Would CERO give SM64DS a C on further re-releases?

FirePuppy

Koopa Troopa
I've heard that some video game rating guidelines have changed over these years, like PEGI giving games an automatic "18" if they "encouraged or taught gambling", like the old Pokemon games and a few Rec Room minigames from Super Mario 64 DS.

Do you think CERO would rate these same games a "C" (15 and up) if Japan followed suit? 'Cause for what I know, gambling by today's standards is usually an automatic C in Japan.

sm64ds cero.png

I've heard that some video game rating guidelines have changed over these years, like PEGI giving games an automatic "18" if they "encouraged or taught gambling", like the old Pokemon games and a few Rec Room minigames from Super Mario 64 DS.

Do you think CERO would rate these same games a "C" (15 and up) if Japan followed suit? 'Cause for what I know, gambling by today's standards is usually an automatic C in Japan.

View attachment 22511
Probably, unless they remove the gambling minigames or replace them with something else. If that happens the game would probably get an A.

Mario Party 3 would have followed the same principle because of the Game Guy minigames. Even then, I don't get why Super Mario 64 DS saw rereleases despite the gambling element, while Mario Party 3 isn't rereleased. Maybe there's another factor on why Mario Party 3 didn't get rereleased.

Thank you for reading.

I mean the Wii U Virtual Console release of Super Mario 64 DS was still rated A and while it could have changed in the six years since then, I don't recall reading any news about CERO giving games with gambling an automatic C rating.

In fact, if there was any change to this, it would have happened in the past four years since the VC release of Pokémon Crystal on is also rated A in Japan.

I mean the Wii U Virtual Console release of Super Mario 64 DS was still rated A and while it could have changed in the six years since then, I don't recall reading any news about CERO giving games with gambling an automatic C rating.

In fact, if there was any change to this, it would have happened in the past four years since the VC release of Pokémon Crystal on is also rated A in Japan.
Well, get this: I looked in the Japanese Wikipedia, and technically, there aren't any video games classified "A" or "B" that have gambling (" ギャンブル ") in them, but there are in "C" games.

Ah yes because Wikipedia is always 100% reliable.

(Also A rated games by CERO don't actually use any of the content icons for things like gambling, violence, sexual content, etc. anyways)

Yeah Mario Kart Tour is basically Gambling with Mario & Friends
Yeah it getting a C would actually be beneficial because then parents would be more likely to force their kids to not suffer from how much of a badly done cash grab it is lmao

If game ratings can have Mario Kart Tour suitable for children, then, sure, this one can stay an A.
This so much. Why does the "aesthetic" of traditional gambling carry more concern and need for high age ratings than an actual gambling model for a game? SM64DS just has fun minigames that sometimes have a gambling theme, but no real currency is used so it's just for fun? THINK OF THE CHILDREN! Mario Kart Tour is literally designed around getting players to throw real money at RNG until it gives them the thing they want? No problems here!

This so much. Why does the "aesthetic" of traditional gambling carry more concern and need for high age ratings than an actual gambling model for a game? SM64DS just has fun minigames that sometimes have a gambling theme, but no real currency is used so it's just for fun? THINK OF THE CHILDREN! Mario Kart Tour is literally designed around getting players to throw real money at RNG until it gives them the thing they want? No problems here!

But what I can say? Gambling laws have become too strict in certain countries, so there's nothing we can do about it.

CERO doesn't seem to have much of an issue with mild simulated gambling in otherwise kid-friendly games; it's mainly PEGI (Europe) and GRAC (South Korea) that do.

Last edited:
BU
CERO doesn't seem to have much of an issue with mild simulated gambling in otherwise kid-friendly games; it's mainly PEGI (Europe) and GRAC (South Korea) that do.

But the game still could get a C with the minigames intact if the laws suddenly change.

You know, it is rather surprising that not every game that contains microtransactions would be vulnerable to that kind of law change. What Activision did to CTR: Nitro-Fueled! was just inexcusable, even if the Pit Stop contents were merely aesthetic.

But the game still could get a C with the minigames intact if the laws suddenly change.
Not sure what "laws" you're referring to here. Many countries, including Japan, regulate simulated gambling completely separately from its real-life counterpart.

Back