Mario RPG Antagonists poll

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
I didn't seen a topci regarding the results of that poll so I made one. Personally, I'm ashamed in anyone who voted Dark Star/Dark Bowser. That thing is literally the downfall of Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. No proper backstory, no motivation behind its actions, no freaking reason to destroy everything. No. Bloody. POINT!

...Except for that kick-ass final battle, which I suppose is why 19% of the voters voted for him, but still, he's nowhere near as interesting as Dimentio or Fawful (who is leading in that poll last time I checked, but still). Hell, even antagonists as generic as Sir Grodus and Cackletta are more interesting than it!

BTW, I say Grodus and Cackletta are generic because all they want is power, but they're still interesting characters. Grodus is calm, calculated, and cruel, and occasional breaks into maniacal laughter when he thinks about his goal. As for Cackletta, anyone with an assistant like Fawful and capable of replacing someone's voice with explosive dialogue is automatically interesting in my book.

Another honorable mention I'd like to add: Smithy. Again, power-hungry villain, but the weapon theme is a nice touch, and his initial appearance is relatively difference form anything else I've seen to make him all the more interesting.

Anyway, I voted for Dimentio. My reasons should be obvious. Anyone like to talk about who they voted for or what they think of the results so far?

Smashgoom202 said:
I didn't seen a topci regarding the results of that poll so I made one. Personally, I'm ashamed in anyone who voted Dark Star/Dark Bowser. That thing is literally the downfall of Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. No proper backstory, no motivation behind its actions, no freaking reason to destroy everything. No. Bloody. POINT!
LOL, are you serious? Dark Star was the coolest thing ever. Too bad I voted for him though. Oh darn.
YOu should've heard its backstory if you paid attention to the game. Oh I'm sorry, does Bowser have a reason to destroy everything. Does Smithy? Does Grodus?

I have a question, but why are the Princess Shroobs separate? Shouldn't they be together?

Fassad said:
Smashgoom202 said:
LOL, are you serious? Dark Star was the coolest thing ever. Too bad I voted for him though. Oh darn.
YOu should've heard its backstory if you paid attention to the game. Oh I'm sorry, does Bowser have a reason to destroy everything. Does Smithy? Does Grodus?
Oh yeah, I guess it's backstory was so uninteresting and so forgettable that it slipped my mind.

So what, they found it in a ditch somewhere? That's creative. :rolleyes: And I don't recall them explaining where it's from exactly or why it does what it does. Only that it's incredibly EVIL! OoOoOoOoO!

Smashgoom202 said:
Fassad said:
Smashgoom202 said:
Oh yeah, I guess it's backstory was so uninteresting and so forgettable that it slipped my mind.

So what, they found it in a ditch somewhere? That's creative. :rolleyes: And I don't recall them explaining where it's from exactly or why it does what it does. Only that it's incredibly EVIL! OoOoOoOoO!
Wow, yeah, and Cackletta totally had a backstory. And Grodus totally had a backstory. And Smithy totally had a backstory. :roll:

Smashgoom202 said:

I'm pretty sure that it was the same case with the Shadow Queen. Just like Dark Bowser, she was hardly given a backstory, either. It was never revealed where she came from or why she wanted to destroy/take over the world. The only thing that was stated, was that she threw the world into the depths of terror, and got sealed up by the four heroes, but I don't see you complaining about that.

Fassad said:
Smashgoom202 said:
Fassad said:
Smashgoom202 said:

Wow, yeah, and Cackletta totally had a backstory. And Grodus totally had a backstory. And Smithy totally had a backstory. :roll:
They didn't need ones, because they had personality!

Also, regarding the Shadow Queen, she was given slightly more backstory than the Dark Star. Apparently she was a demonic queen who ruled for a time using the power of her pet dragons and the Crystal Stars. She was defeated by four heroes and sealed away. When the seal was broken and when she was given a new body, she decided to regain her control and cast the world in darkness.

Again, not much, but still there. As far as I'm concerned, power-hungry fiends are more interesting than people who want to destroy things for no apparent reason other than to be EVIL! OoOoOoOoO!

How didn't Dark Bowser have a personality? Although he didn't have a whole lot of dialogue, he was still shown to be a very deranged and psychotic villain, which is far more evil than the real Bowser.

Enker said:
How didn't Dark Bowser have a personality? Although he didn't have a whole lot of dialogue, he was still shown to be a very deranged and psychotic villain, which is far more evil than the real Bowser.
Deranged? Psychotic? All I heard was "Blah blah blah, I'm going to destroy everything, blah blah blah". Which is why I fully supported Bowser when he kicked his phony-baloney butt!

Well, the fact that he craves destruction so much, is what makes him a psychopath.

To me, the Dark Star is more of an object than an actual character. Fawful wants to to gain its powers but Bowser stopped him from getting all of it. Then the Dark Star went inside Bowser and took some of his DNA. That's when it started to talk, right?

So, it's like, if it didn't have Bowser's DNA, it would just be a ball of evil, am I right?

Yeah, something like that, but it was still a sentient being even before gathering Bowser's DNA. It was never explained why the Dark Star couldn't speak until then.

You know what put Cackletta above other Mario villains in my eyes? The fact that they actually killed her off halfway through the game.

Deranged? Psychotic? All I heard was "Blah blah blah, I'm going to destroy everything, blah blah blah".

Unlike all the other RPG villains.

but they're still interesting characters.

I can't comment on Cackletta but I can't see how Grodus could be considered an interesting character outside of Mario's standards. He has no backstory, motives beyond "To take over the world!" or any interesting character moment. He's a complete non-entity through the whole game, spouting dialogue and acting only when the plot call for it. The most unique thing about him is that he cough.

King Porky said:
You know what put Cackletta above other Mario villains in my eyes? The fact that they actually killed her off halfway through the game.
I agree with this.

Glowsquid said:
Deranged? Psychotic? All I heard was "Blah blah blah, I'm going to destroy everything, blah blah blah".

Unlike all the other RPG villains.

but they're still interesting characters.

I can't comment on Cackletta but I can't see how Grodus could be considered an interesting character outside of Mario's standards. He has no backstory, motives beyond "To take over the world!" or any interesting character moment. He's a complete non-entity through the whole game, spouting dialogue and acting only when the plot call for it. The most unique thing about him is that he cough.
Okay, yeah, Grodus is VERY generic, I just said that on the off chance that there are Grodus fans out there. Either way, though, I still like find Grodus more interesting that the Dark Star.

Rachel said:
King Porky said:
I agree with this.
Yeah, that did make her awesome.

That reminds me. Has anyone mentioned Fawful yet?

Back