Nintendo's Arcade Archives(Orginal Mario Bros and Vs. Super Mario Bros coming)

Pink Cat

Not always pink, not always a cat
Pronouns
Kie/Mer
Announced today, Hamster is continuing it's Arcade Archives series with Nintendo Arcade games ... yep it's not Virtual Console but I think it's actually better

Ya see, the Arcade Archives(Plus some magical Breakout game that used to general same theme) I have have the original and Japanese versions of the game, plus a way to use save states and online leaderboards and it's only 7 bucks.

You're probably wondering why Donkey Kong isn't among them, well, there is some legal mumbo jumbo, so you're going to have to stick with Donkey Kong 64.

Pink Cat said:
Announced today, Hamster is continuing it's Arcade Archives series with Nintendo Arcade games ... yep it's not Virtual Console but I think it's actually better

Ya see, the Arcade Archives(Plus some magical Breakout game that used to general same theme) I have have the original and Japanese versions of the game, plus a way to use save states and online leaderboards and it's only 7 bucks.

You're probably wondering why Donkey Kong isn't among them, well, there is some legal mumbo jumbo, so you're going to have to stick with Donkey Kong 64.

I find it quite a treat that Mario Bros. (not Super Mario Bros.) is the first game since it's basically Mario (and Luigi)'s first step towards independence. The fact that the Arcade version is the definitive version compared to the NES version makes it even better. It's surprising that there are people assuming that these games are to be bought again, since the Arcade versions were never re-released on home consoles, and they are different from the original (going by what's being said: I never played any of them).

It's a shame that Donkey Kong could not be re-released, since it was a significant piece of Nintendo history that basically defined Nintendo. I wonder if they are open to re-releasing their lesser-known games like Sheriff and Sky Skipper.

Thank you for reading.

Reading through Mario's arcade "games" pages on the wiki, a lot of Mario arcade games are actually pretty recent (Mario Kart GP, Luigi's Mansion Arcade) or ... gambling, yeah, not too much of a point of porting what is basically a slot machine where you can't win neither real or fake prizes.

Obviously, the next step is Donkey Kong Jr and 3, I do hope we can finally play Arcade GP on consoles but that doesn't seem to be in the cards of what Hamster has done(No 3D games, nothing after 2000, nothing from Namco since they take care of that themselves.) but things can change

Of the Vs. series, the ones that have direct relationship with Mario are Vs. Dr. Mario and Vs. Wrecking Crew and I do believe the Super Punch Out arcade game also had Mario cameos

I was just thinking the same thing, please bring Vs. Wrecking Crew. It's got great simultaneous two player, and of course has never been ported.

I also agree with winstein, Sky Skipper would be cool as well. But let's not forget Radar Scope.

I must say, though, look at DK64. While not exactly the same (climbing ladders is faster), it was extremely close. So, even if it's not part of Arcade Archives, why not just try to come as close as possible to the arcade version? The only differences I see in the DK64 port are the speed of climbing ladders and that the palette seems to be slightly off, e.g. the girders look more red than pink.

This was the most exciting news for me in the latest Direct. I've been hoping for home versions of the arcade games since the Wii Virtual Console was a thing. I always wanted to play the originals since the NES versions are a bit limited in certain areas, missing things, etc. Is Donkey Kong the only one affected by the legal stuff, or the whole trilogy? I remember hearing about that many years back as reasoning to why Nintendo never seemed to re-release their arcade titles but I never got the full story. Coincidentally, Donkey Kong is the only original Nintendo cabinet I've been able to find and play. Plus, like it was mentioned, DK64 has a pretty accurate version as well. So I won't be too broken up if only that's not included. Very excited for the Vs. games as well. I never thought we'd see those at all; I thought Nintendo would deem them too similar to their NES counterparts and just never release them.

Donkey Kong Jr. is also affected; infact, it was the game that caused the lawsuit in the first place due to Nintendo hiring an outside company to reverse-engineer Ikegami Tsushinki's code. No idea on Dongs 3.

I wonder if a Game & Watch Archive is in the cards. There are some weird Mario games there, like Mario's Bomb's Away and the Donkey Kong Circus game.

Glowsquid said:
Donkey Kong Jr. is also affected; infact, it was the game that caused the lawsuit in the first place due to Nintendo hiring an outside company to reverse-engineer Ikegami Tsushinki's code. No idea on Dongs 3.

Isn't DK3 different from the other two Donkey Kong arcade games to be able to be released? I am assuming that due to the different gameplay structure, it must have had a more original coding compared to the past two games.

Thank you for reading.

Manged to play Mario Bros off birthday money, the physics and controls aren't any better than any other version but the visuals are so much more charming, so if you haven't got a version already, I say go for it

Also, the Vs. Series has a couple of more Mario games, kinda, Vs. Pinball and Vs. Golf both have strong Mario themes ... while Vs. regular Golf anyways, not so much vs. Lady Golf

Also, for those who wished for Vs. Wrecking Crew, it was confirmed from Famistu

Pink Cat said:
Also, for those who wished for Vs. Wrecking Crew, it was confirmed from Famistu

Very pleased about that, will be getting it on launch. Hopefully, that's confirmed soon. And Vs. SMB getting an official home port! Who thought we'd see the day?

Vs. Super Mario Bros is now out on all regional stores! I recommend a trip to the option menu because the controls preset are quite goofy (B to jump WTF).

And now for a real surprise... Arcade Archives Donkey Kong! Yes, the original Donkey Kong arcade that made not only the titular ape a household name, but Mario too! That would mean that even the pie level is here. Now the question is: will it have the US level order where it goes like this:
Cycle 1 25m, 100m
Cycle 2 25m, 75m, 100m
Cycle 3 25m, 50m, 75m, 100m
Cycle 4 25m, 50m, 25m, 75m, 100m
Cycle 5+ 25m, 50m, 25m, 75m, 25m, 100m

https://nintendoeverything.com/arcade-archives-donkey-kong-seeing-surprise-release-on-switch-tomorrow/

Thank you for reading.

I bet they worked out those legal issues with ITC, huh?

Re: Nintendo's Arcade Archives - DONKEY KONG!

winstein said:
And now for a real surprise... Arcade Archives Donkey Kong! Yes, the original Donkey Kong arcade that made not only the titular ape a household name, but Mario too! That would mean that even the pie level is here. Now the question is: will it have the US level order where it goes like this:
Cycle 1 25m, 100m
Cycle 2 25m, 75m, 100m
Watched the Treehouse except of Arcade Archives there - it has three versions, the original (bugged) JP version, the fixed JP version *and* the international/US version. So both level orders.

Mewta said:
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1007298193971744769
Not necessarily Mario related but very interesting, very rare arcade game Sky Skipper is coming to Archives, they had to hunt down the last remaining cabinet of the otherwise unreleased American version to get the complete package..
Well, they didn't exactly have to hunt it down. It was in the archives *at their HQ* the whole time, and they pulled it out a couple of years ago so some guys could recreate the cabinet, so it's not as if they didn't know it was there... https://www.skyskipperproject.com

Sgt Nate V said:
Must have done in some form, I suppose - unless they're lying and it's a DK64esque remake. The curious thing is that they don't seem to be crediting Ikegami anywhere, which you'd expect to be part of throwing some cash at them, ¥€$? Unless it was a case of the settlement giving Nintendo full rights to do as they please after X years had passed? (Presumably, if so, they didn't expect it to have any value by 2018)

I think the most amazing thing with Donkey Kong Arcade Classics is that like Pokemon, it can be played with one hand, since the controls listed ZL as an alternative jump button. I suppose it's an option if you want to go to that direction.

Reboot said:
winstein said:
Cycle 1 25m, 100m
Cycle 2 25m, 75m, 100m
Watched the Treehouse except of Arcade Archives there - it has three versions, the original (bugged) JP version, the fixed JP version *and* the international/US version. So both level orders.

Sgt Nate V said:
Must have done in some form, I suppose - unless they're lying and it's a DK64esque remake. The curious thing is that they don't seem to be crediting Ikegami anywhere, which you'd expect to be part of throwing some cash at them, ¥€$? Unless it was a case of the settlement giving Nintendo full rights to do as they please after X years had passed? (Presumably, if so, they didn't expect it to have any value by 2018)

Yep, when I found out that Donkey Kong returns, I watched the Treehouse Live footage and got that question answered. It's nice to also have it confirmed here in text form too.

Previously Donkey Kong had releases as limited editions with four completed levels, so I guess that's not an issue now. The only thing is that since we have a comprehensive arcade release of Donkey Kong, I agree that it might have been a timing issue.

Thank you for reading.

Back