gba plays gba games (currently playing ~ Fire Emblem)

Re: gba plays gba games (eventually playing ~ Wario Land 4)

Threek said:
friendly reminder that mega man zero 4 hits the eshop tomorrow
Just gonna drop in and say that ones been on the PAL eshop for a long time by now.

bumpppp

Welp I just started. yay for more platformer goodness

having played wario land 3 i kinda know what to expect in terms of gameplay, however the graphics are fantastic and give it that real edge (wl3 was for the most part kinda ugly tbh)

also you can really see the similarities between this game and Mega Microgames in regards to music and voice clips, makes me wonder why they went the spin-off route.

wario's animations are the best btw

ok wow a boss so early
and three minigames (damn now i can kinda see why they went the microgame route, these wouldn't be out of place in ware with their weird graphics/music lol)

i like how you can buy weapons to reduce the boss' health before battle, and of course free smiles

also after that i decided to go the yellow route first?
the toy box level was alright. i had a bit of trouble escaping tho but still made it out with 2 minutes

yup this game is pretty cool so far

you're starting with the worst route first (imo)

rip

Gamefreak75 said:

and there you have it, gba is going to die (that is, according to gamefreak)

Gamefreak75 said:
you're starting with the worst route first (imo)

rip
oh boy

the ending for that second level with the roulettes tho, i was like 'but what do i need to roll to escape' until i saw the goal at the end

How To Have A Heart Attack In One Easy Step

also hehehehehe 'doodle woods' hehehehehehe

Re: gba plays gba games (currently playing ~ Wario Land 4)

play palm tree paradise to hear the best song

welp after a bit of a splet break I'm up to the boss, having made sure to collect all of the CDs and crystal shard things as I go

speaking of which, damn that sound test is the best
listen to this shit

Threek said:
play palm tree paradise to hear the best song
It's amazing.
That Karaoke on that song is such a nice reward. I don't even care if it's in Japanese.

Also yes GBAToad the music in this game is god-tier. My favorite song is in the Sapphire Passage, but save that for last cause it's the best.

DragonFreak said:
My favorite song is in the Sapphire Passage, but save that for last cause it's the best.
alrighty then

I think I'll just go clockwise from here then, so Yellow, Red, Green, Blue then the middle I assume, because I just beat Aerodent (whose name pun i just got) and one of the corners of the floor in the middle lit up. stupid boss tbh but at least I beat him (and I bought the visorman because it looked cool)

also if the yellow route was supposedly the worst one then I'm excited for the rest because that wasn't too bad, I actually liked the toy box/games theme. If i had to rank the levels I'd go Domino Row > The Big Board > Doodle Woods > Toy Block Tower.
It was neat having to race dominos in DR, not to mention it was easy af, so it's easily my favourite. Same with The Big Board, the gimmick was neat. Doodle Woods sucked with the shitty art student lakitu wannabe throwing his drawings but at least it looked good (I liked having the sharpened pencils as obstacles), Toy Block Tower honestly had nothing special/memorable in it compared to the other levels tho so it's probably my least favourite.

Ruby passage next

stupid boss tbh but at least I beat him
Yeah he's the worst boss in the game mostly because he made me so freaking salty while trying to beat him in Super Hard Mode in less than a minute.

Also yeah Yellow passage is probably the weakest. Not saying the level are bad by any means, but they pretty gimmicky. I've said before that because of the, Yellow would be your favorite or least passage.

Also wow you are actually going through the game from my least favorite passage to my favorite. Amazing.

ruby passage complete, also got all the cds

the levels were alright, none of them were particularly memorable aside from maybe 40 Below Fridge, only because it gave me the strongest Metroid Fusion vibes and as far as ice levels go it wasn't too bad. On the other hand, Pinball Zone was horrible, the music was bluh and the gimmick wasn't fun. Easily my least favourite level of the lot so far, but in terms of each other:

40 Below Fridge > The Curious Factory > The Toxic Landfill > Pinball Zone

also, enjoyable bosses so far: 0/2. the first half of cuckoo condor was alright but i could honestly do without exploding birds and that condor constantly shitting eggs in my face

music teim:

soft shell is the best b/c it also plays in the bonus rooms

anyway emerald passage next

wowee that was great. i assume it's because emerald passage is actually the first passage you're meant to do, but those levels were totes easy, especially Palm Tree Paradise because it was pretty much bare.

also Palm Tree Paradise really does have the best song listen nao
HELLO THERE

also i LOVED monsoon jungle. rainy jungle levels are c00l
Monsoon Jungle > Palm Tree Paradise > Wildflower Fields (BEEEEES) > Mystic Lake (shit)

Cractus is honestly the best boss i've faced so far. had a predictable pattern and hardly any bullshit (aside from some occasions where his head hitbox would vanish and i'd plummet into his leaf-spike-arm-things but those were few and far between), plus zombie wario is best wario

thanks to the placement of the CDs in the sound test i believe that Sapphire passage is meant to be the last one, so i'm expecting the hardest levels yet. should be fun lol

:keyzer: <- glad this is a thing

Ugh how could you like 40 Before Fridge? That level sucked, imo. Toxic Landfill is the superior level.

Music wise: Toxic Landfill > Crescent Moon Village > Curious Factory > the rest

Yeah Cractus is a really good boss, but that hitbox is terrible.

Also yeah should have done Emerald passage first so you can begin the game with an AMAZING SONG.

Also prepare for a lot of Zombie Wario.

Gamefreak75 said:
Ugh how could you like 40 Before Fridge? That level sucked, imo. Toxic Landfill is the superior level.
toxic landfill's music is the only thing it has going for it. otherwise it's TRASH

40 Below Fridge has ICE
and SNOW
and ICE

it's cool

DragonFreak said:
Also yeah should have done Emerald passage first so you can begin the game with an AMAZING SONG.
HELLO THERE

DragonFreak said:
Also prepare for a lot of Zombie Wario.
yay~

Re: gba plays gba games (currently playing ~ Wario Land 4: HELLO THERE edition)

womp cleared Crescent Moon Village and Arabian Night

i enjoyed the city-themed courses in WL3 so its nice to see they've continued that theme here
the ghost pirate that steals keyzer from you in Crescent Moon Village can fuck right off

ah that was a fun passage

i can't really pick a favourite from those levels b/c they were all great. fiery cavern felt a bit out of place seeing as the other 3 levels were city-themed, but i liked its gimmick anyway. that boss was ugly af tho (in fact all of the bosses have been super ugly)

now it's golden pyramid time ho boy

DragonFreak said:
It's a smooth downhill path from here.
no kidding

WVW69iyUzyMRY1MNE2
WVW69iyU29IqzAmky7
WVW69iyU1wgMmuyEZE

Well, that was bloody fantastic.

With only 16 levels and 6 bosses the game is rather short, but each of those levels is completely unique and fun to play. There was never a level I truly disliked (even Pinball Zone wasn't that bad), but there were clearly some that were better than others, my favourites being Domino Row, Monsoon Jungle and Crescent Village. What makes each level memorable in its own right however is the unique backgrounds and gimmicks associated with each one. I actually loved having to escape the level once you hit the Frog Timer, it was a great rush. The only guaranteed repetitiveness came from running around the level trying to complete the treasure hunt itself, but might I add it's a huge step up from Wario Land 3 in that regard because there's no progressive unlocking of powers and no revisiting a level unless you happened to miss a collectible. Speaking of Wario's powers, I loved every one of them. Fire Wario and Zombie Wario were probably my favourites because they're hilarious.

Sadly, the game does have a drawback. It turns out that collecting treasure is completely pointless in the end because afaik its only function is to be spent on minigames, the prizes from which can then be used to purchase items from the shop, which can then be used to weaken the boss you need to face. I found it much less tedious to just skip the minigames and shop entirely after the first boss because they were pretty painful to play, and the bosses weren't too hard in most cases. Making the minigames optional was also a huge plus, because that effing mini-golf game in WL3 was ridiculous. I actually thought collecting treasure would serve some other purpose at the end of the game but oh well. That's probably my only complaint however, in all cases I had fun hunting down those ridiculous sound test CDs, plus I did get a bit of satisfaction from solving those bonus room puzzles and getting over 10000g in each level.

Stellar game and I'm so glad DF convinced me to play it.

now post best wario land 4 music

Yeah~ You probably don't like it as much as me tho. Nostalgia is probably a big factor. But glad you liked it overall.

Sadly, the game does have a drawback. It turns out that collecting treasure is completely pointless in the end because afaik its only function is to be spent on minigames
Wrong actually. If you get 10K coins in each level plus all the CDs, (and maybe all the treasure chests from all the bosses), you unlock the 100% completion reward that I put in spoilers above.

Also I dare you to 100% Super Hard mode. Only the most hardcore Wario fans would ever stand that BS mode. I did it. Never want to do it again lol.

well that's nice to know, i noticed every time i cleared a course with 10000g i got a gold crown, so it makes sense you'd unlock something from clearing every level like that

still, accumulating all of this gold with nothing except minigames to spend it on seems like a bit of a waste,
especially considering that the only important items that affect the ending are the treasure chests you get from clearing each boss.

still an awesome game anyways tho

Welp, I've started advance wars.
Nell seems nice

cleared the first couple of tutorials with A ranking, the only story we have so far is that the blue moon nation has invaded the orange star nation and because olaf is an idiot nell decides to train me to be this games tactician CO by pitting me against his forces in areas they've occupied

the similarities between it and FE are pretty noticeable but then again so are the differences

intsys gonna intsys pretty much

Back