Mario: Better now or then?

Dark_Craw

Goomba
Has any of the orginal Mario-ness that we all love been lost over the many years of knock-offs and sequels? My favorite Mario game is still Super Mario Bros. 3 all these years. It's just so Mario! Hard to explain. So, anyway, is Mario better than ever, or can he never match his classic greatness? :?:

Come one, man, A or B! I'm interested in what you really think about it.

Okay, here's what I think. The Mario now is still Mario. The way the Marioverse has grown is incredible. I love Mario games as much now as before. Although, there will never be another SMB3!

Not counting remakes.

I kind of like the in-between time, shortly after NES, during the Super NES, but before the N64. Great games them, Super Mario World, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.

Totally agree. Super Mario World was the bomb, and Yoshi's Island was fun. Shortly after RPG cam Super Mario 64, which was acclaimed by many as "the greatest game ever made." What do you think about that?

I don't play it anymore, either. SM64 DS was just something to do, although using Wario is fun.
Iguess the main improvement has been in the writing for the games. Mario and Luigi and Paper Mario 2 made me laugh out loud.

Sir Grodus said:
Not counting remakes.

I kind of like the in-between time, shortly after NES, during the Super NES, but before the N64. Great games them, Super Mario World, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.

And couldn't agree more... but don't you dare leave Yoshi's Safari and Tetris Attack out.

I like the in-between time best too. Especially around the time of Yoshi's Story, Mario Party 1-3, and Paper Mario (so basically the N64 era). Yoshi's Story was my first video game, and it is my third favorite to this day (Paper Mario is my favorite). ^_^ A bunch of nostalgic things came out around that time too: Ocarina of Time, Kirby 64, Majora's Mask, Mario Tennis...

Anyway, though, I have currently been annoyed about how in more recent games (namely Super Mario Strikers and Mario Party 8), Yoshi has been sounding SO bad. I mean, did Kotaka Yumazi (or whatever his name is) die or something? Yoshi always sounded so cute, and now all of the sudden he's sounding like something for 2-year olds...

...I was close...

I will love the most my "super mario infancy" y grow with him, there's my mario history
-my mom says that I liked mario since I was 1 and 1/2 years old. she was the one who played the super mario bros ,1,2 and 3 and sometimes, my aunt played super mario world,but, that was until they leave that, and I decide to play by myself, and I was a better player than my mom and aunt quickly, but I still don't have a snes. but later, my aunt give me her snes as a gift, I started to play and play the mario bros saga until my nes was damaged and super mario world was the only thing left. but I loved the mario saga too much, that even y had mario as an imaginary friend!!!!!!!!!!! went I was in my favorite central market came the N64, the first thing that I saw was the face of mario in the super mario 64 and I enjoined mimicing him and wen he battles bowser I thought that guy was morton jr, because I din't know annything about him. but, afther I beat bowser in the super mario world, I feel like I saved the world and I begind the game from the start counteless times seeking to finish it before I shut the snes down .shortly soom, I discobered the special world, and I din't share my snes until I cleared them all

-then, the event to live a year in united states came, and when I entered in my house in the town of columbus the first thing that I did was play with my recent bought N64 and super mario 64. later, I discobered yoshi's island, and I wanted that game because I seeking for revenge agains kamek for kidnaping mario from me counteless times, but I din't got it. long afther that i beat bowser for second time in the sm64, I played mario kart 64 and I got yoshi's story, a very cute game, but kamek don't apeared!!!!! I was still urging to kick his butt. shortly afther that y get the 70 star from sm64 and I get inside to the final level, but with constants losses and a hard obstacle I take long time befor to finaly meet bowser. the he was easy, until the final hit, he destroys part of the battle place and it was hard to me give him the final hit!!!!! it take very long to beat him and I lose my lifes to easily, them, I give up, but the nexts days I keep trying and loosing, I was desperate, it was a something obligatory, that I must do for my former imaginary friend, mario. I keep begind beated by bowser and I must beat him because, in a sense, he was my enemy to, it was like I was mario's partner and I must help him to recue peach. until i discovered the timing to give the final blow and he wasn't too hard from them. the last thing important was, that I bought some snes games, uncluding super mario-all stars, to revive my infancy and to finish those games at last

I like to continue "my life wiht mario" but there's still a long way too make it, so, bye-bye men

So, Maledict, basically, you and I have a similar situation. To make it short (cough cough) I have been around Mario since 3 years old. My first game was Super Mario Bros. 3. :mario:

My life with mario (continue)
-before mi move to my new home, I started to play all-stars and super mario world, because. them, I bought mario RPG (I was stuck easily, because it was my first rpg of my life)
-OK the next thing that I remember is that 1 year later afther return in my country, I bought super smash bros before I moved to another city. then mario party and it secuel were next if I remember well(the 3 games were fun even in single player), i say to wart in all-stars "I finaly kicked your butt and I kip doing that every day from the start. then, I bought paper mario, the game was very emotive because a mario-game presented a more deep history, I was surprised went bowser beat me with the star rod, and I get stuck because of the koopa bros disguised. but at least 3 weeks later, I finaly kicked them out of the way. I remember thay I was very happy for beat them and finaly, recover the first star spirit, but I got stuck on the station because of the rock (only one week) and the moustafa bussines(at least between six months to one year) and I was in the same emotional state and situation as the battle agains bowser in the super mario 64 (see my last post before this one).them, one of my happier chrismas come, mom and dad give me and my brother a game-boy color (one for each) the first game that I played was pokemon red, them super mario bros deluxe (I played it the most), after that, I bought wario land 3 it was funny them, I beat rudy first and bowser later in those games. I still don't finished paper M, moustafa was still blockin my way (just perfect!!!!!!!), luckily, I was studying english, but, I was paying attention on it during classes, but not outside of them, so, I don't bothered to read the dialogues. until I saw and interpreted the option "how to meet moustafa" I choose it and followed it instructions and I finaly got stuck no more. them, I continued the game and recovered the second star spirit, and I learned the lesson of paying more attention on the english if I don't want to get stucked like those events again. later, I passed the remaining chapters to finaly confront bowser, it was a thought battle, but I finaly beat him, it was a happy success for me

-the time to buy mario party 3 has come, like the other two, it was funny in single player, them, the best chrismas of my life has come, my mom give me a "mario kart: super circuit" and "wario world 4" i remember that i finished mario party 3 again as wario, and them I played perfect dark until it was already dawn, them, I sleph and went I awoke, I played mario kart and wario land 4. wario land 4 was the one that I played the most, that game give me happiness during my free-time and a bit of the last success of the singer chakira, thoose vacations could not be better

I will continue later, is late over here, later, men

I think Mario will always live on, but the astonishing number of sports knockoffs has cheapened him, somehow. (not that they arent good....)

ultimatetoad said:
I think Mario will always live on, but the astonishing number of sports knockoffs has cheapened him, somehow. (not that they arent good....)

QFT.

I will only be convinced of Mario downfall the day they will make an Sonic the Hedgehog - style fiasco.

I wonder why more TV shows of Mario aren't made now. If Mario still dominated he games, why not have at least a cartoon?
Although I think I've seen enough of Captain Lou.

ultimatetoad said:
that's an important part of my tale, but it's too late to continue (11:43 pm), but at least, I can edit some mistakes of my post. about the cartoon, if is made by nintendo crew it could be nice, the intro of the power tennis was good enough to make a cartoon in 3D ¿sounds cool huh?

I'd rather they don't return to the TV business. >_>

The first couple of sports games, such as Mario Golf 64, Mario Tennis 64, and even Mario Kart: Double Dash!! were enjoyable. But... They have begun to lose their magic touch; same with the Mario Party series. Especially when you look at Mario Super Strikers and Mario Baseball. Baseball is an American sport (I think... I may be wrong), isn't it? So why would Italian characters from a Japanese game be playing it? Seems Americanized. Super Strikers was disappointing. Yoshi seemed like he was a two-year old and sounded it too, Peach and Daisy were suggestive, and...well... It all seemed so un-Mario-like, you know? Like, they could have stuck in different characters and it would be just the same. It didn't move me like others did.

The Mario Party games have been getting more and more cheesy; mind you, 7 was the cheesiest of them all and 8 was a bit better, but... Well, the graphics quality has been improving, but has the rest? The music quality was at an all-time high at Mario Party 5. It lowered in 6, and stunk in 7 (7 stunk in general). The increased amount of characters in 3 was nice, but I'm disliking the new role of Donkey Kong, and the new characters from 5 onward are annoying. Toad, Boo, and the Hammer Brother were COMPLETELY un-needed. Toad and Boo were essential Mario Party characters, even if Toad's role in 3 was reduced to only a Mini-Game character. I am disgusted seeing Red Boo instead of Boo. :( I kinda miss Toad's cute voice from Mario Party 1-3, actually...

Dreyfus2006 said:
. . .Baseball is an American sport (I think... I may be wrong), isn't it? So why would Italian characters from a Japanese game be playing it?. . .
Erm... Italy is rarely given mentions in Mario forms of media. It's most likely that Mario and Luigi are either from Brooklyn or lived out all their lives in the Mushroom Kingdom (the latter of which seems most likely based on recent, main game canon); despite their accents, Mario and Luigi seem to have no connection at all to Italy.

...pasta... And Italian phrases. >_> I simply consider them Italian-like.

Yeah, one of their gibberish phrases in PiT actually WAS understandable Italian... But then again, there are apparently a lot of Italian people in Brooklyn... I think...

Back