What Movies Have You Seen Recently?

The Shape of Water

glad del toro saw ET as a kid and thought "i want to do that but with more sex"

Barbie in Rock 'N Royals

Just avoid the trailers. They're full of spoilers, like most Barbie movies unfortunately. Thankfully I watched the actual movie before the trailers.

I'm saying that unfortunately, most Barbie movie trailers spoil the endings to their respective movies, especially Barbie in the Nutcracker. Not only has the ending to that film been shown in trailers, but in TV commercials for the merchandise as well!

Barbie Spy Squad

Even though it felt like a Totally Spies episode stretched to 76 minutes, it was pretty awesome and action-packed!

I must really love Barbie movies. I seem to watch Barbie movie after Barbie movie.

Also, I'm pumped for the upcoming Barbie live-action film!

Get Out (it was good)
Bright (it was not)
Kong: Skull Island (it was essentially King Kong without the terrible ending, so I enjoyed it)

Nabber said:
why... why would you ever watch bright

Honestly? I didn't know about Max Landis being garbage at the time, so the only reason was because it was directed by David Ayer, and I liked Suicide Squad. It actually took me two attempts because I turned it off after 15 minutes and then almost fell asleep when I decided to finish it.

Mario4Ever said:
Kong: Skull Island (it was essentially King Kong without the terrible ending, so I enjoyed it)
What issue do you have with the traditional Kong ending? I loved Skull Island, but avoiding the original ending wasn't really a reason for me. And outside of featuring Kong and Skull Island, it actually has very little in common with the original Kong. It feels more like Jurassic Park or a Showa era Godzilla film.

Maybe "it was beauty killed the beast" was more poignant in 1933 than when Jack Black says it in 2005 (the latter is what I've seen), but the circumstances of Kong's death never felt believable to me, especially now that I've seen Skull Island. What stands out most to me from King Kong is a bunch of people getting killed by the fauna of the island while trying to incapacitate Kong, and in that sense, Skull Island is very similar to it.

I guess they're similar in that regard. I was thinking more in terms of theme and tone. I've always found Kong (at least American interpretations) to be a tragic character. In all American continuities he's doomed to die. Even the Son of Kong met his untimely end. The Japanese Kongs, from King Kong vs. Godzilla and King Kong Escapes are treated as kaiju and are more in line with the indestructible monsters of the Godzilla canon. Skull Island retains some of that tragedy with Kong being the only surviving member of his species, but with the way Kong is presented in the movie along with his increased size, this incarnation truly is a kaiju and feels the closest to his 1962 Toho incarnation not just in terms of sense of scale and power, but even his look. I feel as the MonsterVerse advances, we'll see him continue to evolve and be more in line with the Toho Kong. I doubt he'll ever meet the same fate as his other American Kong counterparts.

Or maybe Godzilla just straight up murders him in Godzilla vs. Kong. Who knows.

Speaking of King Kong, the 2005 one is on Netflix now and for some reason I'm kind of curious about it. What's your opinion on it?

It's a little too long, and at times it feels too derivative of the 33 film, but the love and passion for Kong is there. You can tell Peter Jackson is a big fan. Skull Island itself is a truly scary place and Jackson does a good job of showing it off. Lot of creepy monsters. Not a fan of Kong just looking like a giant silverback. I'm much more a fan of the bipedal look from the original and Kong: Skull Island. Though I do really like his relationship with Ann in this version. If you have three hours, I'd say give it a watch.

Batman Forever

The Riddler and Two-Face were absolutely perfect together and I loved every minute of them onscreen.

Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters

Meh. It feels mostly like a set up for the rest of the anime trilogy, so I hope those are better. Wasn't a fan of a lot of the characters. Though the world building was great and I'd love to see where they take the alien creatures in the future.

Wasn't a huge fan of the Godzilla Filius, but Godzilla Earth was pretty badass. That first roar of his was badass. Have high hopes for Mechagodzilla in the future.

Back