Mario Fanfic Share & Discuss

Veneer

back in business, baby
Pronouns
He/It
MarioWiki
Crazy Mr. L Fanguy
alt title most notable mario fanfics lmao

I've been meaning to make this thread for a while now, since I see how popular Mario fanart is here I felt that fanfics deserve the same treatment. Unlike the format of MNMFA though, I want to also be able to talk about and review fics, not just post some links and get reactions.

Basic Rules:
  1. Only E, E10+, and T rated fics allowed, we don't need lemon here thanks.
  2. Please post only good quality fics, this includes good spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Exception to this rule are "chat log" fics like this.
  3. I am fine with any ship fics in reason, but don't start ship wars here.
  4. Please specify when fics are unfinished/abandoned, some people don't wanna spend hours on a 30-chapter fic only for it to have no ending.
Mods feel free to add more if needed

First fanfic I wanna share today:

Luigi's Grocery Run - TragischeHagelslag - Super Mario Bros. (Video Games) [Archive of Our Own] (Unfinished, possibly Abandoned)

The tags alone let me know this was gonna be a stellar fanfic! The Mario has ADHD and Luigi has autism tag has ever failed me, and honestly has some of the best Mario characterization. Just read this excerpt:

"
"Luigi!" Mario called from another aisle. His head popped up above as he hopped, showing off his usual jumping skills.

"They have-" Jump! "A new kinda-" Jump! "Mushroom shake-" Jump! "With chocolate flavour-" Jump! "Mined from-" Jump! "Choco Mountain…!"

That did sound exciting. Luigi noticeably piped up and went to join up with his bro, leaving the trolley behind.

Mario eagerly pointed at the stuff and handed one over to Luigi. "Can you check if there's no dairy in it? Y'know, so it doesn't give me gas and all that. Ha, ha."

"That's gross, Mario," Luigi said in a deadpan tone and scanned the ingredients, something he was used to doing himself thanks to his diet. "Aight, it's pure mushroom, you're gonna be fine-"

But before he got a chance to tell him, Mario had darted off.
"

Like??? Mario would totally act like this, and Luigi's playful sass to him just makes it 100% better. Also Wario's here and the fic is based on Luigi's Mansion so like wins all around. What we have so far is an easy 10/10. (ALSO MINI GOOIGI MY CHILD)

Mimi Coming Out Of Her Room To Shame L-Kind - bimothra - Super Paper Mario (Game) [Archive of Our Own] (One-Shot, Finished)

"

"Grambi, it is 3AM and I can HEAR YOU from HALFWAY ACROSS THE CASTLE."

"GO. TO. BED."

The shrieking that was coming out of Mimi's mouth that was enough to frighten even the most hardened Koopa Troopa was met with a half-hearted grunt and a quiet "in a minute". She sighed, hiking up her silk nightgown (because let's be honest, a garage is the last place a nightgown should be) and sitting down in a stool near the culprit of all this nighttime racket.

Mr. L, still not glancing up from the giant mass of steel he was working on, put his hand out silently.

"Golly, Mr. L, I know I'm a lady, but we don't HAVE to hold hands," she said sarcastically.

"No! The screwdriver. Fetch me the screwdriver," Mr. L grumbled. "And make it snappy."
"

...Do I need show more? Literal 10/10 WITH THE FIRST LINES ALONE!!

you will not stay broken (not on my watch) - vikavoltite - Super Mario & Related Fandoms [Archive of Our Own] (Long One-Shot, Finished)

I wanna mention @Penguin Mario for this one, as this is an example of a GREAT brotherly fluff hurt/comfort fic, and why I scour the tags. I feel like my discussion in that thread made it seem all of this genre of fics are bad, but it totally isn't like that. This fic does use the common "Luigi is unloved" trope so I will take off points for that, making this an 8/10 fic.

So yeah, that's the format of sharing fics I will use, and I hope other people will join in and share as well :3

If it's okay, I'd like to ask something here.

I need some ideas for the next edition of Luigi's Requiem (not sure if this is the place to do this, but i cant think of any other threads)

"
"Luigi!" Mario called from another aisle. His head popped up above as he hopped, showing off his usual jumping skills.

"They have-" Jump! "A new kinda-" Jump! "Mushroom shake-" Jump! "With chocolate flavour-" Jump! "Mined from-" Jump! "Choco Mountain…!"

That did sound exciting. Luigi noticeably piped up and went to join up with his bro, leaving the trolley behind.

Mario eagerly pointed at the stuff and handed one over to Luigi. "Can you check if there's no dairy in it? Y'know, so it doesn't give me gas and all that. Ha, ha."

"That's gross, Mario," Luigi said in a deadpan tone and scanned the ingredients, something he was used to doing himself thanks to his diet. "Aight, it's pure mushroom, you're gonna be fine-"

But before he got a chance to tell him, Mario had darted off.
"
Hahaha I imagine Mario jumping OVER the aisles for some reason.

Luigi rolls his eyes. What a show-off.

Do people usually write Luigi as a bit more meticulous? I feel that's just a common trait people put in Luigi even though the games rarely, if at all, explicitly show it.

I have a couple of these that I can share!

Stand Up and Fight, Luigi! by Lilypetal347 is a fic about Luigi's feelings during Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, and it's a very sweet fic that I love going back to.

That one describes canon events, but if you want something a little more canon divergent, Dream of Me by Katie_Dazuru discusses Mr. L's feelings toward Mario with the lens that some of Luigi's old memories of him surface through when Mr. L is here like, "I have no clue who that is." Very interesting read!

you will not stay broken (not on my watch) by vikavoltite is a sweet hurt/comfort fic with Mario comforting Luigi in the aftermath of Luigi's Mansion 3.

I might have more, but here's a few just to start with!

EDIT: Not me realizing someone else already recommended the last one. Consider this post me going "OH YEAH I KNOW THAT ONE, I LOVE IT!" Whoops.

Back