The Grodus Topic

SolarBlaze

Guardian of the Sol Emeralds.
Retired Wiki Staff
I think Grodus is one of the best villains that the Mario series has ever seen. Grodus, in my opinion, had pretty much all the qualities that make a good villain; He was cold, ruthless, sadistic, and power-hungry, etc. He didn't have an ounce of sympathy or concern for anybody, not even his own henchmen (since he treated them like crap, but that only contributes to his character as a cruel and merciless villain). Other things I like about him are the fact that he's manipulative (as he demonstrated during the events of Chapter 7, where he tricked Lord Crump into guarding the last Crystal Star for him), he's psychotic, and he has the most hilarious maniacal laughter I've seen or heard from any villain. Also, let's not forget the part where he used Peach as a shield, threatening to kill her if Mario and his partners refused to surrender, which is another thing that clearly demonstrated just how evil this guy was. I personally wouldn't mind seeing him in another game. Unfortunately, that's never going to happen, since Nintendo always insists on permanently removing every main villain in the series except for Bowser. In fact, I think Grodus is a far better villain than Bowser ever was, but maybe that's just me.

I thought he was awesome, and I would love to see him in another game, but didn't he die.....I know Bowser and Mario have died many many many many times, but when another character dies, they're usually gone for good.

I really like Grodus but I think they did a very stupid censorship upon his death. Remember the epilogue when Goombella is telling Mario how everyone is after the game? She say´s Grodus survived, although very weakened. To my eyes, that was stupidly absurd... for the love of Miyamoto, he was BLEEPING DECAPITATED. Either they shouldn´t have decapitades him (to make sure he has still a possibility to appear in other games) or just kill him for good. The whole "he survived as just a head" is a silly try of censorship to my eyes.

Fun fact: Know what´s Grodus name in spanish is? Xenon. That was the Xbox360 codename when it was being made before it´s official name was revealed. And TEC was called CIM (First reverse sillabe of Microsoft. MIC in reverse = CIM). They made awesome puns against microsoft in the spanish version lol.

I replayed through Paper MArio TTDY and I don't know where SolarBlaze is coming from. Grodus is the archetypal "AAHAHAHAH i will conquer the world" boring bad guy.

Isn't that what most main villains want to do, though? They either want to rule the world, or they want to destroy it. In Grodus' case, it was both.

Maybe, but he has no real personality or characteristic.

Glowsquid said:
I disagree. Count Bleck was really cool and he wanted to destroy the world. Grodus is the same. He was just cool even though he was eventually outsmarted, he was pure evil, unlike Bowser and Count Bleck.

OMimistasia said:
Glowsquid said:
I disagree. Count Bleck was really cool and he wanted to destroy the world. Grodus is the same. He was just cool even though he was eventually outsmarted, he was pure evil, unlike Bowser and Count Bleck.
I agree. How doesn't Grodus have personality, exactly? Like I said in my above post, he was real cold, ruthless, and everything, and didn't care about anyone other than himself. It was towards the end of the game where his personality really began to shine, and he managed to prove just how evil he really is. Using Peach as a shield, and then torturing Mario and his partners is something neither Bower or any other villain has attempted. Also, there have been quite a few instances in the game where Grodus has proven himself as a complete psychopath, and this line is a prime example:

"I, Grodus, will create a new world! A perfect, ideal world... A world that's made by me, about me, and FOR me! GAAAACK ACK ACK ACK ACK!"

SolarBlaze said:
OMimistasia said:
Glowsquid said:
I agree. How doesn't Grodus have personality, exactly? Like I said in my above post, he was real cold, ruthless, and everything, and didn't care about anyone other than himself. It was towards the end of the game where his personality really began to shine, and he managed to prove just how evil he really is. Using Peach as a shield, and then torturing Mario and his partners is something neither Bower or any other villain has attempted. Also, there have been quite a few instances in the game where Grodus has proven himself as a complete psychopath, and this line is a prime example:

"I, Grodus, will create a new world! A perfect, ideal world... A world that's made by me, about me, and FOR me! GAAAACK ACK ACK ACK ACK!"
Exactly

Exor's that huge sword from Super Mario RPG, which was stuck at the top of Bowser's castle.

Anyway, getting back on topic, I also thought that Grodus had some pretty cool abilities in battle. He had elemental powers, just like the Shadow Sirens, the ability to freeze time, and not to mention shielding himself with the Grodus Xs, and being able to launch them.

SolarBlaze said:
Exor's that huge sword from Super Mario RPG, which was stuck at the top of Bowser's castle.

Anyway, getting back on topic, I also thought that Grodus had some pretty cool abilities in battle. He had elemental powers, just like the Shadow Sirens, the ability to freeze time, and not to mention shielding himself with the Grodus Xs, and being able to launch them.
Yeah, his x's were really annoying, but useful for his sake.

Back