Akira Toriyama passes away

Pink Cat

Not always pink, not always a cat
Pronouns
Kie/Mer
Toriyama was an artist that I looked up to greatly. When I was 10 or younger I was introduced to Dragon Quest. I used to surf the wiki for long periods of time, reading up on the franchise and looking at his artwork. To achieve something artistically on his level was a goal of mine as an artist for years, and in a different way from back then, still is. When I would sketch during school, drawing my ideas for video games, his work was constantly on my mind, the way he would draw faces and the proportions of the body were a massive inspiration. When I tried and failed to make my own comic series at age twelve, he was yet again an influence. Similar feelings of admiration have been echoed by millions upon millions of people globally. He was so incredibly influential and will continue to be, his impact on the world won't be so easily forgotten by time.

It just feels so incredibly cruel for him to be taken away so suddenly, in such a painful way. If there's one thing he's taught so so so so so many people with his work, it's that we are strong and humanity will continue to persevere. Even through all the heart-wrenching pain, let's all keep fighting for a better tomorrow.

I'm not a fan of Dragon Ball yet, but I think I will become one sometime. Even though I am currently not a fan of the franchise, this is still very very sad. I'm a fan of Dragon Quest and all the Square Enix stuff including it, so I'm sad about this too.

Back