This will now gonna make some sense
For me its a yes...If they make one....
:( :(
Well,,, its a great idea
Primary - Fire Ball
Secondary - Punch or Kick
Bomb - Bobomb
Skill- Ground and Pound

I doubt Nintendo would ever make one, but I'm sure it would make a good fangame.

Like Uniju said, Nintendo already made a Mario FPS. On the fangame comment, I think there's a Mario themed Half-Life mod and a Mario themed DOOM hack floating somewhere around the internet.

Uniju said:
Closest you'll ever get. (Yoshi's Safari)
I was about to point that game out too.

It might be nice if they rereleased it on Virtual Console using the Zapper or something.

Sharks Territory said:
An FPS would make for an incredible spinoff.
No it wouldn't. Yoshi's Safari wasn't incredible and there's no basis for a FPS in the Mario series anyway.

Sheep Man said:
Sharks Territory said:
An FPS would make for an incredible spinoff.
No it wouldn't. Yoshi's Safari wasn't incredible and there's no basis for a FPS in the Mario series anyway.
Say what you want, but I thought that game was awesome.

new story about that Mega Man WAD

Nevermind that Mario is one of the franchise out there not suited at all for the FPS genre (Yoshi's Safari OK, but that was just a tech demo for an accesorry nobody bought), there's also the issue that FPSese are niche at best in Japan.

Glowsquid said:
Nevermind that Mario is one of the franchise out there not suited at all for the FPS genre
I wouldn't much say he's suited for a lot of the things he's done. I'm sure if you asked someone in 1985 what they thought of that new Super Mario Bros. game and what kind of sequel they would want, they would have by no means responded "a game that will teach my kids to type".
Glowsquid said:
(Yoshi's Safari OK, but that was just a tech demo for an accesorry nobody bought)
Yoshi's Safari wasn't even an FPS by genre, while it was obviously a shooter game viewed from the first person, FPS as a genre generally implies certain elements of movement that were not available in said title.
Glowsquid said:
there's also the issue that FPSese are niche at best in Japan.
So were a lot of things before Mario did them.

Glowsquid said:
that was just a tech demo for an accesorry nobody bought)
uh... *hides superscope*

I'm sure if you asked someone in 1985 what they thought of that new Super Mario Bros. game and what kind of sequel they would want, they would have by no means responded "a game that will teach my kids to type".

You'll notice most of the weirder spin-off are by American third-parties.

The problem with doing a Mario FPS is the visceral element, there's a reason for why there are almost no paintball-themed FPS on the market. I doubt SHiggy would let Mario go the Conker (or Alice) route... a shmae too as a Mario game in the same vein as Alice would be great.

Yoshi's Safari wasn't even an FPS by genre, while it was obviously a shooter game viewed from the first person, FPS as a genre generally implies certain elements of movement that were not available in said title.

I know Yoshi's Safare is a rail-shooter but I didn't want to sound even more like the name-dropping pedant I usually am :(.

So were a lot of things before Mario did them.

Apart from cartoony kart racers, what genres did Mario actually makes popular? I seriously can't think of anything.

You'll notice most of the weirder spin-off are by American third-parties.
But they exist and were officially licensed, nonetheless.
The problem with doing a Mario FPS is the visceral element, there's a reason for why there are almost no paintball-themed FPS on the market.
There are paintball-themed FPS on the market, they just aren't at all popular; just like...
Apart from cartoony kart racers, what genres did Mario actually makes popular?
Minigame/Boardgame Video Games, Sidescrollers and 3D-Roaming games were before Mario did them.

Pitfall! and its sequel were among the best selling games for the Atari 2600.
It may have been popular itself, but that doesn't mean it did a good job popularizing the genre.
Plus, it was screen-based, not scrolling.

Glowsquid said:
I'd say that's more of a case of inventing the genre that popularising it, the only 3D platformer made before SM64 I can think of is this thing.
I think there were a few 3D platformers before SM64. (Other than I, Robot)

But SM64 was the first to have the non-fixed camera and stuff.

Back