Sonic Colors

Smugleaf said:
Knuckles is Travis Willingham.
Really, now? I could have sworn that was Dan Green, because they both sound exactly the same. That's not exactly a good thing, either. I've never been a huge fan of Knuckles' 4Kids voice.

Has anyone played the game yet? I played it and it's kinda cool. Tons better than Sonic Unleashed. The good thing is at this game you actually move in platforms, search for hidden items and you don't run all the freakin time like a maniac as in previous games. Another good thing is that the 2D parts seem to be longer than the 3D ones.

IMO Sonic should stay 2D, his 3D movement is too damn weird for a platformer. Another thing that SEGA should do is imitate Mario more. The more Sonic is focused on running like crazy the less successful he will be. And the more he starts to be played like Mario (as in the classic 2D games of the 90's) the better for the franchise.

FunkyKong84 said:
Has anyone played the game yet? I played it and it's kinda cool. Tons better than Sonic Unleashed. The good thing is at this game you actually move in platforms, search for hidden items and you don't run all the freakin time like a maniac as in previous games. Another good thing is that the 2D parts seem to be longer than the 3D ones.

IMO Sonic should stay 2D, his 3D movement is too damn weird for a platformer. Another thing that SEGA should do is imitate Mario more. The more Sonic is focused on running like crazy the less successful he will be. And the more he starts to be played like Mario (as in the classic 2D games of the 90's) the better for the franchise.

Per, except the dissing the 3d part.

I dunno why everyone wants to force Sonic to stay in 2d. I thought the adventure games and Heroes were pretty damn good platformers, and those were full 3d. Sure the side-gameplays in SA1 and 2 were tedious, but they were because of not being actual Sonic-esque levels, not because they were 3d or anything like that. By the way, the same applies to Mario nowadays: some internet forums praise the 2d sections in the two Galaxy games, specially the fact that they are far more present in the second game. And, in my view, those sections are nice, but if the way to make a 3d platformer in people´s view is to abuse 2d sections, that´s sad. You don´t call 3d platformers 3D for nothing...

Also, I think Mario´s style of gameplay suits Sonic well, but if there´s one thing I DON´T WANT Sonic to learn from Mario, is to focus only in one character, and it seems that it is exactly what the Sonic franchise is doing. In Mario games, secondary characters are demoted to sports and party games only, and maybe they´ll have some story non playable roles in other games, but never more than once or twice for the most part. In the Sonic series, you actually get to do platforming stuff with Tails, Shadow, Knuckles etc, and it was good, at least when you got proper platforming with those characters, and not secondary gimmicky gameplay styles like fishing or emerald hunting. In Mario games, you only play as Mario and, depending on the game, maybe Luigi, Yoshi, and it seems that in recent games, also Bowser, as he was playable in Super Paper Mario AND Bowser´s Inside Story, but that´s about it. I still hate EAD for putting two Toad clones in NSMB Wii instead of the actual Toad (but nooo, he was demoted to "help meeee" lines) or maybe the Wario Bros, or Peach or... no, two generic mushroom people. That´s just not right.

I don't hate the 3D Sonic per se, it's just that they made his motion really bad so that you can only run and not walk in all directions like Mario does. Don't forget that in most 3D Sonic games there is a narrow "corridor" in which you can move. They tried to fix that by making Were-hog in Sonic Unleashed but that sucked.

I'm just tired of games where there are no enemies, all you do is run forward and die unexpectedly because you can't really see what is next. Sonic Colors is a real improvement, but they have to get rid of the only running in 3D nonsense in order to have a better game.

I agree that Tails and Knuckles have to be playable together with Sonic, but that would be even better in 2D.

FunkyKong84 said:
I don't hate the 3D Sonic per se, it's just that they made his motion really bad so that you can only run and not walk in all directions like Mario does. Don't forget that in most 3D Sonic games there is a narrow "corridor" in which you can move. They tried to fix that by making Were-hog in Sonic Unleashed but that sucked.

I'm just tired of games where there are no enemies, all you do is run forward and die unexpectedly because you can't really see what is next. Sonic Colors is a real improvement, but they have to get rid of the only running in 3D nonsense in order to have a better game.

I agree that Tails and Knuckles have to be playable together with Sonic, but that would be even better in 2D.

With all the respect, I seriously think you have not played the past 3d Sonic games. What you described applies solely to both versions of unleashed, specially the 360 one, hence why I didn´t like it.

I think Sonic´s transition to 3D was very well done, in that it keeps the gameplay formula. Mario doesn´t work in "corridors" because of the more exploring and slow paced gameplay, while Sonic was strictly about getting from point A to point B as fast as you could, maybe trying to find some secret passages along the way so you could get to the special stages or make better times. That type of gameplay was actually given even MORE emphasis when the games started to give you a rank and/or save your scores, prompting you to do better performances. So, an open environment where you can skip basically anything, doesn´t work for Sonic games, while a "racetrack" with platforms, enemies, and all kinds of obstacles, maintains that gameplay experience. Think of something like DK Jungle Beat, where the core of the gameplay is to find all kinds of possible tricks and get massive scores.

Therefore, I think Sonic´s transition to 3d couldn´t have been better. Sonic Adventure 1, 2 and Heroes are some of the finest games ever made. Even the gamecube versions of the adventure games, with their flaws like certain bad camera angles and such are still great. The only stages I recall about "running with little to no enemies at all" are Tails windy valley in SA1, Big´s Ice cap in the same game (although that one was about fishing), and MAYBE Sonic´s metal harbor in SA2.

Playing the stages and keep learning how to perform tricks, enemy combos, while getting tons of items and rings along the way, was one of the most fulfulling gameplay experiences a gamer could have.

But then, rabbid Sonic fanboys complaining about having things to slow you down, having to actually jump and do stuff, and complaining about having other characters to play, made Sega switch to "KEEP RUNNING" gameplay, which I despise, because, as you said, it consists on keep holding right and having to memorize the death moments before hand because they are designed to kill you before you can even see them.

Trust me, I know Sonic games are not perfect, but most people critiquize them without playing them or even without doing their research.

Now THIS is a good Sonic game.

It takes Unleashed's daytime levels, improves on them, and throws the Werehog out the window.

And unlike the other gimmicks, the Wisps complement the gameplay nicely.

Good voice acting, good music, good gameplay.

I'd say this is easily the best 3D Sonic game.

Keep it up, SEGA.

I agree with ML. I just LOVE it. Daytime was the best part of Unleashed and they just made it better.

The commercial is kinda weird, because it has that 'sing a rainbow' song in it. :P

Back