Nintendo shutting down Wii U and Nintendo 3DS online functionality in April

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Pronouns
She/They

You'll still be able to redownload games and software you've already purchased (as well as download updates for your games) and they say that Pokémon Bank will remain online but it 'may also end at some point in the future', which tbh I wouldn't be surprised if Pokémon Bank doesn't last past the end of next year, if that.

Sucks ass either way. Like there is Pretendo but that hasn't even launched yet and is still in development.

Damn, that sucks. I might not have used the feature a whole lot throughout the years, but if online functionality for 3DS does end up shutting down, I won't be able to visit other towns through online play anymore in Animal Crossing: New Leaf.

I'm very sad to hear that. This means no more online functionality for SMM1 and therefore I need to download any levels I want to preserve. Thankfully re-downloading games and updates is still a thing though.

Yep that sucks I hope this at least means a new console is on the way next year but Nintendo probably won't announce it till like the day before it releases and they'll almost be ashamed of begrudgingly announcing it at that. I mean we knew this was coming but it almost seems they're cutting them off short as compared to the Wii.

Wii online lifespan: 2006-2014 (8 years)

3DS/Wii U online lifespan 2011/2012-2024 (13 years for 3DS, 12 for Wii U)

The latter two consoles' lasted longer than the Wii's @MegaBowser64

Last edited:
Wii online lifespan: 2006-2014 (8 years)

3DS/Wii U online lifespan 2011/12-2024 (13 years for 3DS, 12 for Wii U)

The latter two consoles' lasted longer than the Wii's @MegaBowser64
Also, the Wii only got less than two extra years of online support after its successor console came out, the 3DS and the Wii U will have had seven.

Still a shame to see it go, though. I suppose the writing was on the wall when they shut down the eShops.

Ngl there's something funny about Nintendo having brought back the servers for Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon on Wii U after being offline for literally 5 months in order to patch some security exploits and then like two months later they go 'Oh yeah btw all the online will go away forever next April lol'

Back