The death of sprites?

Koopayoshi

Shine Sprite
Since the 3DS will come out, they will use polygons more often. So does that mean that there will be no more sprites? (I don't mean like title screans and stuff)

Right because Nintendo handheld games are the only place sprites are ever used anymore.

Sprites will never die.
An example I know about, Mario Kart DS:
Stages are separate 3D models and textures, but objects like crabs, Goomba's, etc. are still sprites.
I only don't have a PARTNER-CTR Debugger, so I can't check out how 3DS games work.

The newest Pokemon generation has all characters in it that uses sprites. I'm pretty sure they'll continue using sprites for the next Pokemon generation.

Baby Luigi Lacertae said:
The newest Pokemon generation has all characters in it that uses sprites. I'm pretty sure they'll continue using sprites for the next Pokemon generation.
I'm not sure, the next Pokemon game might be on the 3DS

The 3DS may end sprites being the standards on at least one platform, but sprite-based graphics will still remain a decently strong niche thanks to arcade fighting games (and other genres, but mostly fighters) and "indie"/doujin developers who can't afford the expense of decent 3D modelling.

Personally, I think the idea of sprites dying is absurd. They'll be used when they're needed indefinitely. Don't forget HUDs you guys. I don't know about anyone else but I don't want purely 3D-generated HUDs in every game.

Nope, sprites will forever go strong, considering they are the sole factor that started gaming to begin with. Besides, plenty of people still want sprites and even game companies have stated that want that in their future games, so no certainly not dead.

Plus if you count outside the 3DS and there are tons of indie and other pc games(even console games) that STILL use sprites.

So really, I don't think it's ever gonna end.

and thank god for that because I love me some nice fluid animated sprites. Sexy stuff I tell ya.

Sprites will never die, they're often used on japanese RPG games for consoles until now. The best RPG'S are the one with sprites in my opinion, and i Play A LOT of those. And they are a pilar of gaming and people still love them and want them to be in their games. There's even people that only like games with sprites based graphics.

Even this forum uses sprites. Via smilies. Even if sprites DO die, I'll just draw some.

Sprites are fun and simple to make. I would be really sad if they were to die.

Yes; it is easier to edit a sprite than vertex hack a model.

Hm, after I played a game on the 3DS, the OP does have a point on the death of sprites. Wouldn't it be difficult to make a completely sprite-based game on a system based on 3D?

I'm sure Paper Mario will use sprites, however, for major stuff and it will look great on a 3DS.

Baby Luigi Lacertae said:
Hm, after I played a game on the 3DS, the OP does have a point on the death of sprites. Wouldn't it be difficult to make a completely sprite-based game on a system based on 3D?

I'm sure Paper Mario will use sprites, however, for major stuff and it will look great on a 3DS.

It's not like Nintendo is the only living company that uses sprites.

I don't see how playing the 3ds would bring you to that conclusion. Besides, it's the 3Ds, and it is still possible to make a sprite oriented game in it.

Keep in mind that menu's of every single game to date use sprites.
This can't be changed, unless you want to see a screen filled with polygons, nurbs and textures.

Goddess of Death said:
This can't be changed, unless you want to see a screen filled with polygons, nurbs and textures.

Exactly. And textures are technically sprites. They are just skins on a model.

Goddess of Death said:
Don't mean like that, I mean, actual characters

And again, textures are sprites too.
In that fact, they still use sprites, as a layer for 3D models, as 3D models never have more than 1 colour.

Goddess of Death said:
And again, textures are sprites too.
In that fact, they still use sprites, as a layer for 3D models, as 3D models never have more than 1 colour.
NOT TEXTURES

Oh yes, they are.
A true 3D model has only 1 colour, they mostly use white.

Sprites won't Die, I can easily see Pokemon White/Black's Third Version (e.g. Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum) in 3D, The Houses look 3D and so do the battles, so it'd work if they make them along with everything else, 3D. The Characters would still be sprites though.

Yes. The new era of video game graphics has dawned upon us...

Claymation

Back