Is this a scam?

I was on Discord when I got a DM from a Discord friend I forgot about asking me for help, I replied to him with a jokey question before he told me he got hacked and he reported me as of a result. I don't know if this is some weird scam message or not, so can y'all help me?

1707171588250.png

EDIT: Here's the full version of that screenshot that's a part of his second message.
1707172176259.png

Last edited:
Seems a little strange. I'm more confused than anything. Why was there another account with your username, and why did he end up reporting you and not the user pretending to be you? Did he think that you and your impostor were the same person and he reported both accounts? Also, if he thought that you were trying to hack him, how did he realize that you were innocent and ended up apologizing to you??

The whole thing sounds sketchy as heck, but I don't know how he would be scamming you if he's not trying to get anything out of you. He could just be trolling, but there's also a good chance that he's telling the truth. So, I really couldn't tell you what's going on here.

EDIT: after viewing the email, I'm even more skeptical. There are grammatical errors left and right, which always means red flags. Also, why are they telling them to DM the head of Discord security on Discord? Why are they threatening to ban the user for reporting other users, and why are telling literally everybody to contact this corporate team? This makes no sense, and I have no idea if it actually came from Discord.

Last edited:
EDIT: after viewing the email, I'm even more skeptical. There are grammatical errors left and right, which always means red flags. Also, why are they telling them to DM the head of Discord security on Discord? Why are they threatening to ban the user for reporting other users, and why are telling literally everybody to contact this corporate team? This makes no sense, and I have no idea if it actually came from Discord.

The DM head of security on Discord thing is probably what made me confused. I tried DMing him back about it but he hasn't responded yet.

I saw this exact scenario playing out with a different set of Discord users just the other day.

Also, take note of the email message in the attachment. The wording is strange, with all sorts of errors. Furthermore, the instructions are suspect in and of themselves. DMing a random, unverified account isn't really how these matters are typically settled.

This is definitely a scam of some kind. You should disengage, and do not provide the user who contacted you with information, do not follow any of the instructions in the screenshot, and do not definitely do not provide any information to anyone (or any link) they direct you to.

Update: I forgot about posting this yesterday, but the user told me it was apparently a hacker posting those previous messages.
View attachment 41409

So they're saying they got hacked and the hacker blocked you through their account, and then they say them saying they got hacked was a result of being hacked, and they didn't get hacked the first time, but they actually got hacked the second time, and told you that they got hacked but they actually didn't but they actually did because the hacker was lying about being hacked and he hacked their account to say they got hacked, and then the actual user said he got hacked. So the user said the scam is a scam. Definitely a scam.

So they're saying they got hacked and the hacker blocked you through their account, and then they say them saying they got hacked was a result of being hacked, and they didn't get hacked the first time, but they actually got hacked the second time, and told you that they got hacked but they actually didn't but they actually did because the hacker was lying about being hacked and he hacked their account to say they got hacked, and then the actual user said he got hacked. So the user said the scam is a scam. Definitely a scam.
Yep. And he also removed the sussy messages today apparently. Thanks for the help from yesterday!

Back