Author Topic: I just beat __  (Read 152454 times)

Bandana Waddle Dee

• The Legend of Dee
  • Shine Sprite
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
Re: I just beat __
« Reply #1840 on: December 24, 2018, 07:19:48 PM »
Kirby Star Allies (100% + DLC)

Today I attained the platinum crown on my save file, which means I have done the following:

-Completed Story Mode with all Rare Picture Pieces and Big Switches
-Completed Guest Star ???? at least once
-Completed Heroes in Another Dimension mode with all 120 Friend Hearts
-Ranked 3rd or higher in Star Slam Heroes at World Crisis difficulty
-Ranked 3rd or higher in Chop Champs at Chop Champion difficulty
-Completed The Ultimate Choice at both Soul Melter and Soul Melter EX difficulties

It was no easy task, especially that final requirement.  I was determined to beat the standard Soul Melter with Team Return to Dream Land, and I eventually did.  But I didn't hold to such restrictions when I challenged Soul Melter EX.  No, I used the most powerful team I could muster.  I beat it with my girl Ribbon alongside Adeleine, The Three Mage-Sisters, Marx, and Magolor.  And as I learned throughout my many attempts, the Crystal Shards duo is no joke!  They have a vertical attack, a ranged attack, a healing ability, a block that's basically impenetrable, and three bosses from earlier Kirby games!  They do have very low defense, however, but outside of the final battle, that never posed much of a problem due to their ultimate healing abilities and impenetrable block.

All in all, I loved my ride through this game, and I can confidently say it ranks in my top ten video games of all time.  This was also the first Kirby game I actually owned, and it definitely left a good impression on me.  I plan to get The Crystal Shards and Return to Dream Land in a couple months, so I have some more Kirby to look forward to.  And on a side note, I achieved my goal of beating Soul Melter EX before Christmas, so when I (hopefully) get Smash Ultimate tomorrow, I won't have to worry about this anymore.

On a side note, I also completed the Sound Test, finished all Celebration Pictures, and cleared Guest Star ???? with all 13 Dream Friends.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 10:33:37 AM by Santa Yoshi »

winstein

• Power Star
  • Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: December 24, 2018, 10:15:21 PM »

Pixel Puzzle Collection (Mobile)

Pixel Puzzle Collection is a Konami game, which is a surprising game because it's contrary to the opinion on what type of company Konami is perceived as: disinterest in the classics, preferring to do the bare minimum for the games, and their focus on generating as much money as possible from each customer. This game is unlike that in that it's celebrating the classic Konami (plus Hudson) games, delving into the classics through the puzzles and music, and it's also a free game.

So what kind of gameplay is Pixel Puzzle Collection anyway? Basically, it's Picross, so if you know how to play Picross, then you will know what's in store with this game. The game's level progression is different from the Picross games, as the game randomly selects a puzzle to be solved, so in a way, progression is linear because you can't choose. However, the game allows you to continue your progress later, with up to 3 puzzles saved. The game also has puzzles that would form a bigger picture: the 2x2 ones are called Mini-BOSS, while the 4x4 ones are called BOSS. The former are found in the regular puzzle roulette, but the latter a separate puzzle so you have to solve it before you can do the next BOSS puzzle. Moreover, the BOSS puzzles have a 3-hour cooldown before you can solve the next one, and because there are 160 of them, it took a while to complete them all.

The game's puzzles are split between 10 categories, 5 based on genre and 5 based on franchises. On the genre side, there are: Action, Shooting, Thinking, Sports and Variety. For franchises, there are: Gradius, Parodius, Bomberman, School Girls and Castlevania. In terms of franchises, Gradius, Bomberman and Castlevania are solid picks, but I thought that Parodius and School Girls (with games like Tokimeki Memorial) are odd choices for franchises to base a category on, since it's in my opinion not that popular so they're not the best franchise to represent Konami. If it were up to me to choose other categories, I would have picked Goemon and Metal Gear. Speaking of this, Metal Gear is surprisingly absent, as I have never encountered a picture from the venerable franchise. I kind of assume that the falling out between Konami and Hideo Kojima plays a factor on this.

So for how well Picross is controlled on a mobile phone, I must say that it's surprisingly difficult at parts even though the puzzles never got bigger than 15x15. The 5x5 puzzles and 10x10 puzzles are simple and intuitive enough, but it's the 15x15 ones that are the more troublesome to control. You see, the 15x15 ones have a zoom function, but I didn't really like it because it doesn't allow players to mark several pixels in a row, unlike the zoomed out grid. Therefore I play on a zoomed out grid all the time. Since this game's majority of puzzles are 15x15, I essentially played on a smaller view most of the time. On the bright side, the game automatically crosses out unfilled pixels if the filled pixels matches the numbers, which is a convenience that I would love to see in the Picross games.

Completion of the game to 100% unlocks an Expert Mode, which is the same game as before, except the function that crosses a pixel out is disabled, making it so you can use the process of elimination to make the puzzle easier. I have found out though, that the feature of unfilled pixels being crossed out still works, so in theory it could be abused. If you think that there's nothing else to do in the game except for the added challenge, the game added a few new puzzles so there is an incentive to play more. For the time being, I consider this game complete because I reached 100%, and playing any more would inflate the percentage, so it would likely go to 200% when all is said and done.

Besides, it's a competent Picross game in all but name, and it's certainly better than Pokemon Picross, another free Picross game but that one has a monetary system that incentivises paying since that game has an energy system, unlike this game. This game, on the other hand... if you like Picross, you can never go wrong with this one, unless you are in Europe, which from last I heard, is still not available (you can check if it is, as what I heard may be outdated).

Thank you for reading.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 12:05:14 PM by winstein »
(Credit goes to Alex95 for this signature)

Sakura Matou

• The Imaginary Element
  • Celestial Guide
  • Crackin355
  • "Welcome home, Senpai." △
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: December 28, 2018, 01:26:12 AM »
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness

They should probably just get whoever wrote this game to write the mainline games.

Still got the post-game to go, which is like half the entire game itself.

winstein

• Power Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: December 31, 2018, 12:05:57 PM »

Qbeh-1: The Atlas Cube (PC)

I wanted to finish one last game before the year 2018 is over, but it seems like I wouldn't be able to make it with Trine 2, so I picked this game out of my unfinished collection and be done with it. Unfortunately, I completed this game past midnight as I got to this game a deal later than I would have liked.

This game is a first-person puzzle platformer. The premise of this puzzle platformer is that the player can collect cubes in order to solve puzzles and progress. The cubes can't be placed just about anywhere, as they can only be placed on designated areas, to control where they can be used. There are four different cubes with different functions:
- Red cubes are simple solid blocks that are used as platforms
- Blue cubes function like red cubes, but they are also required to activate red switches (so they are basically key items)
- Purple cubes create a cubic force field that lowers gravity, allowing the player to float and jump higher
- Green cubes moves on one direction (the side that it is placed), and disappears after a set amount of time

The levels are indicated as cubes, each with six sides, so each world have six levels. The game technically have 5 worlds and 1 extra world, since the credits roll after the fifth world is completed, leaving the sixth world as an extra. The thing is, every world introduces a new element that it felt like the sixth world is the one where the level is outside the introduction phase. Each world introduces a cube type, then what did one of the worlds introduce since there are 4 cubes and 5 worlds? One level is actually dedicated to introducing fans that blow a strong wind that the player cannot resist except with an obstruction in the way. So those are the five elements.

One thing that this game have is a checkpoint system, which is inconvenient but probably intended as a way to make sure players are careful I guess. There are several ways to die in the game, with not only falling out of bounds, but also being squashed by an obstacle, falling from a great height and touching some red substance that look like blood but behaves like lava (personally this is frightening because there is a stinging sound and the screen immediately goes black). Interestingly, one checkpoint can only active at one time, so if two checkpoints are in close proximation, then they can be activated after one another to save the current game state.

This game also contains hidden collectibles that look like shining pyramids, and they are typically located at hidden locations. Some of them are not quite tough to reach since they are well-hidden, but some of them are just... I have no idea how anybody could figure out the location without a guide, since a number of them requires backtracking and are found in obscure location. The game truly rewards those that like to explore levels, to put it that way. The levels are otherwise straightforward and thus doesn't require much time to figure out, given that this game is rather linear. Even then, there are a couple of achievements that are devious: one requires that the player never touch water (which is possible), and the other requires not dying. They are very tough that I wouldn't dream of getting them, so I forget about them.

The environment is reminiscent to Q.U.B.E., which is another first-person puzzle game I played: there is a sense of loneliness in the place as there are no living characters to interact with. Unlike Q.U.B.E., the levels felt like floating dungeons so the player is essentially exploring some ruins. I suppose this is how it's like when the game is described as "atmospheric", as there's no story to speak of, so it's basically just clearing the levels. The music I felt aren't quite memorable, which is another indication of this being an atmospheric game. So yeah, the concept is neat, and the level design is solid.

Thank you for reading.

---

Games beaten in 2018:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MnSG

• Shine Sprite
  • Cosmic Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: January 02, 2019, 10:46:32 PM »
I've recently 100% completed the first Crash Bandicoot, from the N. Sane Trilogy. Next up is Crash Bandicoot 2.

Note: This does NOT include the extra level, Stormy Ascent, as that level does not count towards 100% completion.

Kligma

• OH, MY!!
  • Goomba
    • View Profile
« Reply #1845 on: January 03, 2019, 07:36:05 AM »
I just beat Super Mario Land 2. It's such a little gem, I really liked it. Just pure fun and wackyness.
Sometimes I open the closet and just gag.

NanoPhoenix

• The hill in the background with eyes
  • King Bowser
  • NanoRim
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1846 on: January 03, 2019, 10:01:47 PM »
Kirby Star Allies (Switch)

Finished the main story and will do the post game content later. Onward to Super Mario Party.

winstein

• Power Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: January 06, 2019, 09:32:56 AM »

Bomb Chicken (Switch)

As of now, Bomb Chicken is on the Switch, which made it exclusive to it until a PC version is announced. Because of that, I got this game when it was on sale since it's not on Steam at that point of time.

So the gist of this game is that in a Mayan pyramid (converted into a processing plant), some blue essence has seeped into an egg, which hatched into a large (compared to the average chicken in-game) and round chicken, and the chicken is born with the ability to lay bombs that has several uses, which is a set up for a simple game that is dictated by level design.

To elaborate on Bomb Chicken's abilities, laying bombs is pretty much the only thing the chicken can do, and not much. Sure it can walk left and right, but every button that's not directional or pausing is assigned to laying down bombs. Yes that's right: Bomb Chicken cannot jump at all. So what good does it do with just laying bombs? The chicken can keep laying bombs as long as it's on the ground, which means that you can stack them to reach a higher elevation and then drop from there. Since the chicken itself is kind of floaty, this can be used to your advantage. The bombs can also be used as projectiles, as you can lay them and then push them, so that they travel all the way until it hits something. Moreover, the chicken can stomp most enemies to dispose of them. It should be noted that, just like Bomberman, Bomb Chicken can even die from its bombs' explosion.

I would describe the levels as compact yet has enough challenge, which is how I felt about the Wario Land platformers also. Given how Bomb Chicken is a bulky and floaty mover, I would say it fits Wario's way of moving too (sans jumping). In any case, the levels have a general theme that maintains a different challenge in each level. One such level has blue liquid that will generate lethal shockwaves if explosions happen there, and another level is focused on sprout enemies. The game has 29 levels, and of the 29 levels, 3 are boss levels. If that sounds like there's too little, it does. Because each level could be completed in such a short time, the 29 levels are over with in less than 4 hours, even when obtaining all the collectibles.

I do love a game with great spritework, and this game does have it. On the other hand, music is not terribly remarkable. Overall, I found the experience to be interesting, but it would be accurate to say that I wished there were more levels, since the current package is pretty lacking in length.

Thank you for reading.

Bandana Waddle Dee

• The Legend of Dee
  • Shine Sprite
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: January 06, 2019, 10:27:28 PM »
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch)

Beat World of Light 100%, with the true ending and both bad endings, and it was so epic.  One of the best final boss battles ever.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MnSG

• Shine Sprite
  • Cosmic Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: January 09, 2019, 10:53:55 PM »
Crash Bandicoot: N.Sane Trilogy

Recently 100% completed Crash Bandicoot 2, and have started working on Crash Bandicoot Warped.

Auburn S

• Dry Bowser
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: January 12, 2019, 01:41:36 PM »
Super Mario Odyssey

Collected every power moon and bought every regular (non-special) outfit. I'll consider that a 100%.

Bandana Waddle Dee

• The Legend of Dee
  • Shine Sprite
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: January 12, 2019, 04:08:35 PM »
Mario Tennis Aces (Switch)

Beat Adventure Mode, with all missions completed except for the ones on the Island of Trials (which I plan to do soon).  I actually broke Lucien before the final battle, and yet somehow he came back.  It was pretty easy save for a few missions, but the Island of Trials should pose more of a challenge when I get around to playing it.

Sakura Matou

• The Imaginary Element
  • Celestial Guide
  • Crackin355
  • "Welcome home, Senpai." △
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: January 14, 2019, 08:34:59 AM »
Fate/Extra

thank god for save states and x2 speed. It was a nice game but very slow and the gameplay was just... who really thought Rock-Paper-Scissors is an okay battle system. It was more of a pain because I chose Caster who has low defense and died after 3 mistakes. By the end of the game enemy skills would just OHKO her, although there were stuns and skills I could use to avoid those. I think using save states to get perfect rounds and avoid ohko's was more fun than what the actual game would have been.

It was nice of Buddha to show up and be the final boss. real cool of him to do that.

Kligma

• OH, MY!!
  • Goomba
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: January 14, 2019, 03:52:15 PM »
Kid Icarus: Uprising. I started that savefile after I got the game as a Christmas present in 2014, so it was about time I actually finished it. Great fun, love the characters and the humour. I struggled with the first stages of the final boss but the later stages traded the difficulty for sheer epicness, so beating it was immenseley satisfying.

MnSG

• Shine Sprite
  • Cosmic Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: January 15, 2019, 11:02:27 PM »
Yooka-Laylee

100% completed the following worlds...

1: Tribalstack Tropics
2: Moodymaze Marsh

I also managed to defeat I.N.E.P.T. (the game's fourth boss), whom from what I've heard, received an infamous reputation for being a rather cruel boss to deal with.

winstein

• Power Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: January 16, 2019, 12:47:58 AM »

Circuits

This premise of the game is simple: a music track is played, and you need to place samples of music into empty slots so that the music matches the played track. While it certainly sounds simple, the game gets a bit more complex later, where there is even an option to loop a sample or later on, select a branched track and loop a series of samples. Fortunately there is one point in the game where you can switch between layers, which would make identifying the samples easier. Later levels however, removed this feature because I guess it would have been pretty easy otherwise. The game however, has a pretty good hint system because some samples sound to similar to one another, and the checking system allows one to identify the mistakes more easily.

While this game is designed for headphones, being essentially a musical matching game, I didn't use the headphones so I wasn't able to get the intricacies of the music track.

There's nothing much that could be said about this game, since it's pretty simple so nothing much else goes on with it (and it's short).

Thank you for reading.

Kligma

• OH, MY!!
  • Goomba
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: January 16, 2019, 08:58:59 AM »
The original Super Mario Bros. (Virtual Console on 3DS). I played this game SO much during my childhood but it's still great. Since one can make savepoints on the virtual console I didn't play it one sitting, but still more condensed over a shorter span of time than I usually play games, which was pretty neat. The worlds feel cohesive and offered some variety even though each level on its own isn't the most memorable as far as Super Mario levels go. I don't know whether the difficulty notably goes up around world 5 or if it's just because I usually made it to around world 4 when I played as a kid, but I was actually surprised by just how effortless the first four worlds felt for me this time around until that point where it became considerably more of a challenge. Anyhow, it's always a joy to play and this was the first time I played all of the game from beginning to end on my own, so that felt satisfying too.

Rin Tohsaka

• Head of the Tohsaka Family
  • Retired Wiki Staff
  • Power Star
  • Super-Yoshi
  • #1 Magecrafter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: January 16, 2019, 10:40:23 PM »
the first 3 spyros

id say 1 > 2 > 3 because *bleep* skateboarding in 3 and *bleep* the camera in 2

hee heehee hee

Kligma

• OH, MY!!
  • Goomba
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: January 19, 2019, 01:50:49 PM »
Super Mario Bros. Lost Levels, although I would never in a million years have been able to do it without some... generous use of the savepoint function. Even so it was challenging, but a lot of fun and very satisfying to finish. I didn't use any warp pipe so I got the ninth world too, which I adored so much I went through it twice in a row.

Bandana Waddle Dee

• The Legend of Dee
  • Shine Sprite
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: January 19, 2019, 01:55:58 PM »
Super Mario Bros. Lost Levels, although I would never in a million years have been able to do it without some... generous use of the savepoint function. Even so it was challenging, but a lot of fun and very satisfying to finish. I didn't use any warp pipe so I got the ninth world too, which I adored so much I went through it twice in a row.
Good luck beating the game seven more times...