Do Yoshi is Lizard or Dinosaur?

• Lizard

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Dinosaur

Votes: 25 92.6%

• Total voters
I pick "Dinosaur" because he is one.

Per SMB.

The question isn't even correct. Does this bloke speak English at all?

I sometimes hear people saying "Dragon", or "Frog", but Nintendo refers Yoshi as "Dinosaur".

President Iwata said:
The question isn't even correct. Does this bloke speak English at all?
I believe he has said that he is learning English.

Excuse the off-topic post, but what's his first language then?

I'd say, ask him through PM.

[quote author=Topic]
"Who is Yoshi?"
[/quote]
The real question is....

Who is not Yoshi?

54717.gif

Mama Yami said:
I sometimes hear people saying "Dragon", or "Frog", but Nintendo refers Yoshi as "Dinosaur".

It's a Fragonsaur! LOL

But seriously, I think that whether Yoshi is a dinosaur, dragon, lizard, frog, or whatever is up to fan speculation (i.e. you decide what he is).

He's stated as a dinosaur, but I believe he was also incorporated with lizard like abilities (eg. his long tongue refers to a chameleon I believe).

Mutated Bipedal Frog

AKA Abomination of Nature.

My hate for Yoshi shows.

Nightwatcher said:
Hope you don't mind me asking, but why do you hate Yoshi?

I bet it's his voice. That would be the only reason for me to hate Yoshi, if I hated him.

Since Yoshi and his species was introduced as part of Dinosaur Land, he looks like a very friendly T-rex, and I'm pretty sure the instruction booklet of Super Mario World explicitly said what he was, I'm going with dinosaur.

Scrub Jay said:
Mutated Bipedal Frog

AKA Abomination of Nature.

My hate for Yoshi shows.
</biased>

He's a dinosaur. Please name me one lizard that is that size and walks upright all of the time.

Yoshi's obviously a dinosaur. You know what's a bit weird, though? Yoshi's male, but he lays eggs...

Little is known about the gender-differences of Yoshi. The Japanese version of Super Smash Bros. Melee states in Yoshi's trophy that Yoshi reproduce asexually, meaning that they reproduce without a mate, and are neither male nor female.

All Yoshi are shown to lay eggs, though not all are used for reproduction. Most are actually used as weapons, as first shown in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. However Game & Watch Gallery 2 and Game and Watch Gallery 4 feature the Chef minigame, in which the main Yoshi is actually seen laying eggs that do hatch.

At least one of the Yoshi in Paper Mario refers to his "son," and in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, the Yoshi who sometimes appears on-board the Excess Express expresses his hatred of business trips due to them keeping him away from his "lovely wife." Additionally, in the original Mario Party, two Yoshi, one specifically male and the other specifically female, hoped to be reunited, and eventually were, though the two did not appear to have a romantic relationship.

Finally, in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Otacon states that Yoshi is a male, contrary to Solid Snake's belief. Male pronouns are often applied to Yoshi in his other appearances, though male pronouns can sometimes be given to someone of unknown sex. It should also be noted that the Japanese rarely use gender-specific pronouns at all.

Back