back up what you say please.)
8.) What.
9.) Disagree.
10.) What.
11.) They chose not to? Even though it was Trixie's fault for using the amulet, it made her worse than she actually is and she saw the error of her ways. It seemed like it was Twilight's choice, and I agreed with her choice. They're a lot more trusting and in tune with people's intentions in the pony world than in real life.

Dick Clark said:
May I see a picture of her in one season 3 episode?
Can't really find pictures, but...

Skip to 4:01 here:

And to 4:13 here:

...So yeah. 2 so far... And considering this season is going to have less episodes than usual, at this rate, Derpy's REALLY going to be underplayed. :(

I am astounded by everyone's complete inability to take a fucking chill pill.

My post was not intended to be a review of the episode. I never said it was, never meant it to be read that way. Most of the nitpicky stuff I say about MLP episodes has no affect on my overall enjoyment of it, or in this case lack thereof. I just happen to like nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking, and finding logical fallacies for the sake of finding logical fallacies. Probably mislead some of you with the formatting of my post, especially the actual review-blurb at the end. Sorry for any confusion.

also mason you spelled "amulet" wrong

I am astounded by everyone's complete inability to take a fucking chill pill.

My post was not intended to be a review of the episode. I never said it was, never meant it to be read that way. Most of the nitpicky stuff I say about MLP episodes has no affect on my overall enjoyment of it, or in this case lack thereof. I just happen to like nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking, and finding logical fallacies for the sake of finding logical fallacies[/b[. Probably mislead some of you with the formatting of my post, especially the actual review-blurb at the end. Sorry for any confusion.

I enjoy that as well

I am astounded by everyone's complete inability to take a *bleep*ing chill pill.

My post was not intended to be a review of the episode. I never said it was, never meant it to be read that way. Most of the nitpicky stuff I say about MLP episodes has no affect on my overall enjoyment of it, or in this case lack thereof. I just happen to like nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking, and finding logical fallacies for the sake of finding logical fallacies. Probably mislead some of you with the formatting of my post, especially the actual review-blurb at the end. Sorry for any confusion.

I don't think it was the fact that you nitpicked for the fun of it, it just seemed like you were deliberately hating on an episode for no real reason. Even if that's the POINT, it's still a little frustrating. Also, yeah, it doesn't help that you mixed in pointless stuff with what you actually felt.

Dick Clark said:
Oh. Well now I feel like a jerk.
I was worried my post came across as mad-sounding but I was only trying to give my opinion. But given the reaction I don't feel bad at all.

ps: amulate amulate amulate amulate

Mason Voorhees said:
Trixie wanted to amulet to get revenge and abuse power in the first place, but when it corrupted her, I assume she went further than she originally intended. When the amulet was removed, the corruption curse was broken and she realized the error of her ways. (Maybe something along the lines of "Wow. I took over Ponyville and banished Twilight when all I really wanted to do was show off and redeem my name as the Great and Powerful Trixie..."

Reading this summary totally gives me such a Majora's Mask vibe, holy fffff!

Just thought I'd share a theory that I have of this episode regarding Trixie in this episode. I'll put it in a spoiler box so those who don't really care about theories about the show can simply read past this post. It mostly regards as to why Trixie apologizes at the end. And how this episode shows much more of her character then she did in her debut. And additionally a big reason why this episode has warmed me up to Trixie more then anything else has.

According to the flashbacks she showed on some sort of magicvision. After Boast Busters, the Ursa Minor incident made her a laughing stock. Nopony wanted to pay attention to her shows any more because her lies had been exposed in Ponyville. Without that, Trixie couldn't get the income she normally gets from being a showmare. Meaning she had to go to Hard Labor instead. And that was the grueling work of the Rock farm, conincidentally working under Pinkie's Family. During this period, she blamed not just Twilight for the downturn in her life but the entire town of Ponyville. If she was ever going to get her career back on track, it was going to be through returning to Ponyville to show what she's made of. However, Twilight was the one obstacle preventing her from doing so. As she knew if she showed up again, Twilight would stop anything she tried to pull. So she needed to find a way to make herself more powerful then Twilight, and that came with the Alicorn Amulet. (I'd also like to note I don't think Twilight was Trixie's big target. Twi was just the big obstacle in the way of what she really wanted. The fact she treated Snips and Snails and everypony else far worse then she did Twilight I think supports this idea) Of course, it was really expensive. So she had to work for months upon months at the Rock farm just to get the amount of money she gives the Shopkeeper at the beginning of the episode. She however didn't know the Amulet would corrupt her, turning her showboating into something more sinister. All she wanted to do was redeem her name and get her career back, but instead the Amulet influenced her into doing things she wouldn't have done without it.

I honestly believe had Trixie returned to Ponyville without the Amulet she still would of dueled Twilight. But she would lose easily without it. But in a completely hypothetical situation where she somehow did win, she wouldn't have taken over Ponyville like she did with the Amulet on. Instead she would of just rubbed it in Twilight's face (Not banishing her), and then started her show again since she would of proven to be the #1 Unicorn in all of Equestria. The amulet amplified her negative emotions to the point where she would banish Twilight after defeating her and then turning the Ponies of Ponyville against their will as her slaves pretty much. Instead of wanting her honor back, she ended up wanting full-on revenge thanks to the Amulet.

When it came down to the 2nd duel, she was fooled into thinking Twilight had been given an amulet that was far stronger then the Alicorn Amulet. (Ironically enough with what amounts to stage tricks and illusions. Twilight beat Trixie at her own game). And thus she threw away the Amulet thinking that stealing Twilight's would win her the duel. But that's exactly what Twilight wanted her to do, the others could now box up the Amulet and take Ponyville back from the hands of a corrupted Trixie. In between the time from the end of the 2nd duel to the start of Twilight's performance. The corruption Trixie felt gradually left and she realized what she had done (The reason she didn't immediately go back to normal after taking it off was much like how it gradually corrupted her for the time she was wearing it, it also gradually goes away when it's off). And she ended up having one of those "My god, what have I done?!" moments offscreen. She sought after Twilight's forgiveness in the middle of the performance.

In short, this episode made me realize Trixie's not that bad of a pony. Her performances is what she lives for, and her showboating is part of her act/personality. Her drive for returning to Ponyville the way she did wasn't just pure revenge on Twilight or the town of Ponyville. She wanted her honor back (This choice of wording totally not influenced by a certain character from another show I love known for wanting their honor back. Nope
ajliar.png
), she wanted an audience again. And the Ursa Minor incident took that away from her. So it drove her to extreme measures to try to get her career back. Which led her to obtain the Alicorn Amulet, which ended up amplifying her negative emotions to the point where she WAS going for pure revenge. The real Trixie showed up at the end to show regret and apologize for her actions. Which delved much more into her character then at any point in her debut. Some Trixie fans already pegged this kind of thing on her, but I didn't see it until now. I can appreciate Trixie much more as a character then I did before.

I suppose this does leave one thing unsolved though. Like Trixie still doesn't have a way to get her career back. She got Twilight's forgiveness, but she's going to need alot more then that if Trixie is to go back to being the showmare she was before Boast Busters. Maybe she'll change up the way she starts out her shows? Like instead of relying heavily on big boasts like defeating the Ursa Major, she'd actually come up with stuff she can back her words up with? Perhaps that will be left open for the fans to decide unless Trixie returns again in a later episode.

Back