Super Mario RPG mafia (sign ups because I am bored)

Is this game good?

• It’s incredibly good.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It’s pretty good.

• It’s okay, I guess.

• I don’t want to say.

• Total voters

Bugzzy

“I'm the king of insects! And Avalance!”
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
OhoJeeOnFire
Oh no! Smithy and his troops have taken over the Mushroom kingdom!
Only Bowser and his troops can stop him!
Can they do it?

There are three factions: the Troops, the Weapons, and the Independents.

The Troops must eliminate all the Weapons, the Weapons must remove enough Troops to overpower them, and the Independents must complete their own objective to win. Winning doesn't end the game.

The game ends when either the Troops or the Weapons win.

(Numbers next to a role indicate how many players will have that role. No number means one.)

Voting lasts for 24 hours, ending at 1:00 pm. Intermission is also 24 hours, also ending at 1:00 pm.

Troop Roles:​
TroopAbility
1666968079989.gif

Terrapin (3)
Does absolutely nothing.
1666968576037.gif

Boo (2)
Can turn another troop invisible. The invisible Troop is protected and cannot be killed.
1667220325143.gif

Goomba (3)
Will show up as targeting a dead person the round that player was killed.
1667220501135.gif

Piranha Plant
After the fifth round, it can kill a player of its choice. It can only be done once and then it's basically a Terrapin.
1666968650110.gif

Dry Bones
Requires two consecutive attacks to kill.
1666968877361.gif

Magikoopa
Can identify someone else's role or revive a dead player.
1666968752706.gif

Bowser himself
Can vote twice to vote someone out. The second vote is private and it doesn't have to be the same person.

Weapon Roles:
Weapon RoleAbility
1666968948324.gif

Mack
Can disable someone else's ability each intermission, but the same person can't be hit twice in a row.
1666969140135.gif

Yaridovich
Role is revealed as a Terrapin.
1666969390000.gif

Smithy
Can't be identified correctly by Magikoopa. It will show up as a Terrapin.

Independent Roles:
Independent RoleGoal
1666969728331.gif

Belome
Search through some player's room to find some food. You win when you find it.
1666969806726.gif

Croco
Steal a dead player's alignment to join it. Complete the alignment's clear condition to win.
1666970014187.gif

Booster
Turn five players into Snifits to win. The transformation has a 25% chance of missing. Snifits get no additional benefits.

Players:

Replacements:​

Last edited:
First of all, I wouldn't expect much traction for any forum games at all before AKGO wraps up. That being said, I noticed several issues with the game design that I'd like to provide some feedback on for your benefit as a host.
  • Don't expect to get 22 players. That level of engagement with mafia is something you only see in special occasions or at least games with hosts who already have a very good track record. I don't know if you have a lower minimum amount of players in mind, but you really should have one. (Also, if you did have a minimum player count in mind, that's really something you should have already mentioned, not something to wait until someone asks about it.)
  • The player ratio isn't very good. Right now you have 11 innocents, 6 mafia, and 6 independents. That's way too few innocents and too many of the other factions. Generally it's a good idea to have about 25% mafia compared to the innocents, right now you have about 54% which is way too high. I would suggest getting rid of some independents and rebalancing the innocents and mafia accordingly.
  • The Terrapin role, if I'm understanding it right, seems too overpowered. By "attack" I assume this means that they can target a player during the night and make a kill attempt on them, which would make it an equivalent to the Vigilante. However, by adding the caveat that this won't work on other innocents, you've not only removed any of the risk involved (there's no chance of it backfiring by taking out a teammate), but you've also turned this into a pseudo-investigative role - if an attempt fails, there's a good chance the target is an innocent. The fact that there's three of these in play makes it even worse. If you want a Vigilante, there should only be one of them, they should be able to kill any player regardless of alignment, and there should be some limit on their power (Vigilantes usually only get one or two kill attempts for the whole game).
  • Bob-omb just doesn't seem fun as a role, and really just exists to punish the mafia for trying to fulfill their win condition. It could even result in a situation where the game is completely unwinnable for the mafia if there's still two of them remaining and only one mafia. I would take this out completely.
  • Dry Bones is fine, but having two of them is a bit much. Limiting it to just one of these would be better.
  • Revivals shouldn't be included at all, there definitely shouldn't be three roles that can do it, and there absolutely shouldn't be no apparent limitations on the use of this power. I strongly suggest removing player revivals. Once that's taken out, Magikoopa is fine as the standard Cop, but there should only be one of them.
    • Also, having a mafia player that can revive is just an odd choice, since they'll obviously only benefit from reviving their teammates. Yaridovich can pretty much prevent the innocents from making any progress by reviving any mafia player that gets voted out until the innocents find them, which isn't fun.
  • Punchinello and Dodo are both pretty clearly town-aligned, which isn't good for an independent. Their win conditions are both things that an innocent would be trying to do, and they directly harm the mafia. Independents aren't supposed to be just players that have an alternate win condition, they should ideally be roles where the player can choose to ally themselves with either faction.
    • Croco also falls into this a bit as well, though not quite as bad, since it benefits from at least one mafia being dead. And honestly, it just seems boring. You just wait until a mafia dies, and then you win, I guess? Definitely doesn't warrant there being two of them. I would suggest cutting all four of these, at which point you're left with two independents (Belome and Booster) which is a fine number, I think. Alternatively you could just remove independents entirely and have this be just innocent vs. mafia, they don't seem to add that much in this case anyway.
Aside from game mechanics, asking for a co-host who can take over for you if you're just not here is a bit worrying and doesn't speak well to you being confident that you'll be able to host. There's nothing wrong with having a co-host (I've been one, after all), but if you do, it should probably be with someone that you talked with about the game beforehand, not asking for volunteers to step in and host your game. If you're not confident that you can actually see your game through, then you should probably be thinking about whether you should host at all at this time.

First of all, I wouldn't expect much traction for any forum games at all before AKGO wraps up. That being said, I noticed several issues with the game design that I'd like to provide some feedback on for your benefit as a host.
  • Don't expect to get 22 players. That level of engagement with mafia is something you only see in special occasions or at least games with hosts who already have a very good track record. I don't know if you have a lower minimum amount of players in mind, but you really should have one. (Also, if you did have a minimum player count in mind, that's really something you should have already mentioned, not something to wait until someone asks about it.)
  • The player ratio isn't very good. Right now you have 11 innocents, 6 mafia, and 6 independents. That's way too few innocents and too many of the other factions. Generally it's a good idea to have about 25% mafia compared to the innocents, right now you have about 54% which is way too high. I would suggest getting rid of some independents and rebalancing the innocents and mafia accordingly.
  • The Terrapin role, if I'm understanding it right, seems too overpowered. By "attack" I assume this means that they can target a player during the night and make a kill attempt on them, which would make it an equivalent to the Vigilante. However, by adding the caveat that this won't work on other innocents, you've not only removed any of the risk involved (there's no chance of it backfiring by taking out a teammate), but you've also turned this into a pseudo-investigative role - if an attempt fails, there's a good chance the target is an innocent. The fact that there's three of these in play makes it even worse. If you want a Vigilante, there should only be one of them, they should be able to kill any player regardless of alignment, and there should be some limit on their power (Vigilantes usually only get one or two kill attempts for the whole game).
  • Bob-omb just doesn't seem fun as a role, and really just exists to punish the mafia for trying to fulfill their win condition. It could even result in a situation where the game is completely unwinnable for the mafia if there's still two of them remaining and only one mafia. I would take this out completely.
  • Dry Bones is fine, but having two of them is a bit much. Limiting it to just one of these would be better.
  • Revivals shouldn't be included at all, there definitely shouldn't be three roles that can do it, and there absolutely shouldn't be no apparent limitations on the use of this power. I strongly suggest removing player revivals. Once that's taken out, Magikoopa is fine as the standard Cop, but there should only be one of them.
    • Also, having a mafia player that can revive is just an odd choice, since they'll obviously only benefit from reviving their teammates. Yaridovich can pretty much prevent the innocents from making any progress by reviving any mafia player that gets voted out until the innocents find them, which isn't fun.
  • Punchinello and Dodo are both pretty clearly town-aligned, which isn't good for an independent. Their win conditions are both things that an innocent would be trying to do, and they directly harm the mafia. Independents aren't supposed to be just players that have an alternate win condition, they should ideally be roles where the player can choose to ally themselves with either faction.
    • Croco also falls into this a bit as well, though not quite as bad, since it benefits from at least one mafia being dead. And honestly, it just seems boring. You just wait until a mafia dies, and then you win, I guess? Definitely doesn't warrant there being two of them. I would suggest cutting all four of these, at which point you're left with two independents (Belome and Booster) which is a fine number, I think. Alternatively you could just remove independents entirely and have this be just innocent vs. mafia, they don't seem to add that much in this case anyway.
Aside from game mechanics, asking for a co-host who can take over for you if you're just not here is a bit worrying and doesn't speak well to you being confident that you'll be able to host. There's nothing wrong with having a co-host (I've been one, after all), but if you do, it should probably be with someone that you talked with about the game beforehand, not asking for volunteers to step in and host your game. If you're not confident that you can actually see your game through, then you should probably be thinking about whether you should host at all at this time.
All right, I fixed quite a few things. I did most of the things you said, but I kept Croco and just changed his win condition. It should be great now.

Back