How can I convince my brother to watch Spirited Away with me?

LoudyKaizoku

Goomba
Pronouns
he/him
First off, a bit of context.

My brother is slightly younger than me (I am 17, while he is 15, but he turns 16 in November). He is mainly into Marvel and Star Wars, but he also likes animated movies quite a lot, too. However, for whatever reason, he has never gotten into anime. Yeah, he watched Ponyo, Totoro, and a bit of Star Wars: Visions, but aside from that, nothing else.

As stellar as Spirited Away is, everytime I suggest it to him, he always says no. Perhaps I am kind of a jerk, because I feel like I am forcing it on him.

However, I really want to show him what a masterpiece of animation it is. Plus, with me going off to college next year, watching movies with my bro won't be as regular as it is.

So, people of the forums, I ask you this question: How can I convince my brother, who isn't much of an anime fan, to watch Spirited Away with me?

My brother is slightly younger than me (I am 17, while he is 15, but he turns 16 in November). He is mainly into Marvel and Star Wars, but he also likes animated movies quite a lot, too. However, for whatever reason, he has never gotten into anime. Yeah, he watched Ponyo, Totoro, and a bit of Star Wars: Visions, but aside from that, nothing else.

As stellar as Spirited Away is, everytime I suggest it to him, he always says no. Perhaps I am kind of a jerk, because I feel like I am forcing it on him.

However, I really want to show him what a masterpiece of animation it is. Plus, with me going off to college next year, watching movies with my bro won't be as regular as it is.

So, people of the forums, I ask you this question: How can I convince my brother, who isn't much of an anime fan, to watch Spirited Away with me?
Hmm…I've seen Spirited Away a few times, but I always get scared whenever I view it. There is this one character that has a creepy looking mask, as well as several dark figures, but no jump-scares as far as I know. Maybe he thinks the film might be a little too frightening for his liking. You mentioned him seeing Ponyo and Totoro, which are a lot less scary than Spirited Away, but I'm not so sure about Star Wars: Visions, as I haven't seen it (or any other Star Wars media). Perhaps you should promise to hold him close during the scary parts or at least assure him that the movie isn't as scary as he thinks it is. I think that'll convince him to watch it with you. What do you think about this?

I mean if he doesn't want to watch it, don't try and get him to watch it?

Like yeah you can talk about how great Spirited Away is and all that but if he's not interested in seeing it, don't keep trying to force it?

You said he likes marvel and star wars stuff so I'm going to make the assumption he likes things with lots of action. You also mention that he has seen Totoro and Ponyo but you don't mention if he likes them or not. There is definitely not as much action in those films. That's not that it's a bad thing necessarily, but maybe he thought they were boring and is assuming that Spirited Away will be the same as those. Which brings me to my suggestion: try to get him to watch Princess Mononoke instead since that seems like it fits in more with his tastes. If he likes that then you might have an easier time convincing him to watch Spirited Away after that.

Or you know, just ignore all that and say "hey let's watch a movie I'll pick this time then you can pick next time" then pick Spirited Away. Then honor his request the next time.

I've never seen Spirited Away. You can practice on me and make your pitch here if you want to test it out.

Similar to Meta's suggestion, I reckon you organise a movie day where you each bring a movie the other hasn't seen and watch them both. So you each share a thing. It's not just you forcing your interest on him.

A cheeky option would be waiting until your birthday and ask him to watch the movie with you as your birthday gift.

But if those ideas don't work maybe he's just not into the idea and move on. Not everyone is going to like the same stuff.

I also agree that Princess Mononoke will be more palpable than Spirited Away if your bro prefers action-y films. Akira would be a good option as well.

If he doesnt want let him be

Back