What does "1 star ranking" mean?

I know, it should be obvious, right? But I'm not sure what 1 star ranking means. If I want to unlock Baby Daisy in MKW, I need 1 star ranking for each of the 50cc Grand Prix races. Does that mean I need to have won (1st place) in each of them, not just placing in the top 3?

Thanks!!

You get ranked based on your times for each course (I think).

The ranking go D, C, B, A, star, two star, three star, or something like that.

There's a rank worse than D, E.

It involves your time. It may also involve your points, but I think it's just time.

Yeah, it depends on your overall rank. As long as your rank at the end of each cup was 1 star or higher, you'll unlock Baby Daisy.

Star Rank depends not only on time or points, but your driving performance. For instance, that Shell Cup. No matter how many times I try completing it (even in 50cc), I earn 2 stars. But, when I do more tricks on that cup, I get 3 stars. Hitting a wall, falling off, getting hit by a stage obstacle, all of that jazz contributes to your star ranking. If you spend a majority if the time in 2nd place, because the computer beat you up with items, chances are, you're not going to get a 3 star rank, even when you achieve a good time at the very end of the race

Yeah, I thought it didn't just base around time. I've completed a cup in 3rd place and still gotten a 1-star rank.

BabyLuigiOnFire said:
Star Rank depends not only on time or points, but your driving performance. For instance, that Shell Cup. No matter how many times I try completing it (even in 50cc), I earn 2 stars. But, when I do more tricks on that cup, I get 3 stars. Hitting a wall, falling off, getting hit by a stage obstacle, all of that jazz contributes to your star ranking. If you spend a majority if the time in 2nd place, because the computer beat you up with items, chances are, you're not going to get a 3 star rank, even when you achieve a good time at the very end of the race
So basically more luck than anything.

Fassad said:
BabyLuigiOnFire said:
So basically more luck than anything.
And skill.

Back