Do you beleive in Jesus?

Do You???

• Yes

Votes: 70 74.5%
  • No

Votes: 24 25.5%

• Total voters
Jeez, you can't trust anyone these days.
[quote author=" 1 Cor 11:5,6 "] But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered

[/quote]

I'm not a very naive, trusting person.

This is slightly taken out of context. If you read the chapter, it is talking about appearing in the congregation. It also says in that chapter that men should not have long hair, but you apparantly didn't notice that. As far as I can tell, it was accounting for cultural practices. If people went to work in swimsuits, wouldn't it be dishonorable in our culture? Same goes for church. It basically says that you should not appear in a dishonorable way before God, because it would dishonor the church.

Oh, and you should stop using the King James Version and switch to the New International Version.

>>King DDD
In your information, I'm one of the 18 non-believers.

Dr. Javelin said:
I'm not a very naive, trusting person.

This is slightly taken out of context. If you read the chapter, it is talking about appearing in the congregation. It also says in that chapter that men should not have long hair, but you apparantly didn't notice that. As far as I can tell, it was accounting for cultural practices. If people went to work in swimsuits, wouldn't it be dishonorable in our culture? Same goes for church. It basically says that you should not appear in a dishonorable way before God, because it
would dishonor the church.

Oh, and you should stop using the King James Version and switch to the New International Version.
That's interpreting it very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very loosely.

And you're interpreting it very very very-

I don't have time to type this on a 3DS. Just fill in a hundred verys and put strictly after them.

Yeah a lot of religious people don't follow the Bible to the word. Times change, even for the word of God.

BLT said:
The Bible says god never changes.

eh wot?

Herr Shyguy said:
Times change

My point was that if God handed down his word, what, 5000 years ago or something, it's not necessarily all going to be applicable to the 21st century. That's why we don't stone heathens in the street anymore, and a lot of Christians don't think we should because they understand that it's not all relevant to the modern day.

Are you suggesting that god is time?

EDIT: The above was before Shyguy27 expanded his post.

Many Christians still follow shit from the Old Testament.

Herr Shyguy said:
My point was that if God handed down his word, what, 5000 years ago or something, it's not necessarily all going to be applicable to the 21st century. That's why we don't stone heathens in the street anymore, and a lot of Christians don't think we should because they understand that it's not all relevant to the modern day.
But that's not true. It is relevant. A lot of stuff in there is very useful to help you become a better person. The thing about stoning non-believers must have a different meaning than you think, as God does not want Christians to kill them, he wants Christians to help them.

What you said:

Fawfulfury65 said:
But that's not true. It is relevant. A lot of stuff in there is very useful to help you become a better person. The thing about stoning non-believers must have a different meaning than you think, as God does not want Christians to kill them, he wants Christians to help them.

What you meant:

Fawfulfury65 said:
Help people by giving them marijuana.

Fawfulfury65 said:
Herr Shyguy said:
When god says he wants you to "stone" them, he really means he wants you to "help" them! :D

Just like when he says not to kill like in the ten commandments, he really means kill people! :D

That would make sense because the Bible encourages killing people.

That verse is not telling me to go out and stone everyone that doesn't believe in God. In that part of the Bible, God told Moses that everyone that curses God must be put to death as a punishment.

I'm apparently not good at explaining things, so maybe you should go read it for yourself.

Fawfulfury65 said:
That verse is not telling me to go out and stone everyone that doesn't believe in God. In that part of the Bible, God told Moses that everyone that curses God must be put to death as a punishment.

I'm apparently not good at explaining things, so maybe you should go read it for yourself.
Read the last few pages. Every time BLT here reads a passage he focus his attention to one section and only translate it as acts of immorality.

Fawfulfury65 said:
Herr Shyguy said:
Yes, plenty of it is still relevant. Which is what I said.

Herr Shyguy said:
Fawfulfury65 said:
Herr Shyguy said:
Some is relevant, some isn't. Obviously we aren't following the unclean rules thing, are we? Pig meat was banned in the Old Testament because there were no health protocols and many people who ate pig meat died. Now bacon is perfectly safe to eat. Good thing too. ^^

Dr. Javelin said:
Herr Shyguy said:
Fawfulfury65 said:
Herr Shyguy said:
Some is relevant, some isn't. Obviously we aren't following the unclean rules thing, are we? Pig meat was banned in the Old Testament because there were no health protocols and many people who ate pig meat died. Now bacon is perfectly safe to eat. Good thing too. ^^
Because we talked about how Christianity frowns upon homosexuality before, I'd like to point something out to Dr. Javelin:

They guy who plays Gandalf is gay. :P

So? Tolkien was a Christian author and he wrote the books with Gandalf in them, so in reality, it's pretty Christian.

http://www.be-ready.org/tolkien.html

Gandalf is a Christ figure. Honestly. Even if Ian McKellen is gay, the ideals that he portrays aren't.

Besides, you're really missing the point of this topic. I am not the focus of this thread. And I'm not going to change my avatar.

Plus, I already knew that he was.

Hey everyone I'm back how have you guys been doing? Well Ive come back to see whats going on and it looks like an interesting debate. Can someone who is an atheist explain to me for what reasons they are an atheist?

evangelism - doing it wrong:

General bob-omb said:
Hey everyone I'm back how have you guys been doing? Well Ive come back to see whats going on and it looks like an interesting debate. Can someone who is an atheist explain to me for what reasons they are an atheist?

Back