whats your pokemon party

Poppy Bro Sr. said:
I'd replace Psychic with Hidden Power Grass, so you're covered for mons like Lanturn and Quagsire.

Unless you are on a simulator, it's impossible to get a good Hidden Power.

Poppy Bro Sr. said:
I'd replace Psychic with Hidden Power Grass, so you're covered for mons like Lanturn and Quagsire.

solar beam would be a better option then if the sun is out as its actually reliable in the sun and does more damage.

Per what Crystal stated. SolarBeam is actually quite good when utilized on Sunny Day teams, and it can pack a bigger punch than a Grass-type Hidden Power.

Cirdec said:
Poppy Bro Sr. said:

Unless you are on a simulator, it's impossible to get a good Hidden Power.

Alternatively, there's PokeGen as well.

speaking of hidden power.

Do the ivs effect the damage hidden power does as well as the type?

I always thought it affected type but i kept noticing the description talking about intensity, so yeah.

Crystal said:
speaking of hidden power.

Do the ivs effect the damage hidden power does as well as the type?

I always thought it affected type but i kept noticing the description talking about intensity, so yeah.

Indeed.

IVs affect Hidden Power's typing, and its base power, which is why having almost perfect IVs for all stats (30 and 31 are strongly recommended) is mandatory for making Hidden Power an effective move.

However, because Hidden Power is a special attack, only the special sweepers can get some use out of that move.

I think Hidden Power sucks. I mean, it's not even that strong, even with perfect IVs. The strongest it can get is 70. There are way better moves. I think they should change that and make Hidden Power always have 70 of base power.

I beg to differ, since if Hidden Power is given the proper typing, it can potentially lead to a surprise element for any player. For instance, my Garchomp sure got hit hard by a Volcarona who had an Ice-type Hidden Power; it would've been 1-hit KO'd if Focus Sash wasn't applied.

While it's true that Hidden Power isn't the greatest move to use, some Pokemon may need the move for extra type coverage if their special movepool is very shallow.

many eeveelutions need this for example.

especialy jolteon and espeon, while they have great offensive stats they lack good coverage due to their attacks being so limited as both have trouble with steel types, especially if they resist or immune to their main stab. Also Vaporeon is kinda reliant on it as well as if its a more offensive approach, it will need something to deal with water types.

Liligant is also another example, having good potential as a special sweeper, especially with quiver dance. As liligants special movepool literally consists of just grass moves, with the exception of dream eater, which isnt very useful, it needs to rely on hidden power fire/fighting/rock.

Personally though I absolutely hate hidden power, as the only reliable way to make it good is through the use of pokegen, and while it can be useful, base 70 power can be a bit lackluster in some situations, and i generally avoid pokemon that need to rely on it or sets that need to rely on it.

Well there is more to Lilligant than just utilizing its Own Tempo ability, and Petal Dance. It can also take advantage of its Chlorophyll ability by using Entrainment to give its teammates that ability; that can be quite handy for any team that utilizes Sunny Day. Of course, Leavanny can perform that strategy as well.

It should also be noted that in the double and triple battles, you do not have any control over which Pokemon will get hit by Petal Dance. SolarBeam does not have that flaw, but it does need intense sunlight or the Power Herb to be effective.

Giga drain while weaker than petal dance and solar beam, can still be pretty dang useful.

It has passable power and heals its user, giving liligant some form of recovery, which can help it against pokemon with priority moves or if it lacks sleep powder(or had used sleep talk while it was setting up quiver dance).

Now that I think about, Liligant with hidden power, is actually a very good special attacker, even if it does have to rely on an rather irritating move.

I seem to be having fascinations with grass types recently.

Today I started a new HeartGold save file. I'm in Azalea and my current team is:

Blaze the Quilava
Batman the Zubat
Blitz the Flaaffy

It's also a coincidence that all the names start with B.

only possible way it could be harder if he started out with chikorita.

Since the other two starters are pretty powerful.

The first two Johto Gym Leaders use types that have the advantage against the Grass-type, which is pretty much why Cyndaquil and Totodile are the easier starters to use.

MnSG said:
The first two Johto Gym Leaders use types that have the advantage against the Grass-type, which is pretty much why Cyndaquil and Totodile are the easier starters to use.

Not to mention that mostly all of Morty's Pokémon are part Poison-type, which resist the Grass type, Jasmine's Pokémon are Steel-type, who also resist Grass, Pryce's Pokémon are Ice-type, which kill Grass-types easily and then it's Clair's turn, whose Dragon Pokémon are also resistant to Grass. And, if it weren't enough, Chikorita's movepool sucks. So yeah, basically Chikorita is the worst starter ever, she sucks and nobody should ever choose her.

i think the totodile line is really the only johto starter i even like.

Cyndiquill line just seemed to copy charizards stats and not have the flying type, and i think even they share a similar movepool.

Totodile line on the other hand was pretty interesting, wasnt that useful when gsc first came out due to water being a special type but in 4th gen i used him and really liked him. Plus dragon dance is so useful for him, even if doesnt make his speed top notch, its still enough to matter and boosting his attack to such a good level is always nice.

I got myself a Meloetta after stopping by at my local GameStop today. It is quite interesting how its signature move can affect its form, which does make you have to determine how you want Meloetta to work out.

Blaze the Quilava
Batman the Golbat
ShadowBolt the Flaafy
Executor the Exeggutor
Tyrant the Magikarp

This is my plan for the future.
9xKLsdD.png

GalacticPetey said:
Blaze the Quilava
Batman the Golbat
ShadowBolt the Flaafy
Executor the Exeggutor
Tyrant the Magikarp

This is my plan for the future.
9xKLsdD.png

Good, but three Flying types... You'll be easy prey for Ice-types!

Gyarados resists Ice with Water and is only neutral towards Ice, so that's not accurate... Exeggutor is still weak to ice though.

Being weak to one type isn't really much of a problem as long as you have one or two solid resists, but Typhlosion is not a good resist. Honestly. He's pretty wimpy.

I would advise cramming a Steel-type in there somewhere if possible, maybe in the place of Ampharos or Crobat? Steel grants you resists to practically everything.

Then again if you don't really care about defense then you shouldn't worry about this.

It's the same with Electric. Crobat and Gyarados (especially Gyarados) will suffer with Electric attacks, while Dragonite will be able to resist it. Here is my HeartGold team, by the way:

Feraligatr Lv. 70
Male @Mystic Water Torrent
-Surf (I know, it's Special and not Physical, but I needed someone to have it)
-Crunch
-Ice Fang
-Cut (-.-)

Ampharos Lv. 70
Female @Magnet Static
-Thunderbolt
-Power Gem
-Signal Beam
-Strength

Alakazam Lv. 70
Male @TwistedSpoon Synchronize
-Psychic
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Recover

Magmortar Lv. 70
Male @Charcoal Flame Body
-Flamethrower
-Thunderbolt
-Psychic
-Focus Blast

Gengar Lv. 70
Male @Black Sludge Levitate
-Shadow Ball
-Thunderbolt
-Hypnosis
-Dream Eater

Dragonite Lv. 70
Male @Leftovers Inner Focus
-Outrage
-Fly
-Waterfall
-Thunder Wave

And I switch whoever I need to switch according to the challenge with one of the following Pokémon:

Mamoswine Lv. 70
Male @NeverMeltIce Oblivious
-Ice Shard
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Giga Impact

Tyranitar Lv. 70
Male @Lum Berry Sand Stream
-Stone Edge
-Crunch
-Earthquake
-Aerial Ace