What Movies Have You Seen Recently?

This may come as a shock for you guys but I still believe in Shyamalan, he's one of my favorite directors. while his recent movies are shit, he made The Sixth Sense (which he was nominated for Best Director and Screenwriter), and Signs which are both great movies and I'm looking forward to his reunion with Bruce Willis in Labor of Love which sounds like it could be his big comeback.

supermariofan said:
This may come as a shock for you guys but I still believe in Shyamalan, he's one of my favorite directors. while his recent movies are *bleep*, he made The Sixth Sense (which he was nominated for Best Director and Screenwriter), and Signs which are both great movies and I'm looking forward to his reunion with Bruce Willis in Labor of Love which sounds like it could be his big comeback.

After The Happening and The Last Airbender (ESPECIALLY The Last Airbender), I've lost all hope for him

Shyamalan got a few good movies off sheer dumb luck. Ever since he's proven his only tactic is "OOH! A TWIST!", and he can't even do that well.

Baby Luigi said:
supermariofan said:
This may come as a shock for you guys but I still believe in Shyamalan, he's one of my favorite directors. while his recent movies are *bleep*, he made The Sixth Sense (which he was nominated for Best Director and Screenwriter), and Signs which are both great movies and I'm looking forward to his reunion with Bruce Willis in Labor of Love which sounds like it could be his big comeback.

After The Happening and The Last Airbender (ESPECIALLY The Last Airbender), I've lost all hope for him
Yes The Last Airbender was crap but here's the thing: It's based off of a show I don't really care for

supermariofan said:
Yes The Last Airbender was crap but here's the thing: It's based off of a show I don't really care for
So what? If I watch a movie that's good but based off a show I had no interest in, would that change the fact that it's a good movie?

GalacticPetey said:
The thing about Last Airbender is that it sucks whether you're a fan of the show or not.

It's like Godzilla '98

You don't have to be a fan of the source material to absolutely abhor the said movie.

his point is likely that he doesn't consider it to be the worst abomination ever because it didn't really mess up the source material that he loved

i mean sure it's a bad movie but not having watched the show it didn't look like the worst movie ever

GalacticPetey said:
The thing about Last Airbender is that it sucks whether you're a fan of the show or not.

Again I didn't think it was that bad
I mean it wasn't really good
But I don't think it sucked

also I'm not an aang fan korra forever woo

But it's an adaption of a show. the criticisms of it not staying true to the source material are very valid

Baby Luigi said:
But it's an adaption of a show. the criticisms of it not staying true to the source material are very valid

that's true.
But those criticisms are always going to be there with any adaptation
It does not make a movie bad, it just makes it a bad representation

Baby Luigi said:
but we don't care if we haven't seen the source material! that's his point

i thought the percy jackson movie was a travesty, but everyone who hadn't read the book thought it was at worst a decent movie. that tells me that other than messing up what the book did, it was a fairly good movie, despite me hating it

Dr. Javelin said:
i thought the percy jackson movie was a travesty, but everyone who hadn't read the book thought it was at worst a decent movie. that tells me that other than messing up what the book did, it was a fairly good movie, despite me hating it

yet again
another movie I liked
though yeah compared to the book it was pretty crap

GalacticPetey said:
It's like Hollywood like's screwing over my favorite franchises.

Godzilla, DBZ, and The Last Airbender. Please don't touch Zelda.
i was under the impression you liked the new godzilla movie

Dr. Javelin said:
GalacticPetey said:

i was under the impression you liked the new godzilla movie
Godzilla 98.

GalacticPetey said:

they ruin smash bros. next

just you watch

GalacticPetey said:
But it still doesn't downgrade my hopes for one my favorite directors. I get tired of people going "All hope is loss for Shyamalan"! Guess what? No director is perfect! There are so many acclaimed directors who can make bad movies just look at Francis Ford Coppola, he made The Godfather Trilogy, Apocalypse Now, The Rainmaker, Dracula, The Conversation, and he wrote Patton. But uh oh he made Jack, Twixt, and Gardens of Stone I guess we should hate him now. My point is just because an acclaimed director made some crap doesn't mean he's a complete hack, and comparing Shyamalan to least talented directors such as Michael Bay, Uwe Boll, Seltzer-Berg, Tyler Perry, and McG is really harsh

supermariofan said:
GalacticPetey said:
But it still doesn't downgrade my hopes for one my favorite directors. I get tired of people going "All hope is loss for Shyamalan"! Guess what? No director is perfect! There are so many acclaimed directors who can make bad movies just look at Francis Ford Coppola, he made The Godfather Trilogy, Apocalypse Now, The Rainmaker, Dracula, The Conversation, and he wrote Patton. But uh oh he made Jack, Twixt, and Gardens of Stone I guess we should hate him now. My point is just because an acclaimed director made some crap doesn't mean he's a complete hack, and comparing Shyamalan to least talented directors such as Michael Bay, Uwe Boll, Seltzer-Berg, Tyler Perry, and McG is really harsh
There's a difference between a good director having a few stumbles and a bad director churning out a diamond in the rough.

Tuxedo Ridley said:
supermariofan said:
GalacticPetey said:
There's a difference between a good director having a few stumbles and a bad director churning out a diamond in the rough.
Shyamalan is the first

No. No he's not. He produced a couple strong movies early on, but since then he's merely built a mountain of busts.

Signs and The Sixth sense are his only good movies. Everything he has made since has sucked. Sure, he can make another good movie, but I don't think he deserves all the praise he's received. They thought he'd be the next Spielberg.

And The Last Airbender is awful. Not as a fan of the show, but as a movie critic. Show, don't tell is the basic concept of film. The Last Airbender works like an emotionless reading of a really bad script.

Back