Fringe Logic in the Mario Universe

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
Now, I know the Mushroom Kingdom and the like are all part of this fantasy world where real world logic shouldn't apply, but there ARE those moments when you're playing when you're just wondering "How does that work?" or "What the heck?" For example, just today, I noticed the following:

-In the Cloudy Court Galaxy, Mario uses the Cloud Flower to produce cloud which he can use to float to areas via the wind produced by windmills. That's not how windmills work! The vanes on windmills move BECAUSE the wind blows them, they don't move on their own. (Right?)
-In the Freezy Flake Galaxy, there's an area where there's snow on top of lava. Apparently, the large snowballs you push across can freeze the lava temporarily, but they melt pretty quickly. Why the other snow doesn't melt, I'll never know.

Now, has anyone felt a similar experience? Has anything ever felt really odd or out of place, even in a Mario game?

Re: Finge Logic in the Mario Universe

Smashgoom202 said:
-In the Freezy Flake Galaxy, there's an area where there's snow on top of lava. Apparently, the large snowballs you push across can freeze the lava temporarily, but they melt pretty quickly. Why the other snow doesn't melt, I'll never know.
Look closely; the snow you can walk on and isn't melting is on top of rocks.

Uniju said:
Smashgoom202 said:
Look closely; the snow you can walk on and isn't melting is on top of rocks.
Really? Well, I guess that makes sense, at least as far as video games go. (Convection Schmonvection not withstanding)

In the Freezeflame Galaxy, some of the ice melted while other parts of the ice wouldn't melt. The tempereature couldn't have varies that much within the regions of that level. There was only one Launch Star, and it was at the very start of the level.

Smashgoom202 said:
-In the Cloudy Court Galaxy, Mario uses the Cloud Flower to produce cloud which he can use to float to areas via the wind produced by windmills. That's not how windmills work! The vanes on windmills move BECAUSE the wind blows them, they don't move on their own. (Right?)
Correct. ;)

Just about everything in Mario games can make you go "What?" if you even take them just a little seriously.

superseaadvance4.png

LAVA. ON THE CEILING.

How are the fireballs launched into the air (out of lava, no less)?

I usually assume they're relatives of Podoboos, or some sort of spirit. Either way, I see that sort of thing all the time in fiction.

Why wasn't Sarasaland ever mentioned since the Super Mario Land games?

Because it isn't very noteworthy?
Or maybe because the Mushroom Kingdom took it over, and now it's illegal to talk about it when it was Sarasaland. That's the sort of thing a monarchy would do...

how to yoshis hatch out of there eggs whereing shoes and a saddle? :yoshi:

Where do Lakitus ge their endless supply of Spinies? And the same goes for Hammer Bros. and their infinate amount of banhammers?

How does Mario throw fireballs under water?

How can he breathe for such a long period of time?

How come the iceballs in NSMBWII don't freeze the entire water?

How can a wimpy little propeller lift Mario 100 feet into the air?

Jesus Freak said:
How does Mario throw fireballs under water?
How does Mario throw fireballs?

One thing that has bugged me is the Throwback Galaxy in SMG2. We know that this galaxy apparently exists for nostalgic purposes and all, but there is signs that Mario has been there before and such sign would be the chipped off wall that contained one of the stars in SM64. The question is: is the Throwback Galaxy truly the same place as the Whomp's Fortress in SM64 and did it exist before Bowser took over Princess Peach's castle.

Whomp's Fortress wasn't real. It was a magical world inside a painting. Perhaps it was a painting someone drew of the Throwbac Galaxy?

Back