Things you like in games you otherwise dislike (both Mario and not)

Nate Jacobs

WHAT THE FUCK? WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
The Shadow Prince
Self-explanatory

The scene from Sonic '06 where Shadow kicks Silver is still a classic many years later

Inteleon and Corviknight are great Pokémon

Mario Kart 64 is a terrible game all considered but its soundtrack is actually pretty good, one of the better soundtracks in the series. I don't think there's a single track I don't like in this game, but I'll just pick the Skyscraper/Big Donut music and call it a day, really wish they just returned it in its original form in Mario Kart Wii and 7, because those rearrangements I found bad.

Its sound design is generally pleasant and good, and hitting characters in that game is pretty satisfying with that extreme doppler effect applied to them.

Plus it has a delightfully brutal 4th place ending.

i didnt like rayman 2 and im struggling to think of things i like about it
i can say the camera controls were cretainyl better than in 3. with som key remapping (that i had to do EXTERNALLY because the game literally doesnt have a native keymapping option) i set camera controls to the numpad and it was p nice. in rayman 3 theyre stuck to the mouse and it was incredibly clunky to the point where i found it easier to just use the first person camera
the aesthetic was kind of neat in retrospect
uhh most of the estabilished characters were introduced here so good for it i guess. that was the only ever appearance of uglette who had neat character design ironicalyl due to being merely a recolor and then she was bareley even in the only game she even appeaers in so whats the point

yeahh these are barely worth noting. if there are any more positives i sure as hell cant remember them over the times the game has utterly frustrated me
and i can not think of any other game i dislike really so theres that

Mario Kart Wii has some very decent music, but the gameplay isn't my type and all of its characters are very generic for mario

Paper Mario: Color Splash has good music, some interesting levels and mechanics (I especially liked the SMB3 level in the green energy plant), and Huey was a very good character. Didn't like the game overall due to limited / generic / vanilla story and characters especially compared to how great the series used to be in that regard, plus the gameplay was boring often.

Haven't played sticker star but imagine a similar thing would apply once i do (which i will at some point)

Mario & Luigi Paper Jam has okay gameplay and still has Starlow in it, but I'm overall very dissappointed with this game being a very lackluster crossover with no other original characters from either Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi, especially a dissappointment given this game directly follows the fantastic Dream Team. Also it seems to not even acknowledge the first three paper mario games at all, and its paper stuff seems entirely just based on sticker star. (note i'm currently in the early ish stages of my first playthrough of this game so maybe my view could change later on)

wdym Funky Kong is generic

Funky Kong is the most profound Mario Kart racer. His name alone sends shivers down even the most experienced Mario Kart Wii veterans. He's so good at Mario Kart that Nintendo put him in a mobile game instead of Mario Kart 7 and 8 in order to try and extinguish Funky's extreme kart racing prowess.

Which is currently working quite well, I should say.

Back