Has humanity as a whole become more toxic?

Cynics are grumpier, wimps are more whiny, terrorists have tripled their lust for bloodshed, authorities are more censorship happy, and average everyday joes seem to be a thing of the past. Is it just me?

There's always been awful people no matter what time period it is. There isn't a defining factor of whether humanity is "more toxic" or not

CaptainXtra said:
Cynics are grumpier, wimps are more whiny, terrorists have tripled their lust for bloodshed, authorities are more censorship happy, and average everyday joes seem to be a thing of the past. Is it just me?

yes

I actually think the opposite is occurring. I know there's a lot of work yet to be done, but we've had increased acceptance of groups that were thought to be taboo, especially better LGBT rights than we ever had been. Gay marriage is now legal, becoming legalized in more countries as people fight for those rights, we have more knowledge on transgenders and where exactly they find their place on this world than we ever had, and we are being educated on once oppressed and marginalized minorities. In addition, women can now take on more jobs and roles than any time in history, and the gender gap is slowly decreasing. Additionally, I think crime rates are getting lower and lower, at least in the US.

I mean, despite Trump going into power in the US, there's so much resistance against his racist policies, and I'm glad to see people protesting in demonstrations and marches against this type of attitude towards people decades old that should have died out a long time ago.

Terrorism has always been a thing of humanity; it's been constantly documented and such. I don't think it's any worse now than it had been a century ago.

Cyberbullying has increased an unrecordable amount since the 60s. :(

The number of dead people has been constantly rising in this same time period and is projected to keep up this trend. :(

A mere 15 years ago, the only major issues were as simple as "what sounds do animals make" and "do you know your ABCs" and the ever controversial "eat your vegetables or you don't get any dessert". It seems that's all anyone ever talked about.

CaptainXtra said:

Where are you pulling these numbers from?

Magikrazy said:
Cyberbullying has increased an unrecordable amount since the 60s. :(

The number of dead people has been constantly rising in this same time period and is projected to keep up this trend. :(

A mere 15 years ago, the only major issues were as simple as "what sounds do animals make" and "do you know your ABCs" and the ever controversial "eat your vegetables or you don't get any dessert". It seems that's all anyone ever talked about.
it's impossible for me to give you the amount of likes you deserve.

Compared to what? The sick fucks that killed 11 million people 70 years ago?

There's an infinite amount of problems that we could all sit and reflect on.

Be the change that you want to see in the world.

probably the same always

just a lot easier to come across because internet and media and anonymity

im just speaking out of my ass though

We are living after the baby boom and George W. Bush and the Great Recession.... so maybe people are snappier because of that shit they have to go through.

i'm torn

i see a lot of people rising up against the far-right, yet more and more far-right politicians are gaining power, prompting me to believe that hatred is alive and more prominent in the world around us

i see no hope for either side of the political spectrum tbh, and that's what makes me weep for humanity, if they're willing to cling on to the belief that you can only be on the left or the right

still, never let it be said that i'm not an optimistic fellow. I believe someday, we will overcome these petty values and work towards a better future, together

I think they're always there, but a few things.

The Internet has given the "alt-right" a voice and platform to stand on as well as a means to unite and polarize those who have those beliefs, thus creating a loud echo chamber.

I see parallels between the Great Recession and the Great Depression where a huge economic crisis that was felt throughout the globe largely influenced these people who are feeling that way, and it helped them mobilize and pin a scapegoat on an increasing minority. Back then, it was Jews. Today, we now have Muslims and Latino immigrants (and U.S. history shows that we have repeatedly tried removing and oppressing these ethnic minorities for the same reasons then as it is today, mainly fear that they'll "take over" the culture and make the white population itself a minority).

Bad Things That Happened, ranked from least bad to worse:

-Institutionalized slavery

-Religious crusades

-The looming scepter of complete nuclear annhilation

-Genocide

-Social Medias

Well, it's apparent something has happened, what I'm worried about is how will this whole social debacle blow over or at the very least quiet down before people start killing each other?

Salazzle said:
Both sides are *bleep*ing stupid and will always be *bleep*ing stupid.

That's why I'm "*bleep* everything middle"
Centrists can be very dumb as well. We have the Obama administration as a prime example.

So yeah, nowhere to go.

Really digging through history makes you realize that humanity has ALWAYS been toxic, people just think its worse now because we have more access to the world then previous, but no i think its the same as its always been in terms of getting any worse.

However i dont think our planet is without hope however, as there are people out there that may seem perverted and sometimes cruel but also at times they are merciful and considerate, i could list many examples of good souls just in this community, let alone in other communities or even in such as some hospital or in a mental facility.

Many people have taught me many things as some are quite nice about it and some go a bit overboard, but i have no doubt in my mind that there is great hope for humanity and while the big bad negatives of the world will still haunt us, but at least we can live and be assured that there are plenty of people out there and here, that can make us be at ease, become stronger, and maybe guide the younger and less experienced to a better future.

Kinda corny you're probably thinking but sometimes its the truth and that also tells you to never give in to negativity as it will always exist, but i guess to answer the question, no i dont think it has become more toxic, if anything we may be treading better ground, as i feel humanity has improved, even by a little bit, its still enough to keep me going and conquer the hell out of those negative moments, people here, people at the mental facility; highland rivers, has taught me that very well.

in short no i think we're improving bit by bit.

Back