Does anyone else think it's about time for a new Donkey Kong platformer?

SolarBlaze

Guardian of the Sol Emeralds.
Retired Wiki Staff
Ever since Rare was brought out by Microsoft, the series hasn't been the same. Back then, we used to get new Donkey Kong games quite frequently, but over the years, it seems that the series has pretty much fallen into obscurity. Yes, I'm well aware of games like Donkey Konga (which in my opinion, was garbage), as well as Jungle Beat, King of Swing, Barrel Blast, Jungle Climber (all four, which I enjoyed), but it wasn't quite the same. While Jungle Beat was fun and everything, it was still a bit of a disappointment, since the developers purposely went out of their way exclude almost everything that made up the Donkey Kong Country series (even going so far as to claim that it wasn't "fresh enough for today"; which is a load of crap, seeing how they have no problems bringing back older Mario characters, which have existed long before the DKC series itself).

The other three games were fun, too, but I'm still waiting for an actual Donkey Kong platformer on the Wii (aside from New Play Control! Donkey Kong Jungle Beat), which is either in the same style as the DKC series and/or Donkey Kong 64. For quite a few years now (ever since 2005), it's been said several times that a Donkey Kong platformer was going to appear at E3, and so far, that hasn't happened yet. Other than some article in the Famitsu magazine (which isn't in any way trustworthy, since they made up that lie about Paper Mario being ported to the DS; and as a result, I no longer believe anything they have to say), there's no real evidence that it even exists.

I would love a new entry in the DKC series. One that has DK, Diddy, and Dixie as playable characters.

Yeah, if they can bring back the Koopalings with no obvious hiccups, I don’t see why they can’t make a “Donkey Kong 128” or a “Donkey Kong Country: Barrel Roll edition”

Yes.

I wonder what would happen if Rare stayed, though. Spin-offs were coming until Nintendo didn't want to renew their contract, a too-little known fact (Some people just thought that Microsoft came and bought Rare from Nintendo, but it's really Nintendo's fault). So, basically, either way the series could have just went downhill in one's viewpoint.

<s>Let the ranting begin.</s>

Ugozima = :posh:

Prince Bowser Jr. said:
I would love a new entry in the DKC series. One that has DK, Diddy, and Dixie as playable characters.
I think Kiddy should be added to that list, too, along with Chunky. Pretty much every playable (and non-playable) Kong from the Donkey Kong Country series was featured in Barrel Blast, except for the two of them. This also goes for Swanky Kong.

I've yet to play Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, and I'm looking forward to it, but at for a new platformer, I don't care what they do, as long as they include stuff from Jungle Beat and the old Country series. Especially Swanky Kong, he needs a comeback! :dk:

If there is another Donkey Kong Country, Kiddy Kong should be the main character. DK, Diddy and Dixie all got to star in their own Donkey Kong Country, so its Kiddy's turn now.

Bass said:
Prince Bowser Jr. said:
I think Kiddy should be added to that list, too, along with Chunky. Pretty much every playable (and non-playable) Kong from the Donkey Kong Country series was featured in Barrel Blast, except for the two of them. This also goes for Swanky Kong.

Agreed. I don´t get why Chunky and Swanky are neglected in the series.

DK Jungle Climber was a fun game but it´s been a while since it came out, and since the Wii has no DK platformer of it´s own (just a GCN port), they better make a proper Wii DK platformer.

Sadly, I don't think the series will ever be as good as it was before, even if they did make another platformer. :-\

Well, whatever it'd take to please the DK nostalgists who do nothing more than complain. It could just have Donkey Kong in it and that's all. I noticed that quite several of them don't care much about the cast aside from Donkey Kong himself...

Giygas said:
Well, whatever it'd take to please the DK nostalgists who do nothing more than complain. It could just have Donkey Kong in it and that's all. I noticed that quite several of them don't care much about the cast aside from Donkey Kong himself...

I do. :( I care about Diddy and Dixie being in! Maybe even Kiddy...

Giygas said:
Well, whatever it'd take to please the DK nostalgists who do nothing more than complain. It could just have Donkey Kong in it and that's all.
Umm, isn't that exactly what they did in Jungle Beat? You're a member of the Donkey Kong Universe forums, aren't you? I'm sure you're well aware by now that the fanbase was NOT pleased with that.

I was a member, but I left anyway. However, I've noticed that several nostalgists said it was the last good DK game mainly because it was a platformer (Note: They're referring to the original, not the remake directly). Paon's games are disliked by the nostalgists simply because they're not platformers.

Technically, those games are platformers. They were just made in a different style. Rather than running and jumping on enemies like in the Donkey Kong Country games, the gameplay mechanics are centered around climbing pegs and bashing into enemies. You do have a point, though. There are some Rareware fanboys who simply hate anything Donkey Kong-related that isn't made by Rare. For example, there are people who've complained about the design-changes that some of the characters have gone through, and other things like that.

Yeah. As far as I can tell, they're no different from the Sonic fans who've complained about Sonic having green eyes in Sonic 4.

Donkey Kong is WAY overdue for an adventure platforming game. I mean seriously, the last game he had that wasn't a spin-off was DK: Jungle Beat. Some people hated it, but I loved it. The only thing I didn't like about the game was how short it was. But trust me, the game was awesome and fun :dk: ;D

I'm pretty sure at one point they were planning one for Wii, but got cancelled.

Holy crap... I just found out something EXCITING. Retro Studios, the same company who's developed the Metroid Prime series, is working on a new Donkey Kong platformer. That, alone is MORE than enough to get me excited about this year's E3. Oh, I've waited SO long for this.

SolarBlaze said:
Holy crap... I just found out something EXCITING. Retro Studios, the same company who's developed the Metroid Prime series, is working on a new Donkey Kong platformer. That, alone is MORE than enough to get me excited about this year's E3. Oh, I've waited SO long for this.
Seriously?

I can't wait. I'd totally get a new Donkey Kong platformer if it came out. And considering Retro Studios is making it (I loved Metroid Prime), I'm even more excited about it. :)

Back