Thing you don't like in games you otherwise like. (Not Mario Edition)

Mario Fan

Mario
Pronouns
He/Him
Dark Light made the original thread, but that was in marioverse, so I made a new one for not mario.

I don't know if it counts, but I was trying to beat Red Dead Redemption 2 blind but got spoiled on the ending while watching a GTA Online livestream due to people spoiling the ending in the stream chat, and after that, I refused to play the game despite people trying to convince me to play it, saying that the journey matters more than the ending.

I found that the Tomb Raider games (I've only played the survivor trilogy) got a bit too violent for my liking at times and I also felt that all three were shorter than I'd like them to be

Monetization in The Sims 4 is the absolute worst part of the game, which has been part of The Sims ever since its inception. The game itself has plenty of issues, notably bugs and omissions that were in the past Sims titles (one of them is the ability to keep parrots as small pets, horses as full on pets like cats and dogs, fairies as an occult type) but those pale in comparison to the full price of the game. Currently, the full thing will cost you $940. It's going to surpass a thousand dollars at this point but this is absolutely grotesque, especially when expansions such as Cottage Living, Get Famous, Cats & Dogs, etc cost 40 dollars a pop, when they don't even add all that much to the game in the first place (Get Famous pretty much gives you the ability to gain fame, lots, a new world, and build/buy/CAS items, it's like this for all expansion packs). This is not to say of the smaller items such as kits which add fuck all aside from build/buy objects that recycle functionality and kits, bare minimum items that cost five dollars a pop (all 13 kits will run you 65 dollars, literally just furniture objects and clothes). Let's not even get started on how broken My Wedding Stories launched, and that cost people 20 dollars.

Forza Horizon 4 seriously expects people to pay for an item that reveals objects on the map? No fucking thanks. Its online implementation is ham-fisted, never liked how it by default connects you with playing with other people in this world, other people you don't care about, other people that just exist just to exist. Also, being nature of an open world game, has some annoying objects such as trying to three star going from one place of the map to another, and if you fail, you need to travel all the way back just to start it again. Wheelspins are also annoying because they flood it with worthless clothes customizations for your driver, your driver has bare minimum customization to begin with and you barely see them outside the vehicle. And some of the grind to get some of the cars can be ludicrous, particularly the cars that cost 10,000,000 CR. Also had the game crash on me once while in the midst of me designing a decal design, thanks game.

Left 4 Dead 2 needs some qol mods to get it better. One of them is getting a sourcemod that lets bots pick up throwables and hand them to you so you always have a reliable kit of it and it emulates human play better, plus there are sourcemods out there that give bots the ability to defib you while they couldn't do it in the base game; bots are generally a bit dumb and will let themselves get killed all the time. Some maps are a bit of a slog to play through, thinking entirely of Cold Stream's maps. Also, the jockey is a bit bugged and his sounds don't even play properly and are inconsistent with the rest of the cast. Plus, the Last Stand update made playing in other languages very janky because lines from foreign languages are outright missing so you have bilingual characters all over the place.

Garry's Mod takes an eternity to load and relies on an ancient engine. GTA V is also prone to crashing and is developed by abusive Rockstar.

i absolutely adore angry birds epic but im not going to excuse some racist enemy design. you can see it here on the right
unknown.png

why do the ninja pigs (clearly based on asian people) have a permament squint???? WHY did they carry it over to minecraft this recently too?????
in addition epic also has the pigmy enemies which evoke native american stereotypes and. their enemy type (or whatever idk) is called "wildlings". in addition a couple other games (angry birds fight, and i think there was an artwork in angry birds blast or something other???) have native american headdresses as a thing you can just put on your birds, which is also insensitive ( https://apihtawikosisan.com/hall-of-shame/an-open-letter-to-non-natives-in-headdresses/ )
its not very common but jesus christ angry birds stop doing that i BEG you

on a uh
lighter note
im not the biggest fan of all the friend features in epic but its actually surprisingly manageable thanks to stuff like being able to open friend gates one slot per day after using piggy mc cool in a daily dungeon, and being able to use three select pigs in chronicle cave for like 12 hours
angry birds stella has really annoying wall levels theyre just huge and really hard to 3 star. at least the music kinda slaps
bad piggies. not the biggest fan of road to el porkado so far. like i play it a bit and im like "im beginning to understand why i kind of stopped playing this as often" but then i realise like. no its just this world thats just really weird and confusing the rest of the game has normal level design

spore is often uncooperative when making creations. not much to say there theres just a bunch of little annoyances (they barely afefct me though ive been playing for so long)
also considering a troubling experience yesterday. i wish it had a confirmation pop up if you try to force close it with the middle click. because i accidentally middle clicked it instead of some other app and then i lost all my progress on the adventure i was making!!! well at least i remade it better and saved a lot the whole way through. but either way. a pop up if you try to close it directly is def viable if paint and paint.net can do it
these are both minor complaints like yeah the game is very flawed but i love it too much to find anything that bothers me

starbound. i like a lot but its dev/publisher company is piss and also they abandoned the game there hasnt been a major update since june 2019 (3 years ago!) and the only other thing they had after that was a "starbound is on xbox game pass on pc lmao also were working on the console ports dude trust me" in late 2020. yeah . thats it. im convinced thats it. idk if its silly to hope for any more additional updates after its full release but like, it kept happening to terraria and minecraft which are mildly similar
ALSO. Speaking of chucklefish again. i also hate that this game that i still love so much,... had instances of employee mistreatment during development, had tiy (the main dev guy) approach mod makers to develop for the game "for exposure" YES without paying them, apparently even toby heckinf fox had a bad expereince with him. this all just. hurts me im so attached to the game but chucklefish and the main dev are so scummy
as for the actual game itself well swansong was super annoying it was just unfairly hard even with hte strongest mech possible. you dont get to heal during the fight because the energy things hardly pop up and then they just wont on the second phase so if you enter it on low health youre screwed. according to old discord messages i had to resort to outright cheating (i kept spawning in different mech parts) several times whereas i usually refuse to do that in the rest of the game (i will spawn in items but only if they have no gameplay use, or are unavailable for some reason liek the parasol, or the one time i ilterally just could not find a gun for the first mission so i had to generate one) and apparently the mech part you get for beating it isnt even good LMAO
also getting TO swansong by doing the bounties is actually super repetitive

OK so I love Trainz: A New Era a lot, but if you install custom content into the game (as I do with my Thomas & Friends mods), you'll often have to download and install additional dependencies to get whatever you've installed to either work properly (for things such as locomotives and rolling stock, like a locomotive might need separate assets for its bogie, the cab interior, horn sounds, whistles, etc, you know?) or, in the case of custom routes you've installed, you might be missing various things in the route like buildings, trees, people, track, etc.

I don't mind this because if the game installed every single asset when you downloaded the game, the game's file size would likely be massive and this way you just download the assets you need for the custom content you have installed.

But what I don't like is how goddamn slow and limited the download speeds are unless you pay up for what the developers call a 'First Class Ticket' (prices range from $4.49 for a week to $34.69 for a year) or sign up for one of their Trainz membership subscriptions (prices range from $34.69/year for the membership that just gives you a First Class Ticket subscription to $129.49/year for the fanciest option that gives you, among other things, First Class Ticket access, 25% discount on the Trainz Store, access to all DLCs, access to DLC before they come out, and access to both Trainz: A New Era and Trainz: 2019)

Now sure, I'll admit that even the $129.49 option is cheap when you look at it by how much you'd pay per month (it's like $10/month) but they basically force you into buying one of their paid options (even if you only opt to just buy a FCT) because, without a ticket, your download speed is capped at 15 KILOBYTES/second. Just for context if you don't know how slow that is, if you were to download a file that was just 10 megabytes in size, it would take over 11 minutes to download. Adding in that you'll often need to download multiple dependencies to get your custom content to work, so it could potentially take hours to download and install everything because the developers refuse to upgrade the download speed for non-FCT users from borderline dial-up speeds (seriously dial-up speeds capped out at 56 kb/s, which is 7 KB/s, so the 15 KB/s free download speed cap is literally just over twice the speed of dial-up). Like if you want to cap free user download speeds, I get it and that's fine, but are you seriously going to sit there and tell me they can't afford to give free users download speeds higher than 15 KB/s? I'd be fine if the cap was like 1 MB/s or something tbh.

ALSO this isn't actually directly related to Trainz: A New era itself but sometimes assets you need aren't found on the Download Station (the thing you use to download assets) and the website you downloaded your custom content from didn't include them so you have to use this third-party index site where you can search for the missing assets by their ID number but that website itself costs money if you want to actually view and download the search results. I mean it's only $15/year which is, you know, like fucking nothing in the grand scheme of things but it's just annoying like goddamn I just want to find the missing assets for my Thomas & Friends stuff why do I have to pay more money for this argh.

Spore is like one of the best games ever made but it has several issues and not just issues nonfans of the game have regarding gameplay in its stages.

For one, it's very buggy. I've had the game crash at multiple inopportune moments, and not just me breaking adventures, but crashing whenever an empire tries to call me to solve their Eco Disaster issue. And speaking of Eco Disasters, those happen far too frequently; it was even patched at a later date to be less frequent but those interruptions are still heavily frequent. Those alien allies have their own fleet of warships yet they need your help eradicating these species? At least you can set up the two eco disaster mitigating things in your own empire so it never strikes there but seriously? The same thing happens when random pirates invade like their home planet or something, and they then chastise you for not coming over and saving their sorry ass when you installed an uber turret and all these turrets in their city for a reason.

Destroying the Grox? Good luck with that. They have 2,400 star systems with over 5,000 planets and even more cities within them you need to destroy, individually. It's not like destroying their individual cities is difficult at all but 2,400 star systems? I never got close to even killing them entirely because I don't have that sort of patience to repetitively and tediously eat them out.

The complexity meter you see in the creators are 100% arbitrary. I know this game was made to run in 32 bit systems but come on, it's very limiting and many seasoned creatures will run across it at some point.

Paint options in the Spore creature creators is incredibly lacking, relying on only three colors for the most part and heavily reliant on set colors for parts. Vehicles and buildings fare much better.

Sporepedia has next to no curation. "Creators" can freely upload the same copy and pasted shitty asset to Sporepedia a bazillion times making finding an asset you want to be an arduous chore. Sporepedia also had the issue of downvoters running rampant, downvoting creations to oblivion and reducing exposure they have to the main page.

Forcing you to play Adventure Town so you can have access to making Adventures to begin with? Terrible design choice, especially since I installed Galactic Adventures countless times so I had to load and exit out of that adventure so many times.

Reactions: zel
I love Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled to death, but the Pit Stop prices are RIDICULOUS.

It costs 1,500 Wumpa Coins for one character. Karts are 3100 and above. Character skins are 2,500. Decals and stickers vary.

Worst of all, the Pit Stop is randomized, meaning it's luck if you see something you desperately want.

And yes MTX are bad, but I don't do those.

The Kingdom Hearts franchise has some of the best hack and slash mechanics, with incredible fan service from both the Disney side and Final Fantasy side……………………but even the most hardcore fans will admit the overall lore sucks.

Most generations of Pokemon: there's no field multiplayer despite having so many spots everywhere made visually for 2+ people.

I dislike when important information is conveyed once (through dialogue or in cutscenes) without subtitles or some sort of textual record, such as in God of War II.

I love all three Legend of Spyro console games, but as much as I love them, I hate how you have such a tiny little health bar in the first and second games that you die constantly. Like, they had so much more health than that in both the DS and the Game Boy Advance versions (if I remember right), so I think the developers seriously screwed up. Yeah. I hate that.

I love sonic games, but I wish I could play all or atleast most stages as other characters, and yes, you can I some games, but i can't use knuckles in Sonic unleashed, I can't play as tails in sonic forces (despite the lack of playable content in general) I can't play as mighty in sonic generations, I can't play as fang in sonic superstars, I can't play as Amy in adventure 2, I can't play as bean AT ALL (fighters doesn't count), my point being, you can't play as characters YOU SHOULD be able to play as, mainly because of them being not THE main character, and because of that, most of the time you play as some version of sonic, and I'm upset about it

Back