The Next Mario Kart

Sure, but at the end of the day I care more that the tracks are good, not that they are based off something.

I mean it's telling some of the best MK tracks aren't based on anything at all.

I miss how good the tracks were in N64 and Double Dash.

After spending my time back and forth, mulling in 200cc Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Forza Horizon 4, further thoughts.

• 200cc is very playable in every track in the game, and is, in fact, closer to racing in Forza than 150cc and lower modes, though turns in 200cc are still very easy to handle so you won't veer off course in even Cheese Land. The part where the path splits and the right path with the boost panel ramp in Toad Harbor, for example, requires you to let go of the gas before the ramp to reliably make the turn because if you floor or trick through the ramp otherwise, you hit the walls on the left and right and can lose control of yourself, which is like other racing games where you can't keep the gas pedal floored at all times. Keep in mind I typically use lightweight characters, however, so 200cc may be easier for me to handle than, say, heavier cars, but I tend to notice little difference in approaching difficult turns when I pick, say, Mr. Scooty on Rollers vs Badwagon on Monsters. 200cc needs to return in every Mario Kart going forward, so people who don't like the higher speed can stick with lower cc's while people like myself would strongly appreciate the high speed, but I still think a bump in speed can be needed in all parts of the game.
  • I want more whack modes. Give me a racing mode where you have balloons and if you're eliminated with items, you're out of the race. Give me a racing mode where all cars are replaced with Bomb Cars. Give me a mode where touching anything causes you to blow up, including items, walls, and other racers. Give me a mode where fire rains on the track constantly ala Grumble Volcano. Give me a mode with a huge amount of Thwomps on the track. Give me a mode with completely random items.
  • Add a day/night cycle to every track. You can have it sync to system time, have it at a random time of the day at random, or have it locked to a specific time of the day. It would be disabled on some tracks, namely Rainbow Road, but day/night mods for tracks are hugely popular.
  • Add multiple musics per track, not just one. Add a My Music option for tracks. Many racing games employ a radio system which cycles through songs. Heck, have the option to at least listen to the classic variants of songs. At least have the option to turn off your music.
  • CAMERA ANGLES. Why is there no first person view in Mario Kart 8, something that is a staple in practically every racing game? Mario Kart 7 had one. Hell, even Kirby Air Ride had an adjustable camera! I can't believe it took until Wii to add a rear view mirror when something like Beetle Adventure Racing on the N64 had this a long time ago. Even Mario Kart 64 had some camera options.
  • WHERE DID THE SPEEDOMETER GO. That was in Mario Kart: Double Dash, why was it taken out? Why not be toggleable? Mario Kart 64's speedometer was toggleable!

The speedometer's a pretty baffling omission because without any reliable side-by-side driving, you don't have much idea how much faster you are, and you don't know how much coins really do increase your speed; you have to intuit it, but you want more precise numbers.

The speedometer's a pretty baffling omission because without any reliable side-by-side driving, you don't have much idea how much faster you are, and you don't know how much coins really do increase your speed; you have to intuit it, but you want more precise numbers.

I'd like Speed-O-Meter added.

Back