Green Hill Mafia (Lounge and Sign-ups) (Work in progress! Not accepting anyone yet!)

Bugzzy

“I'm the king of insects! And Avalance!”
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
OhoJeeOnFire
Hello!

Welcome to Green Hill Mafia!

To play, there are two teams; the critters and the badniks. To win, either the critters kick out all the badniks, or there are an equal number or more badniks than critters. (This means that there will be at least twice as many critters as badniks.) There are two different times; Act 1 and Act 2. In Act 1, players vote for who will be kicked out of the game. When one is kicked out, their role is revealed. In Act 2, players can go around and do their night tasks.

Possible Tasks Are:
Rest (The player becomes offline for the Act, but will wake up when an emergency meeting is called.)
Capture (exclucive to badniks) (Captures a critter for the Act, disabling any actions and doesn't allow the critter to speak the next Act. Only one critter at a time can be captured.)
Hide (exclusive to critters) (The critter hides for the Act and nobody will be able to see the critter.)
Turn on/off (exclusive to badniks) (Acts the same as Rest, but will not wake up until the next Act or until disabled.)
Fake Out (exclusive to critters) (Fakes a capture to trick the other team.)
Emergency Meeting (Calls everyone (badniks that are turned on and all critters) to a meeting, in which a voting system will happen to either kick someone out or not. Only one emergency meeting can happen each Act 2.)

This is the lounge/sign up thread.

If you want to join, post here with an underlined message, like this.

There will be a total of 20 players needed. At least 8 players are needed and up to 3 replacements are allowed.​

Last edited:
How does an emergency meeting work? Does it just turn the phase into a second day phase? Do the mafia still get to choose someone to kill themselves? Do the mafia even choose someone to kill in the first place?

How does an emergency meeting work? Does it just turn the phase into a second day phase? Do the mafia still get to choose someone to kill themselves? Do the mafia even choose someone to kill in the first place?
Ah, yes. I forgot to explain that. Here it is:
How an emergency meeting works:
Everyone will discuss what they did, saw, and/or think who is a badnik. Once everyone voted, the results get recorded down. The player with the most points gets kicked out. If there is a tie, nobody gets kicked out. The mafia can still kill after that. They can choose who they want to kill in Act 2, but they can only kill one critter at a time.​

Last edited:
I'm not going to be signing up for this between playing World of Plight Mafia and working on 'Shroom Mafia 4 pretty soon after that, but I'm going to try and help you out here, whether this advice would be used for this game or attempts you might make at hosting in the future. You probably noticed that both this game and World of Plight went up around the same time, but that game got ten signups in the first 24 hours and this one hasn't had much interest. If I had to guess a big part of the lack of interest is because you've left a lot of questions unanswered, so allow me to ask some of those questions:
  • You've outlined the new features of your game to an extent, but what about some of the basics? How long are the day/night phases? Are there roles? What are the rules of the game (not gameplay, but actual rules)? Anything else we need to know that I didn't mention?
  • What's the point of resting, especially if you wake up anyway when an emergency meeting is called? What's the difference between this and a player just not submitting to perform a task if they don't want to?
  • What does hiding actually do? Does it make you immune to tasks? What about nightkills?
  • Why does the mafia have an exclusive action (turn on/off) that's just a worse version of resting, especially when they also have the ability to rest? There's no strategic advantage to skipping an emergency meeting since it gives you another chance to vote out a player. Additionally, knowing that the mafia has this ability from the outset will automatically make anyone who doesn't attend suspicious. From what I can tell anyone who uses this ability would just be shooting themselves in the foot.
  • What's the point of the fake out ability? Only the mafia can actually perform a real capture, and they already know who they are and who the innocents are. They're going to know a performed capture wasn't from them, and on the other hand, the innocents are going to have no way to know a "false capture" was done by an innocent rather than a mafia, so you're just going to throw false suspicion on yourself by doing this.
  • How does fake out work, anyway? How are other players supposed to be tricked by this if it doesn't do anything to the target? If it does do something, well, that's not exactly fake.
  • The emergency meeting mechanic doesn't really make sense in a forum game like this with phases that have set time limits. Keep in mind that there are players here from all across the world in different timezones. What guarantees that they'll all be able to attend? Since this is a night task, I assume the players will have to submit an action to you to trigger the meeting. How can you ensure that you can trigger it in a timely manner? What happens if someone triggers a meeting in, say, the last five minutes of the night phase?
  • Execution aside, the emergency meetings seem way too broken in favor of the innocents. The mafia can only kill during the night phase, but now all of the players can vote someone out during each day and night phase, so you've basically given the innocents the opportunity to remove players from the game twice as fast as the mafia. If the mafia is playing well enough, they might be able to overcome this, but if not, it's going to be hard to catch up.
Committing to a mafia game can take a decent amount of time and energy, and if the players aren't confident that the host knows what they're doing and can provide a good, well thought-out experience, they're not going to want to sign up. Forgive my bluntness, but this doesn't exactly inspire that confidence. Most of the new mechanics are either not well explained, or don't seem to be thought out enough for the game format, and there's not much demonstration of knowledge of the basic mafia mechanics here. You don't have to have played mafia before to host, but you do need to know how the game works, and if it doesn't look like you do (whether you actually do or not), that's a problem.

I'm not going to be signing up for this between playing World of Plight Mafia and working on 'Shroom Mafia 4 pretty soon after that, but I'm going to try and help you out here, whether this advice would be used for this game or attempts you might make at hosting in the future. You probably noticed that both this game and World of Plight went up around the same time, but that game got ten signups in the first 24 hours and this one hasn't had much interest. If I had to guess a big part of the lack of interest is because you've left a lot of questions unanswered, so allow me to ask some of those questions:
  • You've outlined the new features of your game to an extent, but what about some of the basics? How long are the day/night phases? Are there roles? What are the rules of the game (not gameplay, but actual rules)? Anything else we need to know that I didn't mention?
  • What's the point of resting, especially if you wake up anyway when an emergency meeting is called? What's the difference between this and a player just not submitting to perform a task if they don't want to?
  • What does hiding actually do? Does it make you immune to tasks? What about nightkills?
  • Why does the mafia have an exclusive action (turn on/off) that's just a worse version of resting, especially when they also have the ability to rest? There's no strategic advantage to skipping an emergency meeting since it gives you another chance to vote out a player. Additionally, knowing that the mafia has this ability from the outset will automatically make anyone who doesn't attend suspicious. From what I can tell anyone who uses this ability would just be shooting themselves in the foot.
  • What's the point of the fake out ability? Only the mafia can actually perform a real capture, and they already know who they are and who the innocents are. They're going to know a performed capture wasn't from them, and on the other hand, the innocents are going to have no way to know a "false capture" was done by an innocent rather than a mafia, so you're just going to throw false suspicion on yourself by doing this.
  • How does fake out work, anyway? How are other players supposed to be tricked by this if it doesn't do anything to the target? If it does do something, well, that's not exactly fake.
  • The emergency meeting mechanic doesn't really make sense in a forum game like this with phases that have set time limits. Keep in mind that there are players here from all across the world in different timezones. What guarantees that they'll all be able to attend? Since this is a night task, I assume the players will have to submit an action to you to trigger the meeting. How can you ensure that you can trigger it in a timely manner? What happens if someone triggers a meeting in, say, the last five minutes of the night phase?
  • Execution aside, the emergency meetings seem way too broken in favor of the innocents. The mafia can only kill during the night phase, but now all of the players can vote someone out during each day and night phase, so you've basically given the innocents the opportunity to remove players from the game twice as fast as the mafia. If the mafia is playing well enough, they might be able to overcome this, but if not, it's going to be hard to catch up.
Committing to a mafia game can take a decent amount of time and energy, and if the players aren't confident that the host knows what they're doing and can provide a good, well thought-out experience, they're not going to want to sign up. Forgive my bluntness, but this doesn't exactly inspire that confidence. Most of the new mechanics are either not well explained, or don't seem to be thought out enough for the game format, and there's not much demonstration of knowledge of the basic mafia mechanics here. You don't have to have played mafia before to host, but you do need to know how the game works, and if it doesn't look like you do (whether you actually do or not), that's a problem.
I know. It's still a work in progress.

Back