RUMOR: Next Mario & Sonic game NOT a Sports Title

SonicMario

Star Spirit
This is only a rumor. A member of 4chan (The rumor probably already lost alot of crediibilty by mentioning this site) named Wento the Salesman who claims to be working under Sega. The last leak he made was that the next game after Unleashed would have similar levels made to the Day stages of the game. That's turning out to be true with Sonic Colors right about now

“Without giving anything away…this time, it’s not a sports game. It’s turning out quite well. I think some of you may be a little surprised.”

This is the only thing he stated on the matter. The question is... what will it be?

The platformer we always dreamed of?

(Probably unlikely) Perhaps a Sonic and Mario fighter game?

(Even more unlikely) An RPG together?

(We sure damn hope not) A mini-game collection ala Mario Party?

etc?

Probably a combination of "normal" Sonic and Mario games. By normal, I mean like collecting rings/coins, getting to a flag/gate thing, etc.

I hope this is true.

Well, either way, I won't be getting my hopes up, especially if it's in any way similar to Mario Party.

I heard you say this on chat.

Could this be...SONIC AND MARIO SHUFFLE?

Just kidding, I hope it's a platformer.

I hope it's not a platformer. It would be like bestiality, let's just leave the two different worlds alone. Fighter is not likely, I think it will be like a party game, given the lack of intention from Nintendo to make Mario Party 9 any time soon.

Zoycite said:
Well, either way, I won't be getting my hopes up, especially if it's in any way similar to Mario Party.

Why do people dislike this idea so much? A new Mario Party with Sonic people on it would be damn awesome, not to mention easier to make than adapting both series of platforming into one single homogenic gameplay.

And by "Mario Party" I mean as in boards, minigames, competitions, using items/orbs/whatever, earning stars/emblems, collecting coins/rings, etc

It would rule even more if they manage to fix what made MP8 and DS less good than the others (luck abuse, pointless bonus stars, lack of customization options, broken items, generic filler characters in MP8, etc)

Easmo said:
Zoycite said:

Why do people dislike this idea so much
He just hates Mario Party. For some really weird reason.

Herr Shyguy said:
Easmo said:
Zoycite said:

Why do people dislike this idea so much
He just hates Mario Party. For some really weird reason.
I just didn't think it was fun to play. What's so weird about that?

I never chose the Sonic characters in Mario & Sonic @ Winter games, so I probably won't be interested (unless it at least as Toad, Baby Luigi, or Toadette playable)

Assuming the rumor is true that the next one isn't sports related this is my list of what I want most to what I want least

1. Platformer (I personally think combining the elements of Sonic and Mario games could work in some respect. Like maybe half the game is more fitting for Mario while the other is for Sonic though if you come back with the other character you can find more secrets)

2. Fighting Game (Yes yes I know Sonic and Mario are technially already punching eachother in Brawl. But perhaps a different battle system or at least something similar to Sonic Battle I think wouldn't be too bad. Besides Knuckles should have his fair share of punches on the Mario characters as well, and Bowser smashing some minor/annoying Sonic characters would gain some laughs)

3. RPG (Mario had worked well as an RPG character, Sonic's only been in a half-decent one. But have Mario and Sonic combo attacks would be just about as sweet as Mario and Luigi attacks [Assuming Nintendo helps out with the programming with that, Sonic Chronicles just got unfun after a while even if that was BioWare that made it and not Sega])

4. Racing (As much as now that I think about it that this is the likely category if the game is not a Minigame-collection or a Sports game I still think I'd be a little disappointed. It's just be like combining Mario Kart and Sega All-Stars Racing. And I think it's been a little too soon for yet another Racing game [Because remember that Sega is making the Mario and Sonic series, Nintendo has only allowed them to use their characters and supervise the games])

5. Some surprise Genre that we aren't expecting

6. Party game/Minigame-collection (Seriously, I'll still try the game but it's a no buy if it's another Party game. Unless it turns out to have a good reception similar to the original Mario party games on the N64)

Doesn't racing count as a sport?

Technically it might be a sport but game genres seem to split those I think. And Racing isn't exactly a points thing except for those games that give you those points for like multiple races until the last race where the winner is the one with the most overall points.

A racing game could be a possibility considering how well that new Sonic and Sega racing game did (also the fact that Mario characters can also drive doesn't make the case any better). A party type of game is also another possibility but seeing an adventure type of game would also be pretty interesting (though I don't think that the two companies would go that deep).

Well, Sonic hasn't had a party game in ten years, so eh.

Back