How do you check whether an image has colour correction metadata?

Koopa con Carne

call me Hot Lips, 'cause i'm a one-shot wonder
MarioWiki
Koopa con Carne
And the award for the most tech illiterate question goes to...

No, but seriously, it's not at all clear to me. When I use a metadata extractor, I don't know which variable corresponds to that.

According to the wiki, Bowser's NSMBWii artwork has colour correction metadata, a trait that should be preserved as per policy. I found a lower-res version of the artwork on Nintendo's website for which I would like to check the existent metadata; if it doesn't have colour correction metadata like the original artwork, I would deem it a separate variant and upload it on the wiki for use in an appropriate context.

Last edited:
For PNGs, one can use a chunk inspector for that, which I found one for online here. You'll be looking for chunks of these types in the table:
  • iCCP, which is a colour profile chunk (your Bowser image contains this)
  • gAMA, an image gamma chunk
  • cHRM, containing chromaticities
I have not investigated all chuck types extensively, but these three at least are good signs of images with some sort of colour-correcting metadata.

Now, I'm not really into wiki policies all that much, but I don't think image metadata is a reason to upload/replace/not replace/otherwise do something with images. But that is a matter wiki staff can better answer.

The lower-res image in question is listed with a gAMA chunk and a corresponding gamma value of 0.45455 in that chunk inspector. I take it that this value is what confers the image additional brightness, from the perspective of the human eye anyway.

Last edited:
Back