Which game do you prefer?

• Paper Mario

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Thousand-Year Door

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters

ralphfan

Thank you based god
Which game do you prefer and why? I prefer Thousand-Year Door because of the numerous side quests. I also like sidekicks with HP. In the original game, the first few battles didn't even have action commands! The only drawback to Thousand-Year Door is that the game is too easy until the final fight.

You know, I was thinking about making a poll with just these two games myself, but you beat me to it. Anyway, as or me, I think the first Paper Mario is awesome, but Thousand-Year Door definitely has it out-classed. It had better visuals, an improved battle system, a better storyline, and more replay value.

Oh, the graphics were way better in TTYD, but that's because it was on a more advanced console.

True, but it was more than just the graphics that made it better, as I listed in my above post.

Also, Thousand-Year Door had much better and more effective Special Attacks than the first one.

It's hard to say. Both games had extraordinarily good songs, particularly the boss themes.

Also, I know I've said this several times before, but Grodus > Bowser.

On so many levels.

Sharks Territory said:
Grubbs and Crump are hilarious.
Yeah, that's for sure.

"Hyuk hyuk hyuk hyuk hyuk! How do ya like ma machine? Purdy dang nice, huh? Yep, I've been suckin' powa from the fightas wit' this baby. SLUUUUUURRRRRP! Yer darn tootin'! 'N' ya know why? 'Cause it keeps ma bod forevah young, son!"

"One, two, a DOZEN!!! Get ready for a whole new way to experience pain, you junior varsity losers!"

Herr Shyguy said:
You wish bro.
Alright, I'll admit. Bowser isn't that bad of a villain. Stealing the Star Rod and imprisoning the Star Spirits was probably the best plan that Bowser's ever come up with, period. However, Bowser's motives usually pale in comparison to that of other villains. Unlike Grodus, Bowser isn't psychotic or evil enough to try destroying the world. Sure, Bowser's still after world domination and and everything, but kidnapping Peach because of his crush on her is nothing compared to trying to use her as a vessel for an ancient demon's spirit, whose powers are capable of destroying the world.

Also, there's one other thing I feel the need to point out. Unlike Bowser, who sat there and whined after he was beaten, Grodus wasn't ready to give up just yet. He got right back on his feet and took control of the situation. Using Peach as a shield and tourting Mario and his partners with lightning magic (while laughing maniacally)... That scene alone has proven that Grodus is far more sinister and evil than Bowser has been, or ever will be, as that's something he'd NEVER do, under ANY circumstances.

I will admit that Grodus is a bit more evil than Bowser, but you could replace him with an evil brick that says "GWAHAHA" every so often and there wouldn't be a big difference. He doesn't have any decent motives or character traits besides being pointlessly evil.

Also Bowser didn't sit around and whine when he got beaten, he flew away to the top of Peach's castle and made himself fucking invincible.

And he was holding Peach hostage too. She just got saved and did something useful for once.

Besides, Bowser fucked up the entire world just to get what he wanted. I think that beats hitting Mario with some lightning.

Herr Shyguy said:
Besides, Bowser fucked up the entire world just to get what he wanted. I think that beats hitting Mario with some lightning.
True. That's better than just zapping him with lightning, yes, but it doesn't beat trying to use the Shadow Queen's power to destroy the world, which would have resulted in millions of people getting killed.

Herr Shyguy said:
Also Bowser didn't sit around and whine when he got beaten, he flew away to the top of Peach's castle and made himself fucking invincible.
I wasn't talking about the first round of their battle. The screenshot that I linked to happened after the final phase of that battle.

Herr Shyguy said:
He doesn't have any decent motives or character traits besides being pointlessly evil.
Other than what was established in Yoshi's Island, Bowser was never given much of a backstory either. All that game really revealed about him, is that he's been trying to conquer the world ever since he was a baby, and that was about it.

Both of them are really good and both have reasons people may want to prefer one over the other

In total difficulty Paper Mario is the hardest game of the series on a 2nd run through of the game I played through both and SPM. PM1 took the longest to beat and I actually died a few times playing again. PM2 was in the middle where I only died twice and was able to finish it in less then a week. SPM on a 2nd play through was WAY too easy. When you know what to do in all 3 it becomes apparent that the first Paper Mario was the most difficult. If your a person that likes Difficulty, the Badassness of Bowser in this game, and of course the different characters from the original you'll like PM1 more

Though you can't really count out PM2. PM2 is easier in difficulty to Paper Mario. The only real difficult fight that takes a sharp spike in difficulty is the Shadow Queen fight. PM2 however also had alot more fun moments. You had Glitzville, and Twilight town, plus all those partner abilities. The personalities also became more fleshed out out in the 2nd one. I think overall, PM2 had the best quality, entertainment, and gameplay of the two. Even if the only thing left after beating the story is mostly those troubles and we can't forget the Pit of 100 Trials.

Perhaps PM1 would of benefitted more if it allowed you to do sidequests after the game is over but it doesn't because it doesn't do any saves after beating Bowser so trying to go to the file again just means having to face Bowser again. In replay value PM2 is the better game because of this because as soon as you go for Bowser's Castle you can't finish up your sidequests.

Overall I find PM2 the better game but I think their about equal. Both games are a ton better then Super Paper Mario. I don't hate Super Paper Mario but the RPG ones just overshadow that one with just about everything. If SPM was a different game of it's own it still wouldn't be a bad game though as it's part of the PM series it's just way overshadowed by the previous 2 games and maybe soon the 3DS one. Paper Mario had less sidequests but many were pretty hard (Like Kent C. Koopa and the Dojo Master for example) or took quite a while (Getting all the letters in the game for Parakarry and giving them to all the different people). PM2 had alot more sidequests with some for the most part being short and easy as long as you have those blue tubes (PM1 had those too but they were all spread around the sewers) the most difficult one being the Pit of 100 trials and the longest and quite annoying is chasing General White AGAIN like you had to do in the story.

Zoycite said:
Herr Shyguy said:
I wasn't talking about the first round of their battle. The screenshot that I linked to happened after the final phase of that battle.
That doesn't change the fact that your statement was horribly wrong. Bowser did break down, but only after fighting you two times, the second time invincible. I think he has the right to be a little worn down after that.

Zoycite said:
Herr Shyguy said:
He doesn't have any decent motives or character traits besides being pointlessly evil.
Other than what was established in Yoshi's Island, Bowser was never given much of a backstory either. All that game really revealed about him, is that he's been trying to conquer the world ever since he was a baby, and that was about it.
The conflict in Paper Mario 1 is first and foremost about Mario and Bowser's rivalry, which does have a lot of history behind it. He wants to beat Mario once and for all, consequences be damned. Grodus, on the other hand, comes out of nowhere and wants to destroy the world for no reason other than that he's just stupidly evil.

I see where you're coming from, but can't the "came out of nowhere" argument be applied to just about any other villain in the series, including Cackletta, whom you, yourself, said that you like better than Bowser? In any case, though, I never use backstories to determine what makes a good villain and what doesn't. I always look at their personality traits, their level of intelligence, how well-thought-out their world domination plans are, or what lengths they went through to achieve those goals.

Cackletta is a bit of a fluke. I have no idea why I like her either.

Parakarrygun88 said:
Paper Mario N64... I only own this one.

Me too, but I don't know why I never had the Thousand Year Door.

Back