gba plays gba games (currently playing ~ Fire Emblem)

Re: gba plays gba games (currently playing ~ Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones)

Raigh said:
G E N E R A L A M E L I A B O Y S
yup that was my intention
i love the generals in this game

also i think amelia's now one of my favourite characters
gonna start chapter 11 again, now that i'm actually prepared

Amelia's one of my favourite characters too, because I love Amelia and Franz's support together, it's really cute, and a bit sad.

cool i was hoping to pair those two up later

Cleared chapters 11 and 12
Recruited L'arachel, Dozla, Ewan and Saleh

that gargoyle map SUCKED
also I did a skirmish and a tower of valni map to promote ewan to shaman yesssssssssssssss
loving my team atm

man i'm a spaz

Chapter 13 isn't hard per se, it's just I overlook something once and the whole level is fucked

1st try - recruited Cormag (yess) but I left Lute open to being killed by one of his wyvern riders because i ended the turn too early (hurr durr)
2nd try - much better than the first try (gave Lute an elixir this time and was much more aggressive with charging the enemy and dealing with the reinforcements), but I miscalculated the number of tiles L'Arachel could move after rescuing Amelia (to prevent her from killing Cormag because she was in his range) and she was killed by Cormag (lol) so I had to reset which fucking sucked

now i'm onto my 3rd try and hopefully everything doesn't go to shit again

edit: 3rd try was a complete success, i managed to kill the boss right after pablo showed up, and i recruited cormag

now that i've got a knight's crest i need to get amelia to lv. 20 fast
tower of valni here i come

playing chapter 15 atm, holy shit this game is so good

now that ephriam has shown up i guess that means i'll need to play his path after this because i want to find out how he recruited knoll and the other dude without replaying the whole game

did i mention i love knoll

joshua being a prince was an unexpected but welcomed twist

What sucks about Ephraim's route is that you never learn the Joshua twist

Also you should have Joshua fight Caellach and Cormag fight Valter, the conversations are too good.

Raigh said:
Also you should have Joshua fight Caellach and Cormag fight Valter, the conversations are too good.
Ah, I was going to have Cormag fight Valter, but I didn't know Joshua could trigger a secret Convo with Caellach D:

I'm literally at the end of the map (the only unit left is Valter) but I didn't take Rennac or Colm into this chapter b/c I didn't know they could find hidden items until I googled Metis' tome after that house told me about it.

I definitely don't want to restart the chapter to get the items either so now i'm just stalling until they show up. i feel guilty about looking up their locations so i'm probably not going to use any of them but for completions sake i might as well grab 'em while i'm here

edit: oh lol as i typed this i got metis's tome on the first try lmao
edit2: and apparently i already found warp when I tried to kill Caellach, i did not know that

also I wanted to see what the game would do if i did this
WVW69ioO5ioZN8PTuj

lol

"your death will be slow and painful" - Cormag
proceeds to critical hit Valtar in one shot

lol
great chapter

i'm not sure if i wanna go back and do ephraim's story :S

I love Scorched Sand. And I feel bad that you missed Joshua and Caellach's conversation, it's really good, but at least Cormag and Valter is even better imo.

Also don't feel bad for looking up the item locations many FE fans do that.

About the house there is also one where a kid mentions how awesome Innes must be and he says the same thing when Innes visits the house.

edit:

http://imgur.com/a/yT7hF

Re: gba plays gba games (currently playing ~ The Sacred Stones - Ephraim's path)

Raigh said:
I love Scorched Sand. And I feel bad that you missed Joshua and Caellach's conversation, it's really good, but at least Cormag and Valter is even better imo.

Also don't feel bad for looking up the item locations many FE fans do that.
yeah, it's probably my favourite chapter so far

Raigh said:
About the house there is also one where a kid mentions how awesome Innes must be and he says the same thing when Innes visits the house.

edit:

http://imgur.com/a/yT7hF
lmao that's even funnier than the one i posted

the map increased in size so I assume those other locations are where Ephraim visited. i pretty much have to load up the other save file and go through Ephraim's path now

I got to rewatch the story about Lyon
which was kinda ominous coming off of what ephraim said
can't wait to see what happens

Although, starting from chapter 9 again having progressed 6 chapters down another route really emphasizes how far I've come. despite starting from chapter 9, I feel like I'm pretty much starting over with my units D:

Re: gba plays gba games (currently playing ~ The Sacred Stones - Ephraim's path)

ok so im up to chapter 15

MY EVERYTHING ;~;

The two major differences between Ephraim's path and Eirika's path are the difficulty (Ephraim's path is certainly harder) and who the game focuses on. In Eirika's path, your characters get a lot more story (especially in the case of L'Arachel, Joshua, Marisa, Tethys, Gerik and Ewan), while there is hardly any focus on the Grado soldiers (aside from Valter and Cormag). In Ephraim's path there's a much larger focus on the effect the war is actually having on Grado, while most of the other characters fall by the wayside (you never learn that Ewan is Tethys' brother, or that Joshua is royalty, and L'arachel's reveal was pretty anticlimactic but still f'in hilarious) You really do have to play both routes to get the full scope of the story, and boy is it fantastic.

I'm loving every single map in Ephraim's path, the ghost ship was actually pretty easy (I had chills picking the units because I had no idea what to expect.) But the dynamic nature of the map (and L'arachel's righteous quest speech lol) makes it so memorable. I had the most difficulty with guessel's map thanks to Cormag, but Ross fucking obliterated the boss with a Killer axe.

Though my honest favourite was Selena's map. What an exhilarating experience having to rush to the two villages, while still distracting Selena's Bolting with Ewan until I could officially charge into the centre of the map. AND THE STORY ;~;
God, I wanted to save Selena so badly but Ephraim had to kill her and now I feel horrible.

Grado castle looks like a huge challenge so I'm putting it off for now. I'm so glad I chose to play Ephraim's path now instead of after the game.

you're at father and son?

that chapter is HELL, you will hate status staves forever

everything went better than expected

Didn't get hit by a single status because I was tactful with how I placed my calvary units, and through sheer luck it actually worked. Someone opened the door, and I sent either Seth or Duessel up to kill the two Bishops. The Druids were much riskier to deal with, so I sent the unit with the most movement (Seth, again) to open the final door while the Druids were lured away (there was a brief scare with Amelia having a 25% chance of going Beserk but luckily it missed), then he charged 'em both. I was surprised at how dumb they were, I honestly expected the other Druid to beserk Seth because he was still in range after killing the first druid, but nothing.

Fun map, and much better than Eirika's alternative. I had L'arachel recruit the rouge dude this time and that convo was pretty funny. I wasted so many turns dragging him to the bottom and left edge of the map to get those chests. Honestly expected the reinforcements to be much harder to deal with.

Also I'm going to emphasise how glad I am for doing this path, Lyon's story is much better from Ephraim's perspective. Knoll <3

And since the next chapter is Scorched Sand (yay), I'm going to have to make a decision about whose save file I'm going to continue. I might stick with Ephraim's because I believe my units are stronger but we'll see.

The reason they didn't berserk Seth is because they go for people lowest on the deployment list (iirc?). I found that chapter hard because they went for my healers first and then started to berserk everyone else.

Raigh said:
The reason they didn't berserk Seth is because they go for people lowest on the deployment list (iirc?). I found that chapter hard because they went for my healers first and then started to berserk everyone else.
yeah i only had one restore staff and i was worried they'd hit my healer first, so i kept him relatively to the back until they were gone. i probably got lucky, one hit from that beserker staff and i would've been screwed

doing chapter 16 now. it seems that the layout is different for eirika's and ephraim's paths but i've decided to stick with ephraim because everyone i've been using is certainly much stronger

sadly though i forgot to steal the guiding ring from that one dark mage in scorched sand so i haven't been able to promote l'arachel in this run. i've got moulder as a bishop instead lol

fucking orson, gonna go get revenge brb

Don't worry, an enemy mage drops a Guiding Ring in Chapter 17. Also one of the villages in Chapter 15 had a Master Seal which can promote any unit other than Ephraim and Eirika.

Raigh said:
Don't worry, an enemy mage drops a Guiding Ring in Chapter 17. Also one of the villages in Chapter 15 had a Master Seal which can promote any unit other than Ephraim and Eirika.
yup, got both of em now

just gonna grind in the tower before starting chapter 18

everything is fast approaching endgame, i'm receiving sacred weapons from everywhere lol

god i wish awakening had better magic, every tome in this game is awesome.

wow this is it.

those last two maps were hell.
Chapter 18 - sent cormag up to destroy the western gorgon eggs and charged the east side with the rest of my units. only had one egg hatch but luckily cormag was able to kill the gorgon. never a fan of maps with lava tiles but this one was actually interesting with the eggs.

Chapter 19 - yeah i hit a stalemate on the first try. I didn't place colm/rennac in the right location at the start so it took way too many turns to get all of the chests, and by that time nearly every tile on the lower part of the map was occupied by a remnant. couldn't fight my way through so i reset.

second try, moulder/cormag saved the day. cormag got a brave spear and once i pilfered got all of the chests, moulder warped cormag right next to the boss, who proceeded to fucking slay him. used my calvary/general units to make two walls which prevented a lot of the reinforcements from blocking my way to the boss this time, so that also helped heaps. lute also used bolting to clean up a few other units.

gr8 map, got a light sword thing and the final two sacred weapons from it.

i assume chapter 20 is the last one. i'm so ready

Chapter 20 isn't the last chapter, there's one more after it.

Well, I just finished it. (I'd post a screenshot of the ending like I did with Superstar Saga, but the 3DS is a pain to use.)
edit:
WVW69io6L0gr_TLZMs

I wanna start by saying that this was only my second Fire Emblem game, and given that the other FE game I've played is Awakening, I can't really compare the two because they're both so different. That being said, there's a lot to be said about how fantastic the older FEs are.

Because Awakening's maps all possesed similar goals, I enjoyed the diversity and varying objectives and gimmicks of Sacred Stones' maps, and the enemies you fought on each map were cool (mostly because there was more of an emphasis on evil monsters than there was evil armies, and that led to me encountering some really awesome enemy designs like the Baels and Draco Zombies). In addition to that, the unique weapons/staves you could obtain in the game were fascinating. I loved attacks like Bolting and Eclipse, status staves were a pain to deal with but otherwise a great asset to my team when I actually had them, and the unique powers of the Sacred weapons really helped emphasize that your characters have become strong enough to weild them and pretty much save the world.

The units you could recruit were all wonderful characters. In particular, I loved L'arachel and her posse, Joshua, Amelia, Ewan, Duessel and Knoll, and every character certainly had their place. The story itself was alright.
i found it pretty hard to sympathise with Lyon towards the end, and the excessive flashbacks didn't really do much to change my feelings on him, but yeah, it was still sad. I found myself more upset at Selena's death than anything.

Chapter 20 and the things that followed were a doozy, but I didn't have to reset once so yay

In regards to the actual final boss, aside from that annoying name (I kinda laughed at 'Demon King, I will defeat you!', like I would've prefered they used his unpronounceable lovecraftian name thing instead but I get that it makes it easier to understand), the final boss was fucking awesome They did a fantastic job with his battle screen, as far as GBA graphics go. Felt amazing once I finally beat him.

The split story was my only issue, but at least I was able to play both paths w/o resetting the game. I mentioned how they differ a little earlier but I think I prefered Eirika's character interactions, but Ephraim's maps and backstory on Lyon. Gr8 story either way.

Any complaints I had about the game (difficulty, boring characters) towards the beginning were completely nonexistent towards the end. I loved every bit of Sacred Stones, and I'm looking forawrd to playing FE7 as my next Fire Emblem.

Before I move on to Metroid Fusion, I'll be completing Golden Sun at the request of Shoey and for the freedom of America. right now though, i need sleep

Re: gba plays gba games (currently playing ~ Golden Sun)

Sacred Stones is tied with Binding Blade for my second favourite FE game. While it is quite easy in comparison to most games in the series and a bit short, especially since FE7 has 30 chapters, it has a amazing cast of characters with a lot of personality, huge variety of enemies, good villains (Selena and Valter are great) and some really good maps (especially Phantom Ship, and Father and Son).

I really hope you enjoy FE7, it's even better imo. The beginning tutorial part with Lyn does drag on though, especially since you already played two FE games.

Raigh said:
Sacred Stones is tied with Binding Blade for my second favourite FE game. While it is quite easy in comparison to most games in the series and a bit short, especially since FE7 has 30 chapters, it has a amazing cast of characters with a lot of personality, huge variety of enemies, good villains (Selena and Valter are great) and some really good maps (especially Phantom Ship, and Father and Son).

I really hope you enjoy FE7, it's even better imo. The beginning tutorial part with Lyn does drag on though, especially since you already played two FE games.
One thing I forgot to mention was how awesome the animations for attacks and criticals were, they were really well done for the GBA. Looking forward to having similar animations and stuff when I play FE7, though yeah I'll keep that tutorial stuff in mind. Thank you for supporting me while I played it!

Shoey, I finally realised that the reason why I thought I was further in the game was because I relied on restore points to save instead of actually saving in-game, so I must've hard reset the game once and lost the restore point and hence a lot of progress.

I know I've played through this part of the game already, because I remember the cutscene where the rock breaks the ground in the lower mine, the fight with the Hydros statue, this Xian (name of the chinese town thing) lady telling me about Ivan's powers and I distinctly remember crossing a desert, and that's probably where I lost my save state.

Regardless, I'm playing through the game as is and I'll post thoughts as per normal. The only part of the story I remember is that we were trying to prevent these stones from being used to resurrect something (sound familiar lol) and that we were chasing some idiots because they stole them.

Zoombinis said:
It has something to do with the Chinese town with the special gym
Alright so I checked this place out and it doesn't seem to have anything that could progress the game.

However, once I reached the docks next to the town you visit after crossing the desert, I remembered that you had to battle a Kraken boss and defend the boat from enemies after boarding, so I figured that would progress the game, but the sailors are saying that they're waiting for a tour group and idk where they are????

I went pretty much around the whole map visiting all of the locations to see if I missed anything (found a few Djinn in secret areas discovered with Ivan's reveal power), but still, nothing. I've pretty much reached an impasse like you. ;~;

so i finally found the tour group. i went into the inn to heal my party after trying to explore the desert again and as i was leaving town they left for the docks. stupid.

also is colosso that place where i had to use a bunch of psynergies to progress through an obstacle course

just when i think i've found the point where i lost all of my progress, something else jogs my memory. man i can't wait until i reach the point where i can actually play something new :I

gotta say some of the puzzles in this game are quite contrived

couldn't work out how to get past the tornadoes in the second desert because using douse on them from a space away didn't work, but as it turns out you have to use douse on them while you're inside them and i just... wut

also i feel like im getting lucky with some of the quests, like had i not gone to visit the tolbi king after accepting his quest, i wouldn't have known about the cloak orb and i wouldn't have been able to go to lunpa to save Hammel, etc.

also i've been reminded how frustratingly repetitive the characters can be sometimes. ¨so we should do thing?¨
¨yes we should do thing¨
¨thing is in place¨
¨did you say thing was in place¨ ¨yes, thing is in place¨

Back