The forums are changing quickly..

N

Noahp89

I didn't know where to put this, so I put it here.

Anyone else feel that the forums are changing fast?

In the past 2 months, some of the most mature members left. ChaosNinji is no longer in charge, and now the forums seem completely different. Of course, Stooben does a great job, but the forum seems way different without Ninji. Smiddle has also left.

Anyone else feel that the forums are now completely different?

Re: The forums are changing fast..

I guess. Some of the old threads from 2007 or even as recent as late-2008 make the forum look kind of like a Happy Village, but some more recent ones make it look like a Crapsack World or a Wretched Hive. Though not all of them are that bad. It seemed to have calmed a little for some weird reason after Ninji left... :shifty:

Side-Note:
Since this is directly about the forum, I'd say it should be in General Discussion. ;)

Mov'd.

Thanks.

Yeah, that's what I mean. I miss all of Ninji's name changing. The whole fad thing isn't a big now that he's gone. I wish he wouldn't have left.

Rudnicki said:
Yeah, that's what I mean. I miss all of Ninji's name changing. The whole fad thing isn't a big now that he's gone. I wish he wouldn't have left.
He still comes online. Though most of that time is spent telling me stuff along the lines of "You're joking, right? I could do better then that. You're not very good at this."... -_-

Whenever a big new Mario game like NSMBWii comes out, all sorts of people join. Most are unbearable. Most thankfully don't stay for that long.

I think it's because they were such a big part of the forum for so long. ChaosNinji's retired; Smiddle's retired; Uniju is active, but his original account was deleted, so half of our older conversations make absolutely no sense; 3D's been gone for hella long time; Blitz retired; Toadbert rarely comes by; I could go on for a while. Plus, Rudnicki/Maria/Mr. Yellow's attacks are a huge rarity these days, as opposed to being multiple times a day. The changes in the extended community (Userpedia, Xephyr, chat, and the MarioWiki itself) all have an impact on each other, so changes are bound to happen.

All communities go through these changes, some for the better, some for the worse. I'd like to think of it more like the forum is growing a new generation. And because this generation is still "new", there's still many changes yet to be made to make it memorable. Plus, you never know, some people might unretire, which would bring some form of nostalgia back here; it's happened before, who's to say it won't happen again?

Snow Miser said:
Plus, you never know, some people might unretire, which would bring some form of nostalgia back here; it's happened before, who's to say it won't happen again?

One example being Knife. He was gone since... 2007? And he returned, like, a month or two ago. Stumpers came back after a few months to tell us why he had to leave. Paper Jorge edits a bit more than before.

Heck, I went away the day I joined in March 2008, and came back in April 2009.

Actually, 3D was online last month according to his profile. That's the last I've heard of him though.

Pretty much "Per Stoob".

One thing I noticed is that the Xephyr board has gotten darker and edgier compared to the earliest thread on there. Userpedia is focused more on fiction then user articles and comics nowadays. The wiki itself has become more of a seperate community then the forum and UP due to new users now being all over the place and the other community areas being less known by said newbies (a proposal on putting UP on the wiki sidebar once even got multiple No Votes along the lines of "Userpedia has nothing to do with us! They should work for being put on the sidebar. Just because they mention us doesn't mean they should get special treatmeant!" -_-)

Also, not many active users are aware of the forum. Smashgoom202 was even around for 2 or 3 years before he even knew we had a forum.

As a result of these things (plus Stoob's points), the forum is not very active anymore.

Selective memory. No one actually liked ChaosNinji while he was in charge, Smiddle has basically been retired for months, 3Dejong has been gone too long for anyone actually active here apart from me and a couple mods/admins to remember him, Blitzwing was mean to me, Toadbert was a noob when he was active here, and the people who enjoyed Rudnicki got a rule put up against themselves.

(a proposal on putting UP on the wiki sidebar once even got multiple No Votes along the lines of "Userpedia has nothing to do with us! They should work for being put on the sidebar. Just because they mention us doesn't mean they should get special treatmeant!" -_-)
Userpedia doesn't have anything to do with us, though.

Sheep Man said:
Actually, 3D was online last month according to his profile. That's the last I've heard of him though.
True, but I don't think he actually posted.

Sheep Man said:
One thing I noticed is that the Xephyr board has gotten darker and edgier compared to the earliest thread on there.
Xephyr was largely affected by some stuff on Userpedia. When Xephyr was originally created, there was still hope of ScribbleWiki coming back, and the general environment on all these sites was much lighter. Then Userpedia disappeared, Jaime went schizo, and Rudnicki and his clan of dorks started attacking all the sites full-force; this made the atmosphere a lot tenser. Xephyr, having the loosest rules, naturally showed the most emotion from this. Then I got hacked and Neurario went insane, which kind of triggered the whole thing all over again while the community was still weak and sore from all the trouble we had already gone through. I wouldn't necessarily say Xephyr getting "darker and edgier" would be a bad thing (I know you didn't say that), but it's more or less a way for users to let their emotions show at pretty much full-force.

Sheep Man said:
Userpedia is focused more on fiction then user articles and comics nowadays.
Plus I retired, and I only plan to stop by to update my RPG article and fix up my own article. Not to sound egotistical, but I was a pretty big part of that site.

Sheep Man said:
The wiki itself has become more of a seperate community then the forum and UP due to new users now being all over the place and the other community areas being less known by said newbies (a proposal on putting UP on the wiki sidebar once even got multiple No Votes along the lines of "Userpedia has nothing to do with us! They should work for being put on the sidebar. Just because they mention us doesn't mean they should get special treatmeant!" -_-)
To be fair, Userpedia is not something that should be on the sidebar; that's for in-site or direct affiliate (the forum and chat) navigation only. That said, Userpedia should have a little button in the affiliates section of the main page.

Sheep Man said:
Also, not many active users are aware of the forum. Smashgoom202 was even around for 2 or 3 years before he even knew we had a forum. As a result of these things (plus Stoob's points), the forum is not very active anymore.
Yup. I've thought about advertising the forum a little more on the wiki, but I haven't come up with any decent ideas.

Snow Miser said:
Sheep Man said:

Sheep Man said:
One thing I noticed is that the Xephyr board has gotten darker and edgier compared to the earliest thread on there.
Xephyr was largely affected by some stuff on Userpedia. When Xephyr was originally created, there was still hope of ScribbleWiki coming back, and the general environment on all these sites was much lighter. Then Userpedia disappeared, Jaime went schizo, and Rudnicki and his clan of dorks started attacking all the sites full-force; this made the atmosphere a lot tenser. Xephyr, having the loosest rules, naturally showed the most emotion from this. Then I got hacked and Neurario went insane, which kind of triggered the whole thing all over again while the community was still weak and sore from all the trouble we had already gone through. I wouldn't necessarily say Xephyr getting "darker and edgier" would be a bad thing (I know you didn't say that), but it's more or less a way for users to let their emotions show at pretty much full-force.

Sheep Man said:
Plus I retired, and I only plan to stop by to update my RPG article and fix up my own article. Not to sound egotistical, but I was a pretty big part of that site.

Sheep Man said:
The wiki itself has become more of a seperate community then the forum and UP due to new users now being all over the place and the other community areas being less known by said newbies (a proposal on putting UP on the wiki sidebar once even got multiple No Votes along the lines of "Userpedia has nothing to do with us! They should work for being put on the sidebar. Just because they mention us doesn't mean they should get special treatmeant!" -_-)
To be fair, Userpedia is not something that should be on the sidebar; that's for in-site or direct affiliate (the forum and chat) navigation only. That said, Userpedia should have a little button in the affiliates section of the main page.

Sheep Man said:
Also, not many active users are aware of the forum. Smashgoom202 was even around for 2 or 3 years before he even knew we had a forum. As a result of these things (plus Stoob's points), the forum is not very active anymore.
Yup. I've thought about advertising the forum a little more on the wiki, but I haven't come up with any decent ideas.

Perhaps a template that would go on user's pages saying "I am a member of the [[Forum:index.php|MarioWiki Forum]]!" or something like that.

North Wind said:
Snow Miser said:
Sheep Man said:

Sheep Man said:

Sheep Man said:

Sheep Man said:

Sheep Man said:

Perhaps a template that would go on user's pages saying "I am a member of the [[Forum:index.php|MarioWiki Forum]]!" or something like that.
That's a pretty good idea.

@SMB: Yeah, I didn't become active right away either.

It's a good idea, but I don't really see it being that effective. We could always do what Userpedia did and add a top bar (or whatever it is) with a link to the forum. We could also have forum events like contests and trivia games held by the admins.

Sheep Man said:
It's a good idea, but I don't really see it being that effective. We could always do what Userpedia did and add a top bar (or whatever it is) with a link to the forum. We could also have forum events like contests and trivia games held by the admins.

I like the second part, but the first part is not feasible. MediaWiki:Sitenotice is what you are referring to, correct? The ads at the top of the wiki would block the message.

North Wind said:
Sheep Man said:
I like the second part, but the first part is not feasible. MediaWiki:Sitenotice is what you are referring to, correct? The ads at the top of the wiki would block the message.
'K. That's too bad. XP

Maybe we could also have a special reunion party on here next year since it's the wiki's 5-year anniversary. That would be kind of cool. :)

Sheep Man said:
Maybe we could also have a special reunion party on here next year since it's the wiki's 5-year anniversary. That would be kind of cool. :)
Now THIS is actually a good idea. It would be even better if we could pull it off.

Snow Miser said:
Sheep Man said:
Now THIS is actually a good idea. It would be even better if we could pull it off.
It seems like it could. We can put a message on the Main Page. We also have all the emails of retired users. Someone's probabilly going to have to become a postman. :smug:

Burgermeister Meisterburger said:
I would be glad to help
Speaking of which, it would be cool if would could get a comittie (can't really spell that) for planning the event if we decide to hold one. The event could possibly have it's own board (in both the planning stage and during the party). Though we probabilly shouldn't worry about this stuff until the anniversary gets many months closer.

Sheep Man said:
I would be glad to help
Speaking of which, it would be cool if would could get a comittie (can't really spell that) for planning the event if we decide to hold one. The event could possibly have it's own board (in both the planning stage and during the party). Though we probabilly shouldn't worry about this stuff until the anniversary gets many months closer.
You can trust me :)

Sheep Man said:
I would be glad to help

We do have a committee for this... It is the Awards committee. The committee could probably work on something like this.

North Wind said:
Sheep Man said:
I would be glad to help
We do have a committee for this... It is the Awards committee. The committee could probably work on something like this.
Not very likely. This would mostly be planned to be held around the time of the awards since it's also held close to the anniversary. It's also more of a different kind of area. To tell you the truth, I kind of want to be the leader (if we do this) due to ego issues, but I'm fine if I just have some say in how it's planned.

Sheep Man said:
North Wind said:
Sheep Man said:
I would be glad to help
Not very likely. This would mostly be planned to be held around the time of the awards since it's also held close to the anniversary. It's also more of a different kind of area. To tell you the truth, I kind of want to be the leader if we do this due to ego issue, but I'm fine if I just have some say in how it's planned.
And many of the AC wont want perhaps to wrok on this. Believe me, I will get some users. And I am fine with you leading this

Sheep Man said:
North Wind said:
Sheep Man said:
I would be glad to help
Not very likely. This would mostly be planned to be held around the time of the awards since it's also held close to the anniversary. It's also more of a different kind of area. To tell you the truth, I kind of want to be the leader if we do this due to ego issue, but I'm fine if I just have some say in how it's planned.
And many of the AC wont want perhaps to wrok on this. Believe me, I will get some users. And I am fine with you leading this
Thank you. :)

But we're kind of "jumping the gun" so to speak. We still need to have Stoob aprove it, talk the idea over with the mods and sysops, etc.

Honestly, if it does get done, it needs to be tied in with the awards somehow. It'd be overall easier to manage if we had more people in one group that worked on making the 5th anniversary a blast, rather than fewer members in multiple groups that all have different parts to contend to.

Back