What Movies Have You Seen Recently?

Xanthium said:
The entire Saw series. Quite disappointed. It was gory, and I liked the ideas, but something was missing which made it not at all scary.

there are no scary movies

well except for texas chainsaw massacre

Xanthium said:
The entire Saw series. Quite disappointed. It was gory, and I liked the ideas, but something was missing which made it not at all scary.
In my opinion it's not meant to be scary.

The Family, I thought it was very good, the ending was slightly anti-climatic, but other that I enjoyed it, made me laugh a few times.

No-Face said:
Dr. Javelin said:
Mario4Ever said:
The Hunt for Red October
such a great movie
hmm, maybe i'll watch that
it's a spy...ish movie that's surprisingly intellectual, it's not just an action movie

also it has sean connery, who you probably don't know yet but he's basically renowned for being all-around awesome, considering he was one of the james bonds and he was pro in this movie and as dr. jones in indiana jones and the last crusade

anyways, if basic action doesn't do it for you, this movie is a step above that while still creating tension

I recommend it, Nabber. Not sure if you're familiar with Tom Clancy's work, but it's based on the book of the same name.

Mario4Ever said:
I recommend it, Nabber. Not sure if you're familiar with Tom Clancy's work, but it's based on the book of the same name.
I remember seeing the book somewhere, a book fair I think.
Dr. Javelin said:
No-Face said:
Dr. Javelin said:
Mario4Ever said:
The Hunt for Red October
such a great movie
hmm, maybe i'll watch that
it's a spy...ish movie that's surprisingly intellectual, it's not just an action movie

also it has sean connery, who you probably don't know yet but he's basically renowned for being all-around awesome, considering he was one of the james bonds and he was pro in this movie and as dr. jones in indiana jones and the last crusade

anyways, if basic action doesn't do it for you, this movie is a step above that while still creating tension
i've never really watched a spy movie, but is it kinda like inception in that it's an action movie that you actually have to think about?

because i really like inception, it's one of my favorite movies

No-Face said:
i've never really watched a spy movie, but is it kinda like inception in that it's an action movie that you actually have to think about?

because i really like inception, it's one of my favorite movies
in this movie, action is not the focus. it's more about the intrigue and tension

it's not really about trying to discern some philosophy either, it's just a very suspenseful movie that doesn't resort to action for all the danger

it's also got a pretty nice sense of humor and SEAN CONNERY

Pink Gold Giga12 said:
Return to Oz

So dark and creepy. I love it!
I need to watch that one.

Dr. Javelin said:
alright, that's all i needed to know.

now the question is: should i see this or the new x-men movie, considering i haven't seen either
lol neither

I decided to go watch The Amazing Spiderman 2 instead. My thoughts?

This movie is fabulous. Perhaps not the best superhero movie, and certainly not as good as Captain America: The Winter Soldier, but definitely a very, very good superhero movie.

It's a decent movie in the first and second acts, where it's helped by Spidey's fantastic acting (he's like a nicer Deadpool, which is awesome). The third act is where everything really comes together, though, and I can't really explain because SPOILERS!
So, the third act is where this movie really shines. For the, what, ten minutes they're together, Electro and Harry Osbourne are absolutely wonderful. They play off each other well, the serious but crazy Electro and the affably somewhat crazy Harry. Had some of the best exchanges in the movie, I think. It's really too bad we didn't see more of them, probably because Gwen and Peter were taking up most of the screentime.

Which brings me to Gwen. Hoo boy.

So yeah. There's all these parts with her and Peter where basically they can't decide whether they should be together or not because 1. it's dangerous 2. Gwen wants her own life but 3. they both love each other a lot. Like Peter says, it's complicated. But they share great chemistry and you (or at least I did) find yourself hoping for them to be together. And at the end, Peter decides screw it - he'll just follow Gwen to England when she joins Oxford, they can be together after all, this should be fun, right? I didn't really come to this movie to watch their romance but it was well done. Heck, Gwen even decides that she's going to help Peter out and save the city, which is pretty cool and something every romantic interest should do, right?

Then she dies.

Suddenly all the little moments in this romance that kind of bothered you but you watched anyway are really, really sad. It's a really stunning moment, because this is exactly why Peter wanted to stay away from Gwen. Ouch. That's just painful.

But he recovers from it because he listens to her graduation speech, where she said something about life being precious because we aren't immortal and how we never should give up hope, and that helps him keep fighting. Wonderful. Suddenly the romance that I was kinda iffy on through the movie comes full swing and is crucial to the plot and makes it much, much better.
It's great though, not the best superhero movie but definitely worth a watch. While the abundance of Gwen/Peter scenes are kind of annoying at first, they make sense by the end of the movie. Trust me. Act III is where this movie takes the (somewhat) uninteresting first and second acts and turns them into a great, great story.

Most people I know hated ASM2. I decided to skip it because I don't really have an urge to see it and I have better things to spend my money on. Like seeing Godzilla twice.

I saw the new X-men movie, I'm not a superhero person but I was looking forward to it and this is The Dark Knight of Marvel movies! I love the performances ( particularly Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Hugh Jackman, James McAvoy, and Patrick Stewart ), I love the emotion they put in, the visuals are great, and ( like The Dark Knight ) they keep all the action sequences balanced so we could have time for character development, however there are some historical inaccuracies that threw me off, and there are some mutants that are pointless. Overall this is the best X-men movie and the best superhero movie of the year! 10/10

Haven't seen the new X-Men, but I doubt it could manage to replace Spider-Man 2 for me.

I saw X-Men: Days of Future Past earlier today with my co-worker and his sister.

...Just so you all know, some of what I have to say about this movie is based around this review I saw beforehand. So some of you might want to take some time to go watch it for yourselves to get a better understanding of where I'm coming from (spoiler warning).

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/9253-X-Men-Days-of-Future-Past

With this in mind, here's what I have to say about the movie.

I can pretty much agree with this guy on 3 things:

1.) Yeah, it's stupid how Shadowcat suddenly has the ability to send people's consciousness back in time and there's literally no explanation as to how she got that power or how it's connected to her normal power.

2.) Wolverine IS kind of dull/overrated. Not that Hugh Jackman isn't awesome as Wolverine, but it feels like his healing power being able to undo Shadowcat's made-up-on-the-spot time-travel power was there just to make Wolverine the "protagonist", or at the very least, make him one of the main focuses... even though it seems to be more about Professor X trying to prevent Mystique from doing something that will do more harm then good.

3.) Yeah, it does feel like the series is jogging in place a bit, but then again, after X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine, we could use a bit of a reboot. I haven't seen First Class yet, and from the looks of things, it doesn't look like this necessarily undoes THAT since this takes place after the Cuban Missile Crisis... Though as I recall, apparently the mutants that were in that movie that weren't in the first two X-Men movies apparently died inbetween First Class and this movie, which does kind of suck.

All that aside, freaking awesome movie. I think maybe it's because I saw the first two (or perhaps just the second) X-Men movie a long time ago that I don't remember them as well, but seeing this new movie with the perspective as an adult is very refreshing! Hell, when I was a kid/dumb teenager, still in a weird phase where only cartoons interested me (as opposed to still being interested in cartoons but now also expanding my horizons to live-action), I didn't really pay attention to all that much in the movies. The only thing I could do was connect the movies to the X-Men: Evolution TV series I was watching/was most familiar with at the time. Now that I'm older and I "get" a lot more of what the X-Men are about, I could appreciate what was going on a lot more, especially since I could understand their motivations better.

Oh, one more thing I can agree upon: the action was great! Seeing all those mutant powers being put to good use was a thrill to watch. My co-worker/friend pointed out, too, that all the action scenes weren't just there for the sake of an action scene, they served a purpose in the story, or at the very least, helped move the story along. They were also highly entertaining to watch!

Really, I was just on the edge of my seat the whole time, because I was genuinely concerned if Wolverine/Logan would be able to pull this off. It really did seem like several characters were unwilling to cooperate and/or understood what was going to happen but used the information to their advantage, specifically Magneto. I kind of "knew" he would do something drastic to prevent the horrible future that awaited them... though killing Mystique wasn't what I was expecting (though it does make sense, seeing as it was her DNA that lead to the creation of the nigh invincible Sentinels). Hell, since it was so long since I've seen the other movies, not to mention I had no idea how this movie would end, I was really curious as to whether or not Mystique or any of the characters would make it out alive. And really, Magneto's so powerful that at times I wondered just who could possibly stop him in times of desperation...

Speaking of desperate times, Professor X continuously trying to convince Mystique really had me intrigued. I'm not a comic book fan and I only have passing familiarity with X-Men characters, but the idea that Mystique could be swayed to not be evil, or rather not to continue the cycle of hatred, was something that I was genuinely curious about. When Mystique managed to knock out Magneto and was about to shoot the short guy (yeah, forgot his name, sorry), I was practically biting my nails; would she really let her hatred for what that man did to her fellow mutants get to her or will she stop this cycle of hatred before it even begins?

I guess I should mention QuickSilver now. Unlike MovieBob, I really liked QuickSilver; I found him really funny, his personality matched his powers, and his big scene during the break-out from the Pentagon was so brilliant, I was laughing and fidgeting with excitement the whole time! Though yeah, one does have to wonder why they don't use him more; like he'd be insanely useful form there on out, though then again, maybe he'd side with his father Magneto and that definitely wouldn't have been good. Besides, yeah, it does kind of feel like he's there because Fox and Marvel/Disney are still fussing over character copyright for their movies.

Speaking of which, this is something I wanted to bring up as soon as I saw this movie... If X-Men movies keep making money, and are about as good as this movie is, I honestly wouldn't mind if the rights never revery back to Marvel. I'd prefer to see Fantastic Four go back to Marvel (the characters associated with that universe feel better fit to being part of the whole Marvel universe), and I DEFINITELY want to see Spider-Man get taken out of Sony's hands, if only so that we stop getting these completely soulless, passionless Spider-Man movies from them. But the X-Men? I think they have enough characters and themes going for them to sustain themselves for a while. Not to mention, there's a teaser after the credits that leads into the next movie, which is going to be called "X-Men: Apocalypse" and is going to be released in 2016, and I'm looking forward to it!

So yeah, all-in-all, REALLY good movie. Don't really have much to complain about, I just really liked it! Not sure how to judge it when compared to the previous X-Men movies or the other Marvel movies since I barely remember the older X-Men movies... maybe I should revisit them... while skipping over The Last Stand and Origins: Wolverine, since I'm guessing I won't be missing much from them. Highly recommended.

There was a score here, but I decided against it; this wasn't really a "review" so much as my general impressions on the movie, and thus I don't really feel like ranking it is all that far if I don't give it a proper critique.

I saw The Immigrant directed by James Gray (The Yards and We own the Night, pretty underrated movies), this movie had great performances from Marion Cotillard, Joaquin Phoenix and Jeremy Renner. You actually feel for Marion Cotillard trying to get her sister back, you love to hate Joaquin Phoenix as this guy who thinks he's trying to help Marion Cotillard when really he's an asshole, Jeremy Renner is a likeable charming magician who actually helps Marion Cotillard, the cinematography is gorgeous it reminds me of The Illusionist, the production design is beautiful, and the score is beautiful to listen to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MsJYEIiIfs

X-Men: Days of Future Past

Cool movie. The plot's okay, but it's the consistently awesome action scenes and the fun and interesting characters that really make the film as good as it is.

The pentagon sequence was my favourite part; I hope QuickSilver will be in more films, and when that Jim Croce song came on, I nearly died: it just made the scene perfect. Loved the dynamics between Xavier and Magneto, past and present, and how the film was all about friendship and kinship, with no romantic sideplot for a change (I can't remember the last completely platonic film I saw). Also, Blink's thinking with Portals, oh yeah. Usually I don't care for "change the past" time-travel plots at all, and even here, I thought the complete retconning of everything in the series so far (except First Class and other pre-1073 stuff) was kinda cheap, but the link between the past and future at least meant the future fight scenes and all the deaths were important and even compelling, and not "watch them kill off beloved characters for the lulz", like most TV shows wind up as when they do this sorta plot.

Dr. Javelin said:
Mario4Ever said:
The Hunt for Red October
such a great movie
Per, and I agree with everyone recommending it. It's been one of my favourite movies ever since I was a little kid: it never gets old. Great tension, great action, great characters, great humour, and great effects too.

And the book's pretty awesome as well: a real page-turner, with enough differences from the film to still be nail-biting.

Walkazo said:
X-Men: Days of Future Past

Cool movie. The plot's okay, but it's the consistently awesome action scenes and the fun and interesting characters that really make the film as good as it is.

The pentagon sequence was my favourite part; I hope QuickSilver will be in more films, and when that Jim Croce song came on, I nearly died: it just made the scene perfect. Loved the dynamics between Xavier and Magneto, past and present, and how the film was all about friendship and kinship, with no romantic sideplot for a change (I can't remember the last completely platonic film I saw). Also, Blink's thinking with Portals, oh yeah. Usually I don't care for "change the past" time-travel plots at all, and even here, I thought the complete retconning of everything in the series so far (except First Class and other pre-1073 stuff) was kinda cheap, but the link between the past and future at least meant the future fight scenes and all the deaths were important and even compelling, and not "watch them kill off beloved characters for the lulz", like most TV shows wind up as when they do this sorta plot.

I think I remember hearing something about Quicksilver having a larger role in the next movie.

I personally think the best thing about the movie was how X3 doesn't exist anymore :') and even if there are still some continuity issues (Stryker is everywhere), it gives them more of a clean slate to work with.

Back