Plotholes that Super Mario Movie sequel needs to fill?

Dorayakiss

Goomba
It's been long time since I post anything here. I know I miss the train for quite long time, but I'd be glad if it still brings some discussion and speculation.

We know the movie didn't do exactly the same with regular game canon. Some are for proper adaption, while some seem to not be for same reason.

1707561978095.png

1) Yoshi Island timeline cannot exist in Super Mario Movie, as Mario never met Peach and Yoshi before.

Somehow the contradiction comes from the fact Super Mario Movie's background is based on the very early canon from 1989's TV show when Yoshi has not yet appeared to re-write the whole canon.

The Yoshi Island and TV Show canon were already known to conflict with each other in early time, so as for Super Mario Movie, we're not quite sure if the first movie did try to do anything about it when it catered to TV show canon.

I can understand that the movie tries to let audience use the perspective of a stranger to a new world, not a veteran. But the major con in this would earase the meaning of babies and Yoshi from the original series. And given that Nintendo might not had put the sequel in plan, I don't think they left the plothole on purpose.

If they actually know it and want to fill it in the sequel, all they can do is:

a) Baby Mario bros actually went to Mushroom Kingdom before, but their memory got wiped out by Kamek's magic.

b) The whole Partner in Time story becomes the main plot of the sequel. Kamek's magic changes the history so that Baby Mario goes to Mushroom Kingdom, despite he never did in the original timeline.

------

2) Mario/Pauline/Donkey friendship triangle has not occured, at least in the current time of Super Mario Movie

I personally don't think Pauline only needed a cameo in first movie. While possibly because there weren't enough time, I can agree that if Pauline showed up to quickly, she'd definitely try to help Mario's new business so that he would not want to move to Mushroom Kingdom.

But still Donkey and Mario's frenemyship already sails without Pauline, that's not quite like Nintendo who respects most canon settings in this movie. And it feels kinda disrespectful to Pauline's role in Mario world. Sure I hope that she can have other roles without Mario and Donkey, but her friendship with the two should still be acknowledged.

Hope that Pauline can have sufficient participation in the sequel or Donkey's own feature movie.

------

What else major / minor plotholes do you think the following movies needs to take care of?

Last edited:
I think the movie was always supposed to be its own canon that doesn't need to be consistent with the games.

I think the movie was always supposed to be its own canon that doesn't need to be consistent with the games.
That'd kinda miss the point to actually use references from past media and games which are mostly canonical, since there are not quite many new settings from the movie story.

It's safe to say the plotholes are mostly caused by the reconstruction of canon, not from the new story and settings which are mostly trivial. (Brooklyn citizens, Penguin Kingdom etc.) For comparison, Sonic Movie series looks more like the one to do a new canon.

If it has to be a new story they don't have to rebuild a canon. It can just be Mario's brand new adventure that nobody had ever seen before.

Last edited:
But the major con in this would earase the meaning of babies and Yoshi from the original series

good this backstory is tons better than the awful and traumatic babynapping in the games

That'd kinda miss the point to actually use references from past media and games which are mostly canonical, since there are not quite many new settings from the movie story.
I mean the whole point of them referencing things from past Mario media and the Mario games themselves is literally to just reference that stuff as a way to get the more 'hardcore' Mario fans to go 'I get that! I got the reference to that! I clapped, I clapped because they referenced a thing I know!'.

It's basically nerd-aimed movie referencing 101 at this point tbh.

I mean, how much does keeping everything 4000% canonical matter to Illumination or Nintendo. Like, try hard enough to make everything fit into game plots, and pretty soon you've got a messed up movie

I mean, how much does keeping everything 4000% canonical matter to Illumination or Nintendo. Like, try hard enough to make everything fit into game plots, and pretty soon you've got a messed up movie
Maybe matters when new audience are easily confused by how the games look actually different.

Also as I said
The Yoshi Island and TV Show canon were already known to conflict with each other in early time
Adaption can be encouraged, but definitely depends on how it works out. We do already have many plotholes in early canon that needs to be filled.
Such as, if they say Stanley works as a professional exterminator in Brooklyn, that can also be a positive adaption.

What this topic tries to point out is the potentially nagative part. Like, losing main characters' bonds isn't really a positive benefit for an adaption.

Literally no one is going to be confused by that fam.
Seems kinda subjective to assume that majority can get it easily.

Also this topic means to discuss whether the holes can be filled. Not necessarily assuming that the movie version needs to be different in long future.

Those aren't plot holes mate.

It's a movie with it's own story and take on the characters. It's very blatantly obvious.

The fact that Cranky is a king and not just an old codger by the beach should have made that very clear.

It's a movie with it's own story and take on the characters. It's very blatantly obvious.

Well I called that above already.

It's safe to say the plotholes are mostly caused by the reconstruction of canon, not from the new story and settings which are mostly trivial. (Brooklyn citizens, Penguin Kingdom etc.) For comparison, Sonic Movie series looks more like the one to do a new canon.

While Sonic franchise is indeed infamous for lots of media canons, they make better differences in each adaption, and the targeted teenage gamers also have better cognitive abilities to understand what's going on with the series history.

It's not even that they'll be confused
They just won't care
are you trying to imply that someone who starts playing the mario games after watching the mario movie won't be obsessively checking the mario wiki to read up on mario and it's super deep lore and super complex canon

The movie universe portraying current DK as the son of Cranky Kong as opposed to the grandson is enough to suggest to me it wasn't trying to be consistent with the games' lore. From all evidence provided, Donkey Kong Jr. doesn't even exist in the movie universe.

The movie universe portraying current DK as the son of Cranky Kong as opposed to the grandson is enough to suggest to me it wasn't trying to be consistent with the games' lore. From all evidence provided, Donkey Kong Jr. doesn't even exist in the movie universe.

While I see your point. I think this is part of what I said about "trivial" and also seems not to be a very wise way to differentiate the canons. Even the Arcade DK to DKC canon change was a much bigger deal to Marioverse.

The major logic hole in this one is, the movie obviously didn't try to tell a brand new story (if they want to start all over again instead of just making a new adventure). If they want to go with the re-construction route then what's the point to deny it again.

It's like you gave up West Point entry and choose the pastry art school. You're not suppose to demand firearm maintenance course there. Just bake the best cake to prove why you assinged this school.

Last edited:
Back